What armour at what Armour levels

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Mines Malingerer

Post Monday, 7th February 2011, 21:19

What armour at what Armour levels

What armour do people tend to wear at various levels of the Armour skill? e.g. if you wear plate at Armour level 1 you tend to miss hitting monsters a lot, due to the Ev penalty.

Thanks!

Mines Malingerer

Post Monday, 7th February 2011, 21:38

Re: What armour at what Armour levels

Your question really only applies to spellcasters, in which case yes, only wear heavier armor at certain skill levels to keep your spells usable.

Armor skill minimizes the EV penalty the armor gives you, it doesn't make attacks less accurate( it does slow them down). Strength and your skill negate this. If you find a plate mail on D:1 put it on!

...if you aren't a caster or a sneaky class.
Arsenal FC...I'm a gooner.

Mines Malingerer

Post Monday, 7th February 2011, 22:47

colma wrote:Your question really only applies to spellcasters, in which case yes, only wear heavier armor at certain skill levels to keep your spells usable.

Armor skill minimizes the EV penalty the armor gives you, it doesn't make attacks less accurate( it does slow them down). Strength and your skill negate this. If you find a plate mail on D:1 put it on!

...if you aren't a caster or a sneaky class.

Is there not a to-hit penalty that is greater depending on the EV penalty of your armour..? What do the "Your plate mail prevents you from hitting <foo>" represent, if not? Thanks!

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 7th February 2011, 23:56

colma wrote:it doesn't make attacks less accurate( it does slow them down).

It's the other way around. The speed penalty has been removed, but you do get a to_hit penalty of 1d(AEVP).

colma wrote:Strength and your skill negate this.

Strength doesn't really reduce the penalty, it's more like not having enough (<3*EVP) makes the penalty worse. And you can't completely negates it.

colma wrote:If you find a plate mail on D:1 put it on!

That's true for now. One of the thing that should be fixed by increasing the to_hit penalty in my opinion.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Mines Malingerer

Post Tuesday, 8th February 2011, 00:12

lulz, I seriously never knew there was a to hit penalty. I've won around two dozen times, and never noticed. I guess that just really drives your last point home.
Arsenal FC...I'm a gooner.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice