Which hex wands to carry?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 31st July 2012, 17:56

Which hex wands to carry?

We have a number of wands that can delay / incapacitate monsters:
- Confusion
- Slow
- Paralysis
- Enslavement

I may be overlooking some. The question is, which is most worth carrying, generally?

Enslavement seems the most useful since it doesn't just stop an enemy, but turns it to your side. You can even stab an enslaved monster. But does it have an easier resist check for monsters?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 31st July 2012, 19:38

Re: Which hex wands to carry?

If I have no damage wands, I'll keep all of those. I'll hang on to Enslavement through Lair and Orc, but later too much resists it and I have better options.

I'm surprised that they all have the same power. It seems like paralysis gets resisted a lot more than confusion.

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 31st July 2012, 19:40

Slowing has a higher effective power and so is harder for enemies to resist, just like the spell. The others all have the same power.

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 31st July 2012, 21:13

I can see them have different uses - confusion near water / lava / damaging clouds, etc., but basically enslavement is gonna be the bomb.

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 31st July 2012, 22:04

If I pump my Evocations, will these wands suck less?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 31st July 2012, 22:53

ddubois wrote:If I pump my Evocations, will these wands suck less?

Marginally. They'll still be clearly inferior to the spell version for those that have spell versions, on account of having strictly limited charges. You can't tap 5 and get all your wand charges back, so don't expect enchanter gameplay out of them.

Definitely don't do this unless you've invested heavily into evocations for some other reason already. Which probably means you're playing Nemelex, mind you, and that means you'd be better off spending the inventory slot on another legendary deck of summoning.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice