Vampire Enchanter

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Lair Larrikin

Post Wednesday, 12th September 2012, 16:24

Vampire Enchanter

I know vampires aren't the easiest to get off the ground, but I'd appreciate some general advice for this combo. I've been playing it for a while, and have tried to kinda follow hyperbolics SpEn knowledge bot entry, while training hexes/ ice magic a little more in the start(for ensorcelled), because vampires don't have spriggan hunger issues, and they do have bat form which makes playing like a spriggan (run run run) a viable tactic.

I also have some questions:

1. They start with some throwing skill which rarely helps, so should i train it up past .7 or whatever it starts at?
2. I usually try to take Ash or Kiku, just out of personal preference (they're the coolest). Is there any god that's especially great for this?
3.I rarely get far enough to branch out into other schools of magic, but when I have the option, is it better to go for utility spells and train my short blades/stabbing more or offensive spells? I often start working on the first reasonable book i find (something of ice magic, or tloc)

I think this is my favorite combo in the game, both to play and theme/story-wise.

Swamp Slogger

Post Wednesday, 12th September 2012, 17:48

Re: Vampire Enchanter

You probably won't use throwing much if at all, though the darts are useful for surviving until you're level 2.

There are many compatible gods for enchanters, but bear in mind that they dictate your playing style much more as an enchant than with other classes. If you can't kill whatever you're fighting, god will dictate your backup plan.

Once again, your god will dictate your style. In my VpEn win, I went with Okawaru and was a longsword crusader when stabbing didn't work. In the case of ashenzari or kiku, you'll be more evasive and probably dig around walls to assassinate people with ash or use necromancy and a pain brand with kiku. In your case, spell training is viable but the lack of strong conjurations severely limits offensive spellcasting as a backup plan, Tukima's Dance from the book of enchantments would be superb, as would learning how to summon. Combat is possible, but short blades aren't amazing at it.

General Advice:
Learn to run before you have invisibility, and carry a large enough mana pool for multiple tries of hibernation/confuse.
Have a good backup plan, or get used to running away when you can't stab.
"You draw a card... It is the Bones."

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 12th September 2012, 18:45

For vpen I would recommend Kiku because Kiku is convenient for vampires anyway.

Mines Malingerer

Post Thursday, 13th September 2012, 03:14

I like Makhleb for this combo, destruction does pretty well for ranged damage (though I think major destruction has become more dangerous since I last played Makhleb), and the demon summoning can be a strong panic button (or make things more dangerous, but hey, that's Makhleb). Plus you have a way to regenerate when in bloodless state.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice