Throwing stuff in the water

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 14th November 2012, 21:24

Throwing stuff in the water

I remember a post that told you how not to throw projectiles all the way to the deep water, but forgot where it was. So I asking: I'm playing as a ogre hunter, and the lair branch has swamp. What's the best to way to save ammo? I think there was a way to press a certain key to make projectiles stop at that very space you click.

Also, should I not be too concerned about throwing stuff in the deep water? I trained throwing to 8 so Oka's giving ammos from time to time(sometimes too much). And I have 11~12 large rocks lying around.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 14th November 2012, 21:25

Re: Throwing stuff in the water

Press f to fire, then press . to confirm. The missile will stop at the targeted square.

Note that large rocks have a variable limit on range. You may not be able to reach the edge of LOS with them, and if you're throwing them over deep water, it's possible that they could be lost if they fall short.

Edit: I like to use flaming darts in Swamp. The steam clouds do extra damage to enemies in water.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 14th November 2012, 23:31

Don't care too much for your rock, past lair you will find plenty because of those giants..

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Thursday, 15th November 2012, 16:10

If it were me I'd be saving my Large Rocks for other branches, making do with something a bit weaker. Flame Darts are an option for the steam, that's true. Got any Javelins of Returning? Problem solved right there! And of course, you can just choose to throw in short-range situations and where no deep water seems to be present. Don't throw at Swamp Worms or anything aquatic (or in the water in general), and don't throw at Insubstantial Wisps or Vapours because they have a shit-ton of evasion, but don't do very much damage, so better to just get in close and bonk them to death. If a dangerous Unique shows up such as Nikola or Kirlie or Norris, consider wasting a few rocks to kill them as quickly as you can; DON'T do this for Donald unless you like your rock getting Reflected right back at you for Great Justice.

And remember, kids: Please use rocks responsibly!
--Schwa, your local muse forever and long-time High Elf fangirl ^_~
(also the master of Quadri-Birds)

TheProvocateur: I like how we're sprinting at a pile of greater mummies

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 15th November 2012, 17:42

Actually, it would be nice if the game automatically limited firing/throwing ammo to the target distance (i.e. it behaved as if you had used '.' on the target) and it was instead an override to fire beyond the target. This seems like it would better fit the game's goals (because using "." is usually optimal, but tedious.)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 15th November 2012, 17:55

I'm assuming by that you mean making ff do what f. does now?

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 15th November 2012, 21:53

Right. Basically, I think the default behavior should be switched.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 15th November 2012, 21:56

I don't agree that the default should be switched; it is more often useful for your projectiles to hit targets behind the one you're aiming at than it is for them to stop ... liquids are not very common outside of a few areas.

Most of the time you do not want to fire with . ; you want to fire with f or enter

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 15th November 2012, 22:52

Although I didn't say it, I meant in the situation where the flight path would continue into water/lava.

Basically:
  Code:
IF (path continues into liquid) AND (target is not in liquid) THEN
    stop flight path at target (or perhaps at the edge of liquid)
ELSE
    current behavior

My fault for not being clear.

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 26th November 2012, 19:47

Perhaps I'm the odd one out, but one of the things I like about Crawl is that it doesn't do these things for me - it behaves in a very predicable fashion and only deviates when I order it to do so.

EDIT: Sometimes I find out about the predictable fashion after I've died to my own misunderstanding of the situation, but that's on me, not on Crawl imo.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice