What is this place?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 18th September 2012, 03:45

What is this place?

Saw a wizlab portal in the Vault, headed right in. And I came across this strange place. There is a bunch of teleport portals, and at the center there was a silver statue surrounded by iron cage (which I zapped it with wand of disintegration). I got two artefact capes.

Searched crawlwiki for a list of wizlabs, and I don't think it fits into any featured there. Anyone know if there's a name for this place?
Attachments
wizlab.jpg
wizlab.jpg (335.28 KiB) Viewed 2105 times

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 18th September 2012, 04:58

Re: What is this place?

Wow it's as much of an eyesore in tiles as in console.

You can check the name in-game with ?: to view your log; it will tell you the name of the wizlab you entered. (It's the Golubria wizlab, I forget the full name. It is likely not on the wiki because it is pretty new.)

edit: Well maybe not, I guess it is just the IRC bots that tell you that information.
Last edited by crate on Tuesday, 18th September 2012, 05:05, edited 1 time in total.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 18th September 2012, 05:03

It just says 59944 Entered a wizard's laboratory.

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 18th September 2012, 08:09

In 0.10.3 there's no such wizlab in the definitions...
My wins so far - FeBe, KoBe, DsCo, MDFi, DsBe

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 18th September 2012, 08:15

Have been playing trunk (ver 0.11). I guess it's one of the newly added features then.

Swamp Slogger

Post Tuesday, 18th September 2012, 09:23

The learndb calls it "The Roulette of Golubria". I call it, "slightly less sucky than Cigotuvi's Fleshworks". It's a well designed area, but damned if I find jumping through and excluding portals "unfun".
"You draw a card... It is the Bones."

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 20th September 2012, 18:30

Nobody reported on Mantis that since "portal branches" happened wizlabs stopped reporting names in the notes, eurgh.

Currently working on a patch for my vaults for 0.12 (0.11 is in pre-release beta and thus not really trunk): wizlab_golubria will at minimum lose the lava, shallow water, and metal, move random glass placement from the random walls portion to the outside rim to show off the permarock tile, and adjust the colours per feature for console. It doesn't need to try to replicate oldabyss in an area mostly for decoration, and said features don't add much.
(Also, the new crystal wall tiles work well with coloured stone.)
Also, yes, I agree the teleporters are too confusing in their unreliablity given their number, and once I can decipher my own mess of code again I'll make the focus of the teleporters be the already-in randomized rotation rules instead of the random placement of teleporters making full exploration require notes or remembering teleporter-by-teleporter rules. (Not like full exploration is the greatest of ideas anyway, considering the nastiness inherent in some of the monster set.)

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice