Slingin' with Trog

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 25th July 2012, 18:40

Slingin' with Trog

How can I best manipulate Trog to maximize the chance of him giving me a sling? It's not that I don't appreciate the ammo, I do, but when my sling is +0/+1, I'd really prefer he give me some slings first (velocity and punk being top of the wishlist!), and my understanding is that each ammo gift is restarting my gift timer. Do I need to consider doing non-obvious tactics, like leaving my Slings at skill level 7 until I have ***** or better, then flipping it on? (I recall he was giving slings to me SpBe, but I think that was related to the SpBe's tendency to have maximum piety, whereas my DDBe is sort of required to regen a lot.)

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 25th July 2012, 18:45

Re: Slingin' with Trog

There's no good way to game Trog to give you a launcher instead of ammo. If you're going for a melee / ranged hybrid of some kind, it's worth keeping your ranged skill below 8 long enough to get a decent melee weapon before the shower of ammo starts. If you're focusing on ranged though, just skill up and wait for it. There will be slings mixed in with the bullet gifts before too long.

For this message the author mageykun has received thanks:
onton

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 26th July 2012, 05:18

Re: Slingin' with Trog

mageykun wrote:There's no good way to game Trog to give you a launcher instead of ammo. If you're going for a melee / ranged hybrid of some kind, it's worth keeping your ranged skill below 8 long enough to get a decent melee weapon before the shower of ammo starts. If you're focusing on ranged though, just skill up and wait for it. There will be slings mixed in with the bullet gifts before too long.

Oops, misclick-thanked :)

Doesn't Trog give you ammo only when you actually are carrying a launcher for it? If it's correct, you could theoretically drop your sling for a while and do an easy branch without it or whatever. Might be a bit challenging if you rely on slings heavily.

For this message the author onton has received thanks:
ddubois

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice