Should I get attached to this randart armour?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Thursday, 2nd August 2012, 09:46

Should I get attached to this randart armour?

Currently playing a NaMo of Chei, inspired by the guide on the wiki. Found an altar of Chei on dlvl 2, and continued on to find two randart armours. A ring mail and a leather armour. The ring mail was +4 Str-4 Int+3, so I chucked it immediately. The Leather though was a real juicy find: +0 rC+ and +Blink.

I started pumping Evocations, I figure a reliably way to blink repeatedly is really valuable. Now what do you think? How attached should I get to this armour?

EDIT: The character has just cleared the Sewers and on his merry way to the Lair (haven't found it yet)

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 2nd August 2012, 10:12

Re: Should I get attached to this randart armour?

From my limited point of view, unless you invest heavily in armor, you'll end up using leather until midgame, so the leather with blink is quite nice. Be prepared to make some other kind of armour ponderous afterwards to be fully bound.
My wins so far - FeBe, KoBe, DsCo, MDFi, DsBe

Barkeep

Post Thursday, 2nd August 2012, 11:18

Being able to blink on a Naga of Chei is indeed very valuable. Probably wear the armour until you find a spellbook with Blink in it. Getting a source of teleport control will also be awfully nice. You won't blink into dangerous clouds, so if you luck out and find Freezing Cloud you can use that as an awkward cTele to an extent.

Only get attached to armour until you find something better ;)
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 2nd August 2012, 12:31

palin wrote:Be prepared to make some other kind of armour ponderous afterwards to be fully bound.

This doesn't apply to recent versions. Chei just makes you slower (based on piety) no matter what you're wearing.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Thursday, 2nd August 2012, 12:34

Man, it's like some of you haven't even played Chei! :p
take it easy
  Code:
!lg * won !DD-- min=turns -log
<Sequell> 20749. Bloax, XL24 VSTm, T:13320: http://crawl.lantea.net/crawl/morgue/Bloax/morgue-Bloax-20140907-000920.txt

Did you know that I like ruining crawl every now and then? Go check it out.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 2nd August 2012, 13:09

njvack wrote:You won't blink into dangerous clouds, so if you luck out and find Freezing Cloud you can use that as an awkward cTele to an extent.

Knowledge bot:
It doesn't land you in water or lava, but it may land you in clouds.

As far as I know, the bot is right. Do NOT use it together with freezing cloud (or conjure flame).

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 2nd August 2012, 13:28

Did you really miss the sentence immediately before that? The one where he said, "Getting a source of teleport control will also be awfully nice." Really?

EDIT: this place needs strikethrough...
I retract my statement.
Last edited by BlackSheep on Thursday, 2nd August 2012, 14:05, edited 1 time in total.

Barkeep

Post Thursday, 2nd August 2012, 13:57

sanka wrote:It doesn't land you in water or lava, but it may land you in clouds.

As far as I know, the bot is right. Do NOT use it together with freezing cloud (or conjure flame).

Thanks for that -- I think this is new-ish behavior? It's also entirely possible I'm just making stuff up :)

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 2nd August 2012, 14:40

JeffQyzt wrote:This doesn't apply to recent versions. Chei just makes you slower (based on piety) no matter what you're wearing.

If he's following the wiki, I hope he's playing a 0.10 ;-)
My wins so far - FeBe, KoBe, DsCo, MDFi, DsBe

Barkeep

Post Thursday, 2nd August 2012, 16:19

Regardless, it's important to note that NaMo/Chei is not going to be a particularly easy combo. This is definitely a "be inspired to try something a little more challenging than DEFE/Vehu or SpEn/Nemelex" guide.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 3rd August 2012, 06:38

it can be a bit rough to start, but with constriction in .10 it's really not at all a tough combo.

It does have a slightly more tricky ruleset for armor, though. It's possible to simply stay light armor if you're experienced and want faster spell support, but I think that switching to heavy armor around temple is more newbie friendly. You'll want around level 5 armor to wear plate, and 10 is better, but once you have some armor skill the penalties won't hurt much. Keep in mind that heavy armor can slow down your melee attack, though. Turn on game turns to get a sense of how badly, it decreases as you learn armor skill. Switch to a dragon armor (fire/ice/pearl) by late game; combined with good armor skill it's fairly easy to cast in. You'll still have a small penalty, though.

I'm of course horribly biased, as I wrote the guide you are going by, and some people claim it's terrible, but it works very well for me :)

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Friday, 3rd August 2012, 09:23

Thanks for the tips, guys!

So far the combo has worked quite well. Have had a couple of close encounters (those centaurs are DEADLY on open ground).

I'll probably have to ditch it after I've got some more escape options/beefier armour.

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 3rd August 2012, 14:52

njvack wrote:
sanka wrote:It doesn't land you in water or lava, but it may land you in clouds.

Thanks for that -- I think this is new-ish behavior? It's also entirely possible I'm just making stuff up :)

Blink used to not put you in dangerous clouds, yeah. Although, I think I changed that more than a year ago, so I'm not sure if it qualifyies as new-ish :)
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Barkeep

Post Friday, 3rd August 2012, 15:53

Aah... it still won't take you out of LOS, right? So if you have a source of steam or fog, you can use that to semi-control your uncontrolled blink?

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 4th August 2012, 10:51

njvack wrote:Aah... it still won't take you out of LOS, right? So if you have a source of steam or fog, you can use that to semi-control your uncontrolled blink?

Yes
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 4th August 2012, 11:37

Wouldn't Dodging be a better choice anyway since that way you can use DEX bonus to its full potential?

Blades Runner

Post Saturday, 4th August 2012, 16:34

Most people think EV on a naga of chei is better. Some reasons IMHO: (1) you can cast spells like repel missiles and blink without waiting for the endgame, (2) chei's dex bonus grants lots of EV, (3) Nagas receive only half of the base AC of armour, (4) with tough skin and a barding, nagas have lots of AC even without heavy armour, so at the margin EV could be stronger.

Once you find the blink spell, learn it and ditch your leather armour for a better leather armour or for a swamp/steam/mottled/troll armour.

As an aside, I would also suggest developing a good ranged attack, be it missiles or spells, as you can't charge and or run well as a chei devotee.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 7th August 2012, 17:40

Hey, did anyone tell him to haste monsters and use slouch on them, yet?

Because that's crap advice.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice