These accursed ghosts...

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 17th August 2012, 12:26

These accursed ghosts...

Ok, I need another advice. My old char's ghosts keep slaying my new ones. I die at least half of times by the hands of my own ghosts. They are ridiculously quick and strong. I can't run from them and can't blink. And there is no way I can beat them in "fair" face-to-face combat. I'm afraid to go deeper because I know there are my best chars waiting for me to kill.
What's the best way to confront them (except deleting save/morgue files)?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 17th August 2012, 12:50

Re: These accursed ghosts...

Playing berserkers and berserking / using BiA against them.
Wizards and Fire Elementalists are excellent too. Conjure Flame is very good against ghosts in my experience.
Necromancers used to be good, but no longer, since they lost Dispel Undead.
There is a popular myth that early TSO worshippers are good against ghosts. This isn't really true though, since the ability that is good against ghosts in particular you only get at 5* piety, which is a time where ghosts should not be too much of a problem for you anymore.

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 17th August 2012, 12:52

Assuming these aren't like L27 evokers and such...

1) Run away. Unless all your ghosts are spriggans/centaurs/felids? Not sure why you can't blink...ghosts don't have any "anti-blink" qualities...
2) Create "ghostbuster" necromancer characters (less reliable now that the order spells in Necro books changed + Kiku spell randomization)
3) Play undead races for a while - you'll end up clearing out your accumulation of ghosts eventually, without leaving new ones.
4) Note that if you don't die on the level the ghost is on, the ghost will go away for future games.
5) Play a strong early game race (e.g. Troll Berserker) with the explicit goal of tracking down and taking out ghosts.

edit: Ninja'd by the cyborg from the future!

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 17th August 2012, 13:08

About running away. I don't know but it feels like they are two times faster than me. May be the weight of inventory matters... Although I don't remember being burdened. Anyway I can't run away in most times and they catching me after blink pretty quick.

Ghostbuster is a good idea. And I thought that my DEWz is one with his conjured Flames and swarm of imps. But somehow he I got cornered and killed too.

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 17th August 2012, 13:43

Being burdened slows you down a little. Also, ghosts keep the speed of the char who died, so spriggan and centaur ghosts will be fast. Most are speed 10, though.

Note that one important thing about ghostbuster chars is that the ghost they leave shouldn't be super powerful, in case you do lose after all. DEWz might not be the best choice for that. Imps, Blink and Mephcloud make for horrible ghosts. The easiest way to get rid of ghosts is probably to simply play a SpEn and dive as fast as you can, running from any ghosts you meet. You will die eventually, leaving an underpowered ghost, and all the ghosts that spawned will be gone because you didn't die on their level. Lame, but efficient. Using a char that can actually kill ghosts instead has the advantage of providing said char with massive amounts of extra exp, and not being super lame. But if you just want to get rid of the ghosts without actual cheating, diving might be the easiest way.

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 17th August 2012, 14:26

Also remember that ghosts can't use stairs at all, which means (assuming you have a bit of food to burn) that you can take as many tries as you want to kill them: just stand on the stairs and go up if you start getting injured. A conjurer ghost who rips you apart with lightning bolts one time will often stand there and die like a chump the next round, just due to the RNG. Just don't wait too long, since they'll get in a shot or two as you climb. Conjurer-type ghosts also tend to be glass cannons - they can hit ridiculously hard but you can kill them with darts and trash wands.

Berserkers are probably your best bet if you want to make a dude just for killing ghosts. You'd be hard pressed to build a pre-Lair ghost that you can't zerk down.

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 17th August 2012, 14:51

Help me to clear some things out.
1. Every time the dungeon have only one ghost or there can me many?
2. It's one (any) of my dead chars or the last one(s)?
3. After being killed or after I die on another level, the same ghosts will not appear again? Never?
4. Does ghost gains any new abilities or boost to old ones by being a ghost? What about resistances?
5. Does old equipment stats counts as they do for a living char?
6. Can he use every abilities that living char can? Even provided by equipment?

Also a funny thing. I thought that you can't use halberd with a shield but I am pretty sure that I've seen a ghost with halberd in one hand and a shield in another. It was a MiFi of the same 9 level and he destroyed me completely. Without any chances.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Friday, 17th August 2012, 15:18

take it easy
  Code:
!lg * won !DD-- min=turns -log
<Sequell> 20749. Bloax, XL24 VSTm, T:13320: http://crawl.lantea.net/crawl/morgue/Bloax/morgue-Bloax-20140907-000920.txt

Did you know that I like ruining crawl every now and then? Go check it out.

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 17th August 2012, 17:06

Yeah, I know. Wiki is the answer for almost any topic. But here you can get better hints.
Although this page will help me a lot. Thanks for link.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 17th August 2012, 17:19

LearnDB is even better.
What made you happy today?
Shatari wrote:I traded a goat for a Nintendo DS XL, and a ton of games.

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 18th August 2012, 09:43

minmay wrote:Keep in mind that page is wrong about several things (probably more than I noticed): they keep agony and petrify now, and no way are centaur ghosts only 12 speed.

I noticed several warnings about badwiki on the forums but I don't understand why no experienced players (I mean players who know what's wrong and why) correct the spotted errors ? Wiki is widely used after all, isn't it ?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 18th August 2012, 09:49

First of all, often we do correct errors when we find them.
Second, I made an effort to improve the wiki a few weeks ago. The result has been that there are three actually good character guides (FE; MuWz; SE/MfTm) on there.
However we won't invest too much time into it. The LearnDB is a reliable resource because you can't just edit it stealthily. On the wiki, anything we improve might be screwed up again mere hours after we write it. Therefore the LearnDB is a much better way to store data. We tell everyone who uses the wiki to use it, usually; and if people decide that they still want to use the wiki / don't know better, that isn't our problem.

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 18th August 2012, 12:20

Ogre Hunters are pretty decent at killing low level ghosts with their thrown rocks. I remember reading somewhere that ghosts don't use missile weapons,so no worries on that. If it does look like he is about to die at later levels, just drop your GSC or whatever weapon he has before you die.

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 18th August 2012, 13:29

My CeHu did a decent job killing strong MiFi by running circles and shooting. And overall it was pretty good run. For a change I was killed by some unique thing named Sonja and not my own ghost. Now I hope that he really can't use that crossbow and bolts of fire. Otherwise D11 going to be a tomb for my next char...

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 19th August 2012, 03:53

Last I checked, ghosts dont use launchers.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 19th August 2012, 04:08

Deimos wrote:Last I checked, ghosts dont use launchers.

In fact, they do. As make-shift clubs. This works about as well for them as it does for you.

Now ammo, they don't use that.

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 19th August 2012, 04:17

Woops, yea. They'll bash you with them, but its not all too dangerous.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 20th August 2012, 15:02

Anticlimax ghost: Melee character that died while wielding a bread ration against Mara.
You fall off the wall. You have a feeling of ineptitude.

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 20th August 2012, 18:24

It must be dwarven bread...

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 20th August 2012, 18:40

I like the bandolier of biscuits...

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 21st August 2012, 12:50

And it will still be just as inedible 1000 years in the future.
What made you happy today?
Shatari wrote:I traded a goat for a Nintendo DS XL, and a ton of games.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice