About characters dumps

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 18th August 2012, 09:32

About characters dumps

I'm reading the last dump of my current main character, a DsBe^Trog who is doing pretty well by the time. In the 'notes' section at the bottom of the file, I noticed that some events are logged in this section while similar events are not :

About monsters and fights :
16623 | D:10 | Killed a centaur skeleton
20298 | D:12 | Noticed a giant slug
20309 | D:12 | Killed a giant slug
20342 | D:12 | Noticed an agate snail
20365 | D:12 | Killed an agate snail
20407 | D:12 | Paralysed by a giant eyeball for 2 turns
20410 | D:12 | Paralysed by a giant eyeball for 2 turns

I guess the first time I encounter some special monsters like centaur skeletons, fire giants, slugs, the event is registered in the dump. But I don't understand what criteria is used here to select monsters to be logged and others. After all, slugs are not so uncommon. Giant eyeballs are not the only monsters who can paralyse you. In Lair:8, I met several catoblepas and dragons and those monsters do look dangerous to me, as well as catoblepas can petrify me, but they are not logged. So : why the slugs and not the dragon ? Why the eyeball and not the catoblepas ?

About artifacts :
22452 | D:12 | Identified the dagger of Plasaach {venom, Hunger +Lev rN+ SInv} (You found it on level 12 of the Dungeon)
22453 | D:12 | Identified the broad axe of Ijij {flame, rPois} (You found it on level 12 of the Dungeon)
35265 | Lair:8 | Identified the +3 buckler of Courage (You found it on level 8 of the Lair of Beasts)

The dagger and the broad axe are fully described in the log with their bonuses listed between brackets. No such details for the buckler {rC+ Dex+3 Int+4 Acc+4}. Why ?

Just curious, as this has no consequence on the game of course.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 18th August 2012, 19:01

Re: About characters dumps

The monsters noted in the log fall into two categories. The first category is 'Out of Depth', which are monsters that are much harder than normal. The second category is just 'Rare', which may be common in some other branch but are hardly ever seen in the current one. Your slugs and snails were probably generated from the Lair entry vault, and by noting them as Rare Monster Sightings the log can point you in the right direction if you're still looking for Lair. Somehow. Honestly, this isn't useful very often.

All sources of paralysis and banishment that tag you should be noted in the log, too, no matter how otherwise trivial the source of them might be, because paralysis and banishment are particularly nasty effects that can result in your death in one failed MR roll if combined with some other bad situation. If you get hit by paralysis and it does not end up in the log, it's a bug and you should report it. Note that the eyeballs themselves did not get into the log, only the paralysis.

For this message the author KoboldLord has received thanks:
Herode2

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 18th August 2012, 20:04

OK, thanks for the information.

In Lair:8, a catoblepas petrified me once (at least...). He perished anyway thanks to the 'demonic guardian 3' mutation (I've been amazed how poweful this mutation is, and my character gained it around D:8 or so ; Balrugs and Executionners just turn everything they meet into small roasted/bloody pieces of meat...). Is petrification expected to be logged (in which case I'll head to the bug report section) or is it treated differently than paralysis/banishment ?

And do you thing the buckler's incomplete description could be a bug ?

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 18th August 2012, 20:28

Herode2 wrote:And do you thing the buckler's incomplete description could be a bug ?

No. The logs are know to be inconstant with artefact notes. It's been suggested that be changed, though.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice