Ammo management in .11

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 30th October 2012, 05:49

Ammo management in .11

So now that all ammo is effectively +3, how can you conserve ammo to play a ranged character all game long? Should you avoid using flaming/freezing ammo because (I believe) that still has double the mulch rate?

Are you likely to find enough ammo to go pure ranged once you clear several centaur/yak packs for arrows/bolts? Any general tips? I started one planning on dying early but somehow have actually lived. I have polearms as a backup melee skill, but would rather go as much ranged as possible, I'm just not sure how long +3 ammo will last. Planning a 3 rune game.

I'm using bows, specifically - does heavy armor slow down bow combat? Raise dex, str, or some of both? Not planning on casting.

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 30th October 2012, 06:08

Re: Ammo management in .11

The HEHu I played a while ago was slightly low - as in, down to 60 arrows or so - after Lair, but had something like 2,500 arrows lying around in piles by the end of 15 runes of arrow spamming. Bolts are probably more of a pain, but as soon as you get deep enough to see centaur/yaktaur packs ammo is effectively infinite.

It is, however, still heavy, and I did occasionally run out due to only being able to carry two hundred or so.

Heavy armor doesn't slow ranged combat at all. Shields halve your firing rate though.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 30th October 2012, 06:13

Launcher brands don't increase mulch rates, only arrows themselves do. Yay for consistency! And using the arrows is better than letting them lie around any day - they are great against vulnerable enemies. They're useless after one use, if they mulch - they're never useful if you never use them :)
CommanderC told us that STR is better for ranged, and carrying arrows is cool in addition to the damage boost it gives.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 30th October 2012, 14:38

Flaming/freezing ammo also does the most damage against anything neutral to it, so you should probably use your flame/freeze ammo.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 30th October 2012, 16:00

Alright so just to sum up mostly for myself: use a flaming/frost bow, normal ammo - does more damage, doesn't mulch more. Still use flaming/frost ammo at some point because even 1 shot is better than 0. Holy wrath is presumably still best (about even with speed) for extended, but I personally won't run that this game.

One thing I don't know: Flaming/Frost branded bows are generally better than velocity? I thought velocity was +30% on ranged, and elemental ones 25% on non-vuln/resistant mobs?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 30th October 2012, 16:04

Velocity bows are better because frost/flame arrows fired from a velocity bow get both bonuses.

For this message the author crate has received thanks:
pikkle

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice