Spriggan Wizard skill strategy

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 29th August 2012, 20:05

Spriggan Wizard skill strategy

After trying a number of Spriggan blaster builds out over the last while, I think I'm liking Wizards. They start with the most Int and also all L3 or lower spells, both of which are good for food-sensitive Spriggans.

Although this background is weakest in terms of blasting spells among other alternatives (FE, Co, VM) as a blaster you are going with Vehumet who a) gives you the book of Conjurations and b) gives you books that are not that great with FE and c) even if you want to go for Poison Arrow, there's no need to develop poison magic at the start.

Long term strategy is dictated by the spells Vehumet dishes out. In the first book, you get primarily ice/air conjurations, so that's what we'll head for.

So here's what I'm going for in terms of skill training:

- First train just conjurations. Magic Dart will be your main damage spell for a while and it starts out hungerless so the priority is to raise your damage output.
- At L2 memorize all the L2 spells, they're all good and you need them all to compensate for your MD being your only attack conjuration. Make sure to turn off all the new magic skills.
- Once MD is at ####. power, briefly train Spellcasting alone to get your L2 spells hungerless and until you have enough spell slots to memorize the two L3 spells.
- Once L2 spells are hungerless, leave spellcasting on and turn conjurations back on. Now we want all our spells to be hunger-free and we also want the L3 spells to gain some power and reliability.
- For stat increases, put at least two or three into Str for carrying capacity.
- Dive for the temple to get Vehumet piety as soon as possible.
- Don't branch out into any other magic skills until you get another book.

Does that make sense? Am I too obsessed with spell hunger?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 29th August 2012, 20:19

Re: Spriggan Wizard skill strategy

Getting level 2 spells hungerless on a SpWz takes just one level of spellcasting. (You start at 4, and at 5 you've got lvl 2 hungerless.) That's not a bad idea since spamming Call Imp can carry you very far in the early game.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 29th August 2012, 20:37

Getting Mephitic Cloud and/or Conjure Flame is probably more important than Repel Missiles or Slow -- I'd recommend you hold off on those two until getting at least one if not both of Mephitic Cloud / Conjure Flame. They'll get you out of way more trouble, and you should be able to still get Repel Missiles before centaurs start showing up.

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 30th August 2012, 06:33

I'd skip even one strength increase, let alone two. And Slow isn't very useful for most chars (lots of players skip it entirely) and even less so for a speedy spriggan. For a Spriggan some stabbing might make sense, since it's so cheap and you still need some way to kill stuff even after mephing it. Branded daggers are fairly common in early dungeon and lucking into a poison or elec dagger makes early game a breeze.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 30th August 2012, 14:05

I usually found that improving spell schools, especialy conjurations is better, at least if you have found some food early on. Less miscast+better power means much less casting, so much less food . I usualy only focus on spellcasting if I do not find any food on the first two/three level or when I already have good success rate with mephitic cloud and conjure flame (~90%) and max power with magic dart.

Training spellcasting along with the schools is not bad, because spriggans has good aptitudes and it helps all spells a little tough, and also gives some more mana.

If I find some food early:
1. Conjurations till level 2
2. Summoning till call imps failure rate <10%
3. conjurations till magic dart has a good power (~conjurations level 3). I use imps a lot here.
4. then I usualy switch on fire magic, till conjure flame has good failure rate <10%
5. then I switch off fire magic and turn on air and poison till mephitic cloud has failure rate < 10%
6. spellcasting to 10
7. dodging/fighting

If I feel I need some mana or I only has one bread left, I usualy switch to spellcasting for a while between these steps. If I have 4-5 breads or a lot of fruit then sometimes I do not train spellcasting at all early on.

I usualy put early stat points into str, till str is 8. This is not necessary, you can put all of them into int, but I like to be able to carry some stuff.

Later in the game I had never had any food problems. I usualy learned freezing cloud + OOD from vehumet's gift.

With the new summon rules imps may become much weaker tough (they tend to blink out of LOS). If this is the case, I would skip the summoning part.

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 7th September 2012, 11:50

Don't bother with slow if youre a spriggan, everyone is already slow to you.

I usually dont bother because there's a very good change of finding swiftness or haste anyway. Would you rather slow one monster, maybe (slow) or slow all monsters for sure (swiftness)
(p.s. this is stupid some dev please make it not stupid) - minmay

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 7th September 2012, 12:47

Slow isn't inverse swiftness, it's inverse haste! Certainly the MR check and being Hexes stops it from always being awesome but it's a fine L2 spell.
Won all race/bg, unwon (online): Nem* Hep Uka
Favourites: 15-rune Trog, OgNe/OgIE/OgSu (usually Ash), Ds, Ru, SpEn, Ce of Chei, Qaz

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 7th September 2012, 16:55

Slow is a good spell for meleeing things. It is not particularly useful if you are using magic dart to kill things imo (I feel the same way about mephitic cloud ... this is why I feel wz is a good hybrid start).

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice