MR = almost entirely resistant means clarity useless?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Swamp Slogger

Post Tuesday, 6th November 2012, 04:38

MR = almost entirely resistant means clarity useless?

I have a char in the unique situation of having found many artefacts that have MR on them, enough to get it to "almost entirely resistant". Does that mean that clarity does nothing for him or are there baddies that can do things that clarity will block but MR won`t?

I seem to remember wucad mu confuse only being stoppable by clarity and not MR but I can't think of anything else (and I don`t have it anyway). Maybe confuse hell effect bypasses MR but not clarity?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 6th November 2012, 06:12

Re: MR = almost entirely resistant means clarity useless?

Well, some miscasts can be resisted with clarity IIRC, and berserkeritis (from the berserk 1-3 mutation) only triggers if you don't have clarity. Hell effects that confuse you definitely don't check MR, either, and should be resistable with clarity. Mara's Mislead is prevented by clarity but not MR. Finally, I'm pretty sure that casting Borgnjor's Revivication while under Death's Door (which paralyses and confuses you if I remember correctly) doesn't check clarity, either. As you can see, this is all pretty niche usage of the amulet, and most sources of confusion/mesmerisation check MR.

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 6th November 2012, 07:14

Clarity is also nice if you are using a *rage weapon (sword of jihad...).

And, it is extremely nice to have if you are using a crystal ball or wucad mu for an MP source. Pretty much all dedicated casters will want some way to regain MP, and these two sources can be very nice (particularly the latter)... but they can also confuse you.

Like most amulets, clarity is very situational, far from useless.

Swamp Slogger

Post Tuesday, 6th November 2012, 07:40

Thanks for the info, I didn't know these. In my case I'll probably keep it for hell.

Hey now that i think of it, there`s a unique axe of trog that made some other char i had go berserk very very often, most fights really, but it didnt have the *rage tag, just had a thing about it in its description. Would clarity have worked on that special case? I really wanted to use that axe but since it didnt seem to protect from the after rage paralysis I had to let it go, it was waaayyyyy too dangerous. Or would stasis have protected from that type of paralysis?

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Tuesday, 6th November 2012, 07:49

That axe doesn't have *rage because it's proc chance is so much higher than a regular *rage weapon. It's like every other *rage randart weapon is a cheap imitiation of the original Berserker weapon.

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 6th November 2012, 10:31

Clarity works on the Wrath of Trog, yeah (which actually caused berserking less often than many randart *Rage weapons until recently - in 0.12 it really is the only weapon that causes berserking on 50% of attacks, and it does get an autoinscription too).

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 6th November 2012, 12:19

Totally OT, I had Wrath of Trog gifted to me by Okawaru. How ironic! :)
My wins so far - FeBe, KoBe, DsCo, MDFi, DsBe

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 6th November 2012, 20:00

I believe Trog is specifically coded to never gift Trog's Wrath, oddly enough. It's his wrath after all, why give it to you?
You fall off the wall. You have a feeling of ineptitude.

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 6th November 2012, 20:39

By that same token, why would another god give it to you?

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 6th November 2012, 20:49

Stormfox wrote:I believe Trog is specifically coded to never gift Trog's Wrath, oddly enough. It's his wrath after all, why give it to you?

Actually it's because he lost it, apparently:
  Code:
Wrath of Trog

This was the favourite weapon of the old god Trog, before it was lost one day.
It induces a bloodthirsty berserker rage in anyone who uses it to strike
another.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice