A penance from Beogh

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 3rd August 2012, 17:28

A penance from Beogh

Playing a HOPr, I reach D:8 with a small group of followers, During a battle against big kobolds, the priest and another follower die. After the battle, my HOPr come on the tile where 2 orcs corpses and a kobold corpse lie. My HOPr prays as usual but this time, instead of being satisfied by the sacrifice, Beogh places my character under penance. Have you guys any idea of what went wrong here ?

Also, what shall I fear under this penance ? How many time/turns do the penance usually lasts ?

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 3rd August 2012, 17:45

Re: A penance from Beogh

Well, I think I have an idea of what went wrong because some corridors later, I inadvertantly prayed over another kobold corpse and obviously, this seems to upset Beogh. Thus, I suppose the kobold corpse stacked with my two fellow orcs remains was the problem.

As for the duration, the penance disapeared less than a hundred turns later, just after I killed a quokka.

All right then. What doesn't kills me makes me hungrier (The Auld Orc's Pathes of Wisdoom, tome III).

Halls Hopper

Post Tuesday, 7th August 2012, 18:14

There's another penance of Beogh that I didn't consider in time : my XL15 HOPr enters the Orcish Mines with the idea of grabbing easy XP. But there's no way to fight, mind you : all the orcs knee a mile away when I'm approaching, and attack the fools who didn't knee in time. With all those sweet orcs running around me and yellin' "You are the One", "You're my only friend", "We love you", or even "Run ! I'll cover you" (from what shall thy cover me, my friend, I have 33 AC but... oh well...), I'm feeling like a depressive elephant trapped in a dancing school.

Where are my XPs now ?

I hate wimp orcs, fop priests and, more extensively, any kind of love. :cry:

Sewers Scotsman

Post Tuesday, 14th August 2012, 07:51

Herode2 wrote:I hate ... any kind of love. :cry:

What kind of priest are you? I think you need to work on your loving-kindness.

Swamp Slogger

Post Tuesday, 14th August 2012, 09:44

I will always remember how a soul-trapped Louise said "You're my only friend" to my death knight midway through the swamps. I wanted to cry when she died in the swamp frost vault.

But yeah, the HOPr game is a weird one. Hopefully you're starting to build up some elites rather than having a crowd of pawns running around. Ideally you'll have a handful of high powered orcs rather than an unwashed horde. 5 orc knights can hurt something, 25 vanilla orcs wont. And don't consider the exp you don't get from the mines as going to waste, if your horde is killing em, revel in the fact that they'll get a little stronger.
"You draw a card... It is the Bones."

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 15th August 2012, 01:45

Confidence Interval wrote:
Herode2 wrote:I hate ... any kind of love. :cry:

What kind of priest are you? I think you need to work on your loving-kindness.

He's obviously not a catholic priest... :lol:
Jabberwocky wrote:You came back on the forums. Everything in the corner has been worse since 11/4/12. It got better when you left, but now it's bad again.

"You cannot grasp the true form of Giygas's attack!"

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 15th August 2012, 08:41

In Soviet Russia, catholic priests... hem... nah, forget it.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice