A trip in the Spiders Nest ?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Halls Hopper

Post Tuesday, 14th August 2012, 11:13

A trip in the Spiders Nest ?

Here I am again with my soon to be YASD. The guy is exploring Lair because the Skelettal Warriors in D:12 are really too strong for him.
OASimeon.txt
(16.34 KiB) Downloaded 35 times

After the lost of my HOPr I wanted to try something different so I just generated a random viable character and got this SESt. Pretty viable indeed since even in my clumsy hands he reached XL13 and found some valuable items : most of them are equipped or available in the inventory, some other have been stashed : a golden dragon hide (I guess he'll never the opportunity to use it but I didn't want to leave on the floor, it's because of the shiny colours, you know...), several books, some staves he doesn't currently use because of the Ash bounds, etc.

Now, he's standing near the entrance of the Nest. Of course, I'm curious since I've never seen that portal before and I'm very tempted to enter. On the other hand, I'm unsure this build can do it. Although he has mephitic clouds almost at will with his transmogriffier spells, he is an average melee fighter and could find himself into trouble if surrounded by hostile vermin, or attacked by surprise. Unless Ash helps in this regard... Also, he lacks SInv.

So, after your experience, is the Nest just a deadly trap for this character, or is it worth the visit ?

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 14th August 2012, 11:31

Re: A trip in the Spiders Nest ?

You are training way way way too many skills at once! Turn at least half of those off. Others will have more indepth character building advice.

Anyway, to answer your question, stay out of spider lest you get splatted.
(p.s. this is stupid some dev please make it not stupid) - minmay

Sewers Scotsman

Post Tuesday, 14th August 2012, 11:37

Going to Lair rather than D12 is a good idea. Going into the Spider's Nest without poison resistance is not a good idea. I'd stick to the main Lair.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 14th August 2012, 13:15

Even with the poison resistance Spider's Nest can be really dangerous, cause 1) poison resistance does not mean immune to poison and 2) sometimes 7~8 spiders are waiting for you as soon as you enter the portal.

That's how one of my MiFi warrior died (who had poison resistance, btw), attacked by 7~8 giant centipedes at once.

Halls Hopper

Post Tuesday, 14th August 2012, 15:01

OK, I'll avoid the Nest then. As for rP, I had the Cure Poison spell available instead but anyway, the Nest looks too hard right now. Thanks for the advices !

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 14th August 2012, 15:14

Generally speaking, you don't need to visit the Lair branches until you need their runes, and you don't need the runes until you're ready to enter Zot.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 14th August 2012, 15:18

It's probably too late to make any difference, but you should certainly go into the Spiders' Nest. If nothing else, you spawn inside the portal vault right next to an exit portal to go out again, so if whatever you meet looks too scary to handle you can just leave. While there are a couple more difficult maps, most of them aren't any particular trouble.

Stalkers in particular are well-suited for clearing the Spiders' Nest portal vault. Most inhabitants are vulnerable to poison, so using Evaporate with potions of poison or degeneration will kill even the toughest spiders very quickly. Then you get back more poison potions than you used from the spider corpses. In the end, you get a load of practically free xp and ammo, plus a few random treasure items that may or may not be useful.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 14th August 2012, 15:22

I've already forgotten that that was a portal vault. I'm officially addicted to trunk.

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 15th August 2012, 01:50

I find spiders nest (the branch) to be quite easy, personally. The branch ending is especially easy (compared to other Lair branch endings.) The only part that can be a pain is the spiders spawning en masse around the entry stairs.
Jabberwocky wrote:You came back on the forums. Everything in the corner has been worse since 11/4/12. It got better when you left, but now it's bad again.

"You cannot grasp the true form of Giygas's attack!"

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 15th August 2012, 03:11

Clarity helps, too. If a tarantella damages you, you might become confused. Potions of curing work well enough, if you get surrounded you might not be able to quaff quickly enough to teleport or otherwise deal with the situation.

Yes: The best way to do spider is to wait until it's easy. There's no loot and the XP doesn't seem fantastic. So why rush? For a level 20+ character there's not much that should be able to hit you, until the vault on Spider:5. Ghost moths are dangerous to many builds.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice