No Stalker in Trunk?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Swamp Slogger

Post Thursday, 18th October 2012, 23:40

No Stalker in Trunk?

I'm on a slightly older trunk version, but mine has no stalkers. My first win character was a stalker. D:
"Crawl is cruel. But we keep coming back to it like an abusive boyfriend. It keeps telling us how it will be different this time by giving us early robes of the archmagi and staves of fire. Then it backhands you with a Centaur on D4." ~Me

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 18th October 2012, 23:49

Re: No Stalker in Trunk?

Evaporate was cut for being irredeemably overpowered, and Fullsome Distillation was cut because it has virtually no use without Evaporate. Without Fullsome Distillation and Evaporate, there was nothing left to distinguish the stalker from other backgrounds.

The name might eventually be re-used for a background when somebody comes up with something thematic and useful, but until that happens there's no use it keeping around a background that has lost its signature ability.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Friday, 19th October 2012, 09:26

I am going to miss water potion evaporating, but I do agree distil->evaporate was OP and couldn't remain in its current form.

Swamp Slogger

Post Saturday, 20th October 2012, 03:58

I guess that means negative potions are just 100% useless now? Well except for things for you to ID in a bad situation.

I'd like some way to make them useful at least. Some of the negatives scrolls have uses at least. I've been known to use Scrolls of Torment and Scrolls of Immolation as offensive tools and Ash loves the Curse scrolls...
"Crawl is cruel. But we keep coming back to it like an abusive boyfriend. It keeps telling us how it will be different this time by giving us early robes of the archmagi and staves of fire. Then it backhands you with a Centaur on D4." ~Me

Eringya's Employee

Post Saturday, 20th October 2012, 05:43

You'd think that Stalkers would be more about passwall stabbing, judging from their name. Throwing (al)chemical bombs around doesn't seem very thematic to me.
MuCK;
  Code:
612 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Slain by a gnoll

Lair Larrikin

Post Saturday, 20th October 2012, 16:03

KoboldLord wrote:Evaporate was cut for being irredeemably overpowered, and Fullsome Distillation was cut because it has virtually no use without Evaporate.

Pretty much every build I make which has any spellcasting ability finds one spare spell level for Fulsome Distillation, but not always two for Evaporate. I use FD to stockpile potions of mutation in the mid-game so I can play mutation roulette after I inevitably get a crap mutation set from Neqs, Orbs of Fire, and any of the other mutaters. Maybe the developers see this as degenerate play that they want to discourage, but boy did I have a lot of fun quaffing 40 potions trying to cleanse the teleportitis, blurry vision 2, low hp, and deteriorating body that I had all on a single build, without any Curemut to do it the boring way. If I wanted to be pure, I'd worship Zin :lol: !

I'm getting better about jewelry swapping to rMut, lately, but sometimes I just don't have any rMut available, and sometimes rMut doesn't work as well as I'd like ;) .

I can totally understand why mutation roulette isn't (on it's own, anyway) sufficient reason to keep FD in the game, so really I'm just saying that I hopie someone can come up with a non-overpowered way to make negative potions useful, so FD can come back.

For this message the author ZionRavescene has received thanks:
MyOtheHedgeFox

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 21st October 2012, 02:35

ZionRavescene wrote:I can totally understand why mutation roulette isn't (on it's own, anyway) sufficient reason to keep FD in the game, so really I'm just saying that I hopie someone can come up with a non-overpowered way to make negative potions useful, so FD can come back.

FD was also removed because it identifies a number of harmful potions (confusion, poison, degeneration, mutation) for basically free.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 21st October 2012, 03:58

Distilling mutation potions was nerfed at least once before distillation got removed anyway, so I think removing mutation roulette via distillation is seen as another good thing about the removal.

Eringya's Employee

Post Sunday, 21st October 2012, 06:07

Yeah, mutation inducing monsters had their chance of leaving corpses lowered, anyway. (I think that's what crate is referring to)
MuCK;
  Code:
612 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Slain by a gnoll

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice