Can we talk about distortion?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Monday, 6th August 2012, 14:14

Can we talk about distortion?

I never use it, but I've just been *ahem* invited to do so on a DDEE who picked up a glowing dagger on D:2.

It seems wickedly powerful, and I can still butcher with a dagger, so I think I could credibly use this thing until I'm able to survive red glow or an abyssing.

But overall, what do people think about this powerful and dangerous brand?

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 6th August 2012, 14:25

Re: Can we talk about distortion?

Distortion is an interesting brand. It's not necessarily the best choice for killing things, since there's a chance the target is going to be blinked or tele-ed away, or banished (this can get quite annoying, actually, in some circumstances). But it is just about the best brand for getting things out of your way, and can double as a (not without risk) escape option.

For a caster, the first problem isn't much of one- since you want to be killing things at range anyways. For a low level EE, you've got the problem that it's going to stop you from equipping rocks for sandblast, though.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Monday, 6th August 2012, 14:29

Yeah, I'm seeing that.

I managed to kill Purgy, Eustacio, and a few Ogres, so I can reliably cast Stone Arrow now, which is nice. So far it has saved me HARD when I got shafted from D:5 to d:8 into a bunch of gnolls, skeles, and a jelly. The dagger bought me some time to flee.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 6th August 2012, 14:37

I recently played a spriggan wizard with a trident of distortion. I would hide behind flame clouds and summons, but enemies would get blinked into my escape route or teleported into areas that I thought were safe. I eventually got smashed by a Cyclops' rock.

Lair Larrikin

Post Monday, 6th August 2012, 16:10

It's fun, but not extremely reliable. If you have nothing better to wield, I don't see much of a reason not to.

Anyone else think it would be very fun if distortion effects could proc when you were butchering?
Wins: DsFi (15 runes) x2, DsFi (4 runes) x2, MiFi (3 runes)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 6th August 2012, 16:10

No, that sounds absolutely terrible?? Something extremely similar is in the list of things we are never going to do, anyway.

For this message the author cerebovssquire has received thanks:
cursednobleman

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice