Fairly specific berserkitis question

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Zot Zealot

Post Monday, 7th February 2011, 13:05

Fairly specific berserkitis question

I have an XL20 SETm of Chei.

He has acquired the Berserk mutation from a nequoxec, though only at level 1. ("You feel a little pissed off"... truer words etc etc.)

Although I'm working towards Earth Magic, I'm not at the point where it's really working well yet. I'm thus spending a lot of time in melee, which means I'm spending a non-trivial amount of time zerking. Given that I don't even get the haste benefit due to Chei worship, this is turning into a significant pain in the arse - it hasn't been fatal yet but I feel that's probaby just luck...

I have one (but only one) potion of cure mutation in a stash. My question is, blow it now and hope I don't acquire anything worse (I have a randart amulet of resist mutation now) or that I can find another one? Or try and live with it?
I am sure I played flawflessly. This was an utmost unfair death. -- gorbeh

Zot Zealot

Post Monday, 7th February 2011, 13:06

Re: Fairly specific berserkitis question

[edit: ObOffTopicThing: Just met my first Deep Dwarf Unborn. What a bunch of bastards.]

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 7th February 2011, 15:33

Use the potion. The alternative is to gamble with mutagenic chunks, or with Alter Self. Unless you've got a big set of good mutations, that is.
You fall off the wall. You have a feeling of ineptitude.

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 7th February 2011, 19:35

Clarity prevents the mutation from activating. Stasis also works, but you may need to teleport in battle. If you don't have either then drink the potion.

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 7th February 2011, 21:13

Stasis isn't too bad an idea with Chei since you can't haste anyway, I'd imagine. You'd have to juggle it on and off to blink/teleport though, yeah.

Zot Zealot

Post Monday, 7th February 2011, 21:45

Bugger.

I didn't know about Clarity, which I had on me, so I took the potion option.

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 7th February 2011, 21:49

Actually I think with Che Stasis is one of the worst things you can use, exactly because you can't haste, and have to rely on blinking and teleporting to get away from danger.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 8th February 2011, 01:33

There is no worse mutation in the game than berserkitis. It would not be a waste to use several potions of cure mutation trying to get rid of it. There are two partial remedies: clarity and never fighting anything in melee ever again. Keeping an amulet of clarity on keeps you from equipping an amulet of resist mutation, which means you're going to have a whole lot MORE crappy mutations as soon as you see a nasty mutating monster. It's even worth blindly eating mutagenic chunks and quaffing potions of mutation to get rid of berserkitis, because they have a chance to purge a pre-existing mutation and you simply cannot get much worse.

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 8th February 2011, 06:52

Yep berserkitis totally sucks, it is by far the worst mutation out there and just completely ruins characters. At level 1 it's only a 5% chance to berserk but if you think about it, it might take you 5 hits to kill the average enemy, which means you berserk once every 4 enemies you fight.

Potions of cure mutation are worth quaffing to cure horrible mutation sets because they're not as rare as they seem. On average I find 2-4 of them in a single game, and sometimes the Sewers or another portal vault will have a large stack of them as loot.
TrCK:
Xom grants you an implement of some kind.
_Something appears at your feet!
4790 gold pieces {god gift}.

DsAr:
You blink. You feel slightly more hungry. Prince Ribbit hits you. You die...
"Hey, that's my toy!"
Xom revives you!

For this message the author tormodpwns has received thanks:
joellercoaster

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice