Probability random potion/scroll destroyed: quantity or type

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Lair Larrikin

Post Saturday, 12th February 2011, 21:02

Probability random potion/scroll destroyed: quantity or type

When an orc mage hits you with magic flame, or a centaur shoot you with an arrow of frost, there is a chance some of your scrolls will burn to ashes and some of your potions will froze and shatter.

This makes useless potions and scroll somewhat less useless until you find a cloak/amulet of conservation.

But at this point we need to know something: is the probability of a random potion/scroll to be chosen quantity related or quality related?

I mean:
A mottled dragon breathe fire and the RNG decides a scroll of mine has been burned.
In my backpack I have only 10 scroll.. 1 of them is a scroll of acquirement, the other 9 are complete junk.
Is there always a 10% chance of the scroll of acquirement being burned (so the % is quantity related) or the probabilty depends on how many different scrolls are the 9 useless ones (so the % is quality related)?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 12th February 2011, 21:27

Re: Probability random potion/scroll destroyed: quantity or

The presence of junk potions and scrolls have no impact on whether the important ones get destroyed. If you are implausibly unlucky, a single Throw Frost from a lowly orc wizard could destroy every potion in a stack of a thousand heal wounds potions, because each one has a separate chance to be destroyed. If you have a single cure mutation potion in your inventory, it has the same odds of destruction regardless of how many other stacks of potions are in your inventory, because every destruction effect checks all the stacks. You are just unlikely to be so unlucky as to lose them all at the same time.

Conservation gives a 90% chance of preventing the destruction of one that would have otherwise been destroyed in this manner.

For this message the author KoboldLord has received thanks:
Morosgovanyi

Blades Runner

Post Saturday, 12th February 2011, 22:03

minmay wrote:There is a wall. There is a shirt taped to the wall. There is a monkey throwing feces at the wall. The chance of the feces hitting that particular shirt is the same regardless of whether or not there are also other shirts taped to the wall.

That is... quite vivid :shock:
First off Gendalf in speedo, now this. Grimm badly influences you i think :)

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 13th February 2011, 03:45

Either way, you're best off just leaving items like that in your stash. Acquirement, enchant foo, vorpalize weapon, recharge, and cure mutation all should be kept out of danger. I also recommend leaving some excess scrolls of teleport and remove curse.

Lair Larrikin

Post Sunday, 13th February 2011, 10:00

.. but:

What about the mummy curse?

Do carrying useless potions and cursable items helps preventing the good potions to be "decayed" and the good items to be cursed?

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 13th February 2011, 12:48

Morosgovanyi wrote:.. but:

What about the mummy curse?

Do carrying useless potions and cursable items helps preventing the good potions to be "decayed" and the good items to be cursed?

Yes, because a single item (or stack) is cursed. But I've removed potion curse in trunk, so carrying junk potion is useless. I don't think equipment cursing is bad enough to bother carrying junk items.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

For this message the author galehar has received thanks:
Morosgovanyi

Lair Larrikin

Post Sunday, 13th February 2011, 15:10

Potions still decay in 0.7.2.. you're talking about the next version? Good to know.

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 13th February 2011, 17:36

Morosgovanyi wrote:Potions still decay in 0.7.2.. you're talking about the next version?

Yes. Potion decay from mummy curse is removed in 0.8
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice