How to survive as a Deep Elf Conjuror?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 17th December 2012, 08:04

Re: How to survive as a Deep Elf Conjuror?

crate wrote:The problem with using meph against orcs as spvm is you actually have to get closer to use it than to use sting, so you're actually putting yourself in more danger by using it than by not using it.

True in general, but it depends on the situation at hand. If you bump into them just around the corner, or if they are sleeping, you have a very nice chance.
Otherwise though, running back and positioning yourself well (just around a corner, for example) is a wise idea.
... and forgive us our YASDs,
As we forgive our developers,
And lead us not into the Abyss,
But deliver us from Sigmund,
For Thine is the Roguelike,
the Orb and the Victory,
now and forever.

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 17th December 2012, 20:07

That's what I generally do, even if it is not a good thing, find orcs, spam meph, spam magic bolt. Win. Sometimes die, more ofthen than not I don't. But meph is pretty awesome, so is iron shot :D
"Well excuse me, princess..."

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 17th December 2012, 20:13

Link wrote:That's what I generally do, even if it is not a good thing, find orcs, spam meph, spam magic bolt. Win. Sometimes die, more ofthen than not I don't.

Fair enough, if you know when to bail out and call it even :).
the Orb and the Victory,
now and forever.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Monday, 17th December 2012, 22:04

Link wrote:That's what I generally do, even if it is not a good thing, find orcs, spam meph, spam magic bolt. Win. Sometimes die, more ofthen than not I don't. But meph is pretty awesome, so is iron shot :D

The discussion was VM not Wz. VM have sting so there's no reason to meph orcs unless you can't get away in time. That effectively doesn't happen for Sp.

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 18th December 2012, 08:38

Psieye wrote:
Link wrote:That's what I generally do, even if it is not a good thing, find orcs, spam meph, spam magic bolt. Win. Sometimes die, more ofthen than not I don't. But meph is pretty awesome, so is iron shot :D

The discussion was VM not Wz. VM have sting so there's no reason to meph orcs unless you can't get away in time. That effectively doesn't happen for Sp.

This sounds a bit extreme - in fact, this happens quite a lot, mostly when turning a corner in an unexplored area. For me, it certainly does warrant a liberal use of meph, as it is definitely better than one smite to the face and another one to the back when running.
We are running around the same topic here for ages now. Let's just agree to disagree.
the Orb and the Victory,
now and forever.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Tuesday, 18th December 2012, 09:45

Zicher wrote:
Psieye wrote:

This sounds a bit extreme - in fact, this happens quite a lot, mostly when turning a corner in an unexplored area. For me, it certainly does warrant a liberal use of meph, as it is definitely better than one smite to the face and another one to the back when running.
We are running around the same topic here for ages now. Let's just agree to disagree.

Stealth. Using meph at all means you give up on stealth. If a priest gets 2 smites off on a Sp before you get out of LOS, you were very unlucky or were making noise. Granted I have a meph addiction too, but I can certainly see that it's not essential if stealth is used.

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 18th December 2012, 18:34

Psieye wrote:Stealth. Using meph at all means you give up on stealth. If a priest gets 2 smites off on a Sp before you get out of LOS, you were very unlucky or were making noise. Granted I have a meph addiction too, but I can certainly see that it's not essential if stealth is used.

I have to disagree again. By the early game, Stealth is nowhere near reliable to grant you even the one single turn to get out of an enemy's sight. It is better than usual, sure, but not reliable enough, and I certainly don't want to waste XP on Stealth in the early game.
the Orb and the Victory,
now and forever.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Tuesday, 18th December 2012, 21:51

Zicher wrote:By the early game, Stealth is nowhere near reliable to grant you even the one single turn to get out of an enemy's sight. It is better than usual, sure, but not reliable enough, and I certainly don't want to waste XP on Stealth in the early game.

Uh what? A SpVM starts with 15 Dex and 3.5 stealth. That's 90+ stealth from turn 1. Orc priest is HD 3, so it has 29 perc. You can reliably get 1 turn of not being noticed. Push stealth up to 5.0 (with your +5 apt) and you're at "quite stealthy" (120+) giving you an expected 4 actions before the intelligent target wakes up.

Granted, I'm not saying you should never use meph (e.g. a Centaur) but you certainly do not need to be trigger-happy with it. When you turn around a corner, you can immediately tell if you're going to need to meph or not ("did they spot me?") and provided you've never meph'd in the vicinity, you most likely won't need to.

Halls Hopper

Post Tuesday, 25th December 2012, 03:44

Damn, that is pretty cool. Hmm, perhaps there are other ways to play without meph? Any other low level AOE (area of effect) attacks that are useful?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 25th December 2012, 03:58

Link wrote:Damn, that is pretty cool. Hmm, perhaps there are other ways to play without meph? Any other low level AOE (area of effect) attacks that are useful?

Why don't you just try playing without meph and figure things out? Keep as few enemies in LOS of you at a time as possible (you want to do this regardless).

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 25th December 2012, 09:37

Inner Flame is kind of useful (deals tons of damage) but so risky I'd never actually use it early on. If you do use it, and that's probably not going to happen if you're not playing a fast race, watch out for monster size, because that increases explosion radius. If you want to play around with it, Fe/Ce/SpFE are probably the best characters for using the spell.
Corpse Rot isn't in a starting book, but smart use of the spell with Kiku (you will often get it at 1* piety) is very effective. It basically creates curare clouds. Corpse dropping (Kiku's 1* power) is very helpful here, as is being undead for the rRot that provides. Large characters can throw corpses and then explode them at monsters far away.
I'm not sure if Fireball qualifies as "low level" but as a deep elf you can cast it on like D:5 so whatever.
Static Discharge damages everything around you and is quite effective. I'd get it on pretty much any AE who actually wants to cast AE spells.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Monday, 31st December 2012, 08:41

Link wrote:Damn, that is pretty cool. Hmm, perhaps there are other ways to play without meph? Any other low level AOE (area of effect) attacks that are useful?

Go Fire Elementalist. Definitely. :) From what I've seen of your posts it definitely suits your style.

The spells Fireball and Bolt of Fire with both a Ring and a Staff of Fire are a gale-force blitz of primordial fury-- to say nothing of the raw sicknastiness that is Firestorm. ;) Feel like killing Gloorx Vlog, one of the most deadly enemies in the entire game, in three swift, righteous casts? I sure do. It was frickin' fun last time I did that. :D
--Schwa, your local muse forever and long-time High Elf fangirl ^_~
(also the master of Quadri-Birds)

TheProvocateur: I like how we're sprinting at a pile of greater mummies

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 13th March 2013, 23:40

SchwaWarrior wrote:

Go Fire Elementalist. Definitely. :) From what I've seen of your posts it definitely suits your style.

The spells Fireball and Bolt of Fire with both a Ring and a Staff of Fire are a gale-force blitz of primordial fury-- to say nothing of the raw sicknastiness that is Firestorm. ;) Feel like killing Gloorx Vlog, one of the most deadly enemies in the entire game, in three swift, righteous casts? I sure do. It was frickin' fun last time I did that. :D

Hmm, I did it is pretty awesome, I found that I like the Earth Elementalists as well.. Iron shot ans statue form are pretty cool.
Previous

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice