Monk armor question

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Lair Larrikin

Post Wednesday, 14th November 2012, 03:44

Monk armor question

I play a human monk and i used to just use robes so I didnt get an EV penalty. But recently someone told me I should use leather armor because the extra AC is better than the EV penalty. is this true? and if so should I train armor up to a certain point or just ignore that skill and focus more on dodging?

Mines Malingerer

Post Wednesday, 14th November 2012, 03:58

Re: Monk armor question

If you are trying to create an EV-based unarmed fighter, I would certainly use leather. The EV penalty is minimal but the protection is much better. Once it was available I would use a troll or dragon hide.

I do not understand all the workings of the Armour skill, but I tend to ignore it on EV-based (light armour) characters. Certainly at least in the early to mid game you will have other skills that will be more useful (like unarmed and dodging). In the late game if you have XP burning a hole in your pocket it would be useful to get a few levels of armour.
Wins: {SpVM}, {HOFi}, {MfSk, 15}, {MiFi}, {OpWz}, {VpEn}, {KoEn}, {DsFi}, {SpEn}x2, {MiBe}x2, {HEGl}, {VpEn}, {OpEn}, {HOGl, 10}, {DEEn}.
My CAO player page

For this message the author Styro has received thanks:
haagon

Lair Larrikin

Post Wednesday, 14th November 2012, 04:01

ok thank you that's what i thought and just one last question. so things like cloaks and boots and gloves and helmets give you absolutely no EV penalty at all right? so i should always wear them when given the chance?

Lair Larrikin

Post Wednesday, 14th November 2012, 04:03

sorry i just remembered should I also use all of my level up points on dexterity?

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Wednesday, 14th November 2012, 09:49

haagon wrote:sorry i just remembered should I also use all of my level up points on dexterity?

Yes, unless you intend to be casting spells (in which case, Int).

Mines Malingerer

Post Wednesday, 14th November 2012, 14:48

haagon wrote:so things like cloaks and boots and gloves and helmets give you absolutely no EV penalty at all right? so i should always wear them when given the chance?

Yes, you are correct. They are always worth wearing, even if they are +0, because each piece of armour decreases the damage you take from acid attacks. The only time to consider not wearing gloves is if you have the claws mutation I or II because it cancels the bonus damage. (You can't wear gloves if you have Claws III).
Wins: {SpVM}, {HOFi}, {MfSk, 15}, {MiFi}, {OpWz}, {VpEn}, {KoEn}, {DsFi}, {SpEn}x2, {MiBe}x2, {HEGl}, {VpEn}, {OpEn}, {HOGl, 10}, {DEEn}.
My CAO player page

Barkeep

Post Wednesday, 14th November 2012, 14:57

Psieye wrote:
haagon wrote:sorry i just remembered should I also use all of my level up points on dexterity?

Yes, unless you intend to be casting spells (in which case, Int).

And unless you're following Trog, you should be casting spells :)
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Lair Larrikin

Post Wednesday, 14th November 2012, 17:24

good thing I follow trog then haha

Barkeep

Post Wednesday, 14th November 2012, 17:43

If you're following Trog, you might find Berserker to be a better background than monk ;)
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice