Unequipping Distortion Weapon

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Temple Termagant

Post Monday, 29th October 2012, 11:45

Unequipping Distortion Weapon

Good day to all of you.

I've been playing around with webtiles for a bit, my MiBe is doing okay so far, I just started doing Lair, but I ran into a "problem".

I've first been lucky enough to find a nice hand axe with fire and *tele, though I could keep that in control with an amulet of stasis I took off whenever I needed to berserk.
Trog gave me an anti-magic executioners axe I wasn't quite good enough for at that point. A while later, while fighting a swarm of killer bees, he gave me a venom war axe, which sure came in handy.
After I fought off a pack of yaks, he gave me another weapon. Thinking nothing of it, I put it on, and now I'm stuck with a weapon of distortion.

I would say I'm not doing particularly bad, but I doubt I would manage to get out of the abyss, especially since I've never been there before. My axes skill is at 20 now and I would really like to upgrade to my executioners axe, what would my chances of survival be if I do get banished?

Fighting ~8
Armor 10
Axes 20

I'm currently wearing plate armor, a pair of gloves with dex and a ring of sustenance and an artefact ring with more dex and int, an amulet of resist corrosion and one of stasis, and I have a couple of wands of disintegration and confusion, no digging though. The other slots are filled as well, though it isn't stuff worth mentioning.

Thanks in advance!

Pandemonium Purger

Post Monday, 29th October 2012, 11:52

Re: Unequipping Distortion Weapon

What's the distortion weapon in question?
take it easy
  Code:
!lg * won !DD-- min=turns -log
<Sequell> 20749. Bloax, XL24 VSTm, T:13320: http://crawl.lantea.net/crawl/morgue/Bloax/morgue-Bloax-20140907-000920.txt

Did you know that I like ruining crawl every now and then? Go check it out.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 29th October 2012, 12:39

Good luck :P

What is your level? Do you have a mean on levitating (if your not in trunk)? Do you have enough perma food?

For this message the author varsovie has received thanks:
estrael

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Monday, 29th October 2012, 13:19

Provided you play it safe (don't get surrounded, don't be afraid to run away even from fights you probably could win, don't get tempted by loot), your chance of survival shouldn't be bad. Levitation is very much recommended though. Remember, if you do get banished your objective is to find your way out, not to farm EXP (that's for later if you can't do it in Hell or Pan). Keep wandering around to find a way out and know that teleports are very slow to kick in.

Now then, while your chance to survive isn't bad, your genetic integrity is another matter. Do expect to get mutated while down there. Furthermore, expect to be hit by long-range sticky flame while down there: make sure you don't mind losing what scrolls you take.

Incidentally, you're not in too bad shape if that distortion axe is a battleaxe so long as you carry around some conjuration wands and javelins.

For this message the author Psieye has received thanks:
estrael

Temple Termagant

Post Monday, 29th October 2012, 16:55

Thank you all for the answers.

The distortion weapon I have equipped is a +1, +2 battleaxe. My current level is XL 12.

I do have a ring of levitation, and (in my opinion) plenty of permafood - 9 bread and 8 meat rations as well as 17 honeycombs and 3 royal jellies.

However, in the whole game so far, there hasn't been a single javelin, only a couple of darts and an occasional needle - no blowguns though.
I'm not entirely sure what you mean with conjuration wands - did you mean a rod of summoning or demonology? Concerning that, no luck either.

I'm not quite sure how to proceed in Lair though. There's at least one pack of death yaks on Lair:5 and four oklob plants guarding the three stairways down. I'm afraid of using an escape hatch in case I end up in the middle of a death yak or elephant infested room with no way out but back to the oklobs.

Barkeep

Post Monday, 29th October 2012, 17:11

I'd level Throwing to 8 (and maybe above) to get javelin gifts, which (will be plentiful), and use the axe to horribly warp some space.

You can't use rods or needles with your axe equipped, which does suck. Wands (fire, cold, disintegration, etc) are usable though.

You can become invisible (potion, ring, whatever) and drop a couple brothers on the oklobs. I'm not sure what happens to trees if you hit them with distortion weapons.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

For this message the author njvack has received thanks:
estrael

Temple Termagant

Post Monday, 29th October 2012, 17:22

Thank you for your quick answer.

I guess that means I'll have to abandon Lair for now, maybe to create some chaos on the first two levels of the Orcish Mines.
Unfortunately, so far, the only source of invisibility I've found is in a spell book, which isn't quite possible to learn, I'm afraid, even if Trog would allow it.

Couple of days ago, I would have laughed at anyone who said distortion weapons aren't all that fun. Guess I had it coming.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 29th October 2012, 20:34

Oh I miss my OgMo with a giant spiked club of distortion.

If you haven't found any javelin, any spears can be the poor's man javelin if you have enough inventory slots. For oklobs, throw them some books then pray. ;)

For this message the author varsovie has received thanks:
pikkle

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice