Golubria

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 6th April 2011, 15:23

Golubria

Has anyone figured out how to use Passage of Golubria?

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 6th April 2011, 15:36

Re: Golubria

Do you just mean "how to use it" or "how to use effectively"?
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 6th April 2011, 15:37

I meant effectively.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 6th April 2011, 15:46

Well, then not really. I haven't played with it much, but from what I've heard, it's mostly considered useless.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

For this message the author galehar has received thanks:
rebthor

Swamp Slogger

Post Wednesday, 6th April 2011, 15:54

Can use it to kite melee mobs if you don't have swiftness I suppose, also couldn't you use it in Pan to teleport lords away from their runes.

Mines Malingerer

Post Wednesday, 6th April 2011, 16:33

I've used it to clear out dangerous vaults with spellcasters if I don't have cTele. For instance, in the secret room ending of Lair, you can put a passage right by the exit, then another right by the door, open it, and pop to safety to cast some nice clouds.

For this message the author ieattime20 has received thanks:
pratamawirya

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 8th April 2011, 05:05

Sounds situational. Still, it's a cool idea.

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 8th April 2011, 06:06

I think I'd use it if it didn't time out, or if you could place the portal anywhere on the map, or could be used more than once, even if it had to be a higher level spell. I've had two characters memorize it but neither ended using it. It's a spell that you set up just in case you're going to need a quick escape. So here's how my thinking goes:

"Perhaps I should set up a passage before each tough fight. However, 95% of the time I won't need it, I'll end up being able to handle the fight. Do I really want to start setting this thing up before each potentially tough fight knowing that most of the time it will be wasted effort and MP? Also, if the fight is drawn out, as tough ones will be, chances are it might time out before I need it anyway. In those exceptional cases where it turns out I could really use it, I could probably just blink and teleport instead, or use some other panic button."

I love the basic concept of the spell, it's just too handicapped to be worth relying on.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Sunday, 24th April 2011, 11:11

I've only learned it with Chei worshippers. It's quite useful for them. Easier to get then controlled blink, and does not cause glowing. I used it to approach ranged enemies fast and also to escape quickly.

I like the spell, but I feel that devs, fearing that an other kind of controlled teleport could be to strong, made it a little weak. The portal could last longer, to be a more useful escape option, and placement may be a little more precise.

For this message the author sanka has received thanks:
dolphin

Lair Larrikin

Post Monday, 15th October 2012, 20:15

I think those are good ideas. Have the devs given this any attention since?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 15th October 2012, 20:39

(The original comments in this thread are from before Passage of Golubria's changes to produce two portals at once and to let you use it more often ... but it's still not a very popular spell even after the changes.)

I think if Control Teleport was removed from the warper book or if ctele + blink was uncontrolled instead of semicontrolled then warpers would use Passage. The main reason I don't use it as wr is because semicontrolled blink is just better for transporting yourself around and conveniently becomes available at pretty much the same time.

It's not bad, it's just overshadowed by something else in the same book with a similar purpose that's better.

Passage is good for getting the fiery rune at xl11 though or so I hear.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Tuesday, 16th October 2012, 10:02

Let PofG work between levels. How would it work ?
duvessa wrote:Christ, you can't remove anything without tavern complaining about it.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 16th October 2012, 12:16

badly (There used to be a L7(!) spell which did exactly that, called Portal, and it got removed.)

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 16th October 2012, 14:19

Too overpowered?

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Friday, 19th October 2012, 09:58

The unique feature of Passage of Golubria is that it works on monsters too - in essence it's a controlled blink of a monster if used that way. Problem is, if you cast it in a corridor you don't know if you'll be on the wrong side of the near-portal.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice