Felid crusader god?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 20th December 2010, 21:01

Felid crusader god?

Subject pretty much says it all. I have been trying my hand at felids. I am basically playing them like berserkers with a few more options. I tried SIf, but found the need to dump experience into spellcasting skills too costly. What other then Jiyva is a good god choice for felids?

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 20th December 2010, 22:28

Re: Felid crusader god?

TSO and Nemelex.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Monday, 20th December 2010, 22:49

Why TSO? TSO prohibits use of the Regeneration spell (and other necromancy, but crusaders start with Regen), TSO piety is slow outside of extended endgame, most TSO benefits and abilities are only relevant in extended endgame.

As much as I find Okawaru dull, I'd say it'd be much better than TSO early on, especially for a crusader.

More ideas: Makhleb (healing on kills, summons you can haste) and Elyvilon (Regeneration prohibited but you get healing invocations, including one that can remove post-berserk slow)

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 21st December 2010, 00:55

MrMisterMonkey wrote:Why TSO? TSO prohibits use of the Regeneration spell (and other necromancy, but crusaders start with Regen), TSO piety is slow outside of extended endgame, most TSO benefits and abilities are only relevant in extended endgame.

As much as I find Okawaru dull, I'd say it'd be much better than TSO early on, especially for a crusader.

More ideas: Makhleb (healing on kills, summons you can haste) and Elyvilon (Regeneration prohibited but you get healing invocations, including one that can remove post-berserk slow)

I used TSO for the life protection and divine shield. I had no need for healing, since my character was basically a tank. Okawaru is mostly useless for a FeCr. They don't get gifts and they already have haste in their starting book.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Tuesday, 21st December 2010, 04:26

Oka isn't for gifts or haste; Oka is for might.

Why would you need life protection, though, outside of extended endgame and shadow dragons (which aren't until later anyway)?

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 21st December 2010, 05:39

I ran into more liches and shadow dragons than usual during my game, so immunity to draining was nice. I see no reason to worship Okawaru if all you get is Might.

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 21st December 2010, 11:43

MrMisterMonkey wrote:Oka isn't for gifts or haste; Oka is for might.

Why would you need life protection, though, outside of extended endgame and shadow dragons (which aren't until later anyway)?

Oka is probably one of the worst possible god choices for a FeCr imo. Even TSO would be better just for rN+++ and abillities.

Nemelex is the most obvious one. Yred sounds doable, Kiku if you want more necro spells/torment resistance. Then you have Makhleb: good for everyone. Elyvilon sounds like fun, loss of regen will be insignificant as you will get his healing powers anyway.

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 21st December 2010, 13:00

I'm pretty sure you're underestimating the usefulness of might (and regeneration). And rN+++ isn't really necessary on EV characters, I never go out of my way to get it even for V:8. Good EV and rMsl does the trick just fine. Although personally I wouldn't recommend Oka either since he's so boring, so it's a moot point I suppose.

I'd choose Nemelex, or Ash for free XP and reskilling (it's easy to get bound slots on a Felid). My FeWn (which was essentially a monk/crusader) went Nemelex then Jiyva for fun, and that worked very nicely.

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 21st December 2010, 18:30

I know very well that Might is great with fast attacks, but Okawaru is just a glorified vending machine. I can't imagine sticking with him for an entire game. Anyway, a FeCr has Berserker Rage, so Elyvilon's Purification (and other abilities) are probably more useful than Okawaru. My FeBe was a berserker/transmuter, so wIth 30 AC, 35 EV, 15 SH, and 50+ unarmed damage my felid didn't need regen.

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 21st December 2010, 18:39

MarvintheParanoidAndroid wrote:I'm pretty sure you're underestimating the usefulness of might (and regeneration). And rN+++ isn't really necessary on EV characters, I never go out of my way to get it even for V:8. Good EV and rMsl does the trick just fine. Although personally I wouldn't recommend Oka either since he's so boring, so it's a moot point I suppose.

I'd choose Nemelex, or Ash for free XP and reskilling (it's easy to get bound slots on a Felid). My FeWn (which was essentially a monk/crusader) went Nemelex then Jiyva for fun, and that worked very nicely.

Might is great, but its pretty much the only thing oka offers to a fecr which makes him rather pointless comparing to gods with more general usefulness.

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 21st December 2010, 18:40

lucy_ferre wrote:I know very well that Might is great with fast attacks, but Okawaru is just a glorified vending machine. I can't imagine sticking with him for an entire game. Anyway, a FeCr has Berserker Rage, so Elyvilon's Purification (and other abilities) are probably more useful than Okawaru. My FeBe was a berserker/transmuter, so wIth 30 AC, 35 EV, 15 SH, and 50+ unarmed damage my felid didn't need regen.

How in the name of holy did you get 30 AC and 15 SH on a felid, considering Felids can't use shields or armour?

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 21st December 2010, 18:41

Condensation shield is good enough, but 30 AC?

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 21st December 2010, 20:21

Sealer wrote:Condensation shield is good enough, but 30 AC?

Statue form and stoneskin.

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 21st December 2010, 23:16

MarvintheParanoidAndroid wrote:I'd choose Nemelex, or Ash for free XP and reskilling (it's easy to get bound slots on a Felid)

Maybe I'm misunderstanding how Ashenzari works (haven't tried yet), but aren't you limited to a third of the slots on a Felid (i.e. only 2x piety and max 15% exp bonus)? Besides, with only 3 slots to juggle for all resistances/intrinsics/etc I'd imagine you'll need a lot of jewlery swapping, especially in the late game (it certainly was the case in my few felid games, even tough I didn't make it to the late game)

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 22nd December 2010, 02:16

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but is this race coming up in 0.8?
It hasn't been officially released, correct?
Mangled by Mennas

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 22nd December 2010, 12:16

Felids are currently in trunk (the upcoming 0.8)
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 22nd December 2010, 17:22

asdu wrote:
MarvintheParanoidAndroid wrote:I'd choose Nemelex, or Ash for free XP and reskilling (it's easy to get bound slots on a Felid)

Maybe I'm misunderstanding how Ashenzari works (haven't tried yet), but aren't you limited to a third of the slots on a Felid (i.e. only 2x piety and max 15% exp bonus)? Besides, with only 3 slots to juggle for all resistances/intrinsics/etc I'd imagine you'll need a lot of jewlery swapping, especially in the late game (it certainly was the case in my few felid games, even tough I didn't make it to the late game)

Felids are special-cased, they get one level of boundedness (each level is +12.5% XP and 2/4/6x piety gain) for each cursed piece of jewellery, so full boundedness with two cursed rings and a cursed amulet. My Felids of Ash went through most of the game with one cursed ring and a cursed amulet, you actually don't need to swap them that often (although I played FE and Su, maybe a melee character would want resistances a bit more). As a Felid you'll have a huge amount of spare remove curse scrolls anyway for the occasions you do need to swap, and praying over remove curse scrolls only generates curse jewellery so you won't run out of those either.

For this message the author Kate has received thanks:
asdu

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice