I want a win with an OGRE

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Halls Hopper

Post Tuesday, 17th July 2012, 19:51

I want a win with an OGRE

Hey everyone.

I've been driving myself mad trying to get a win with an ogre. I had luck with hunters for a while but ran out of steam in the mid game. I liked screwing around with ogre necromancers just so i can then follow ashenzari and be able to generate chunks. recently ive just been doing ogre chaos knights to kill time. anyone have any advice other than join trog or play a beserker?

I've gotten 1 win before but it was with a human wiz

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 17th July 2012, 20:41

Re: I want a win with an OGRE

If you really don't want to go Trog or play Hu (this gives you an easier win), I like OgGl*Okawaru or OgAs*Okawaru (both are better than Fi). Wr is also something to consider.
Train Maces&Flails to 22, use a giant spiked club when its delay goes to 10 if you don't have something else that's better (whip of elec is better at low skill, for instance, and a giant club is better at 14ish levels).
After that, just go for Fighting, and Armour when you find a dragon armour or Okawaru gifts you one.
Either invest in INT for spells (you will probably end up in fire dragon armour or something similar then) or just go for STR and GDA.
Other non-Trog gods for GSC ogres that are good: Makhleb, Elyvilon, Nemelex, Yredelemnul (OgDK is pretty good, I won one without much problems).

Some winning morgues of mine should you be interested:
http://crawl.develz.org/morgues/0.10/El ... 145717.txt (OgWr)
http://crawl.develz.org/morgues/trunk/E ... 191140.txt (OgDK)
http://crawl.develz.org/morgues/0.9/Ely ... 120650.txt (OgIE)

I think the Wr and the DK are well-played and that the IE isn't too great. It is an old char.

EDIT: OgSu*Sif is one of the best spellcasting ogres, in my experience.
Last edited by cerebovssquire on Tuesday, 17th July 2012, 20:48, edited 2 times in total.

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 17th July 2012, 20:47

OgHu was my ogre win as well, it's just a matter of using your starting large rocks carefully & finding a good mace/club early. I chose to go with Okawaru, and ended up changing to TSO in the endgame. Once you get your fighting skills up it's not too hard to pick up some good buff spells, even in GDA. That ogre was my first character to mess around with ziggurats, and would have been able to finish one if not for an unfortunate accident involving Tukima's Dance & highly enchanted GSC's. So yeah, don't be afraid to stick with hunter if you like that, all it takes is a bit of luck with gear to get off the ground. Best of luck to ya!
Xom sounds like he would get a sex change once every couple of weeks just for the hell of it. - ElectricAlbatross

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 18th July 2012, 09:46

My best one, and most recent also, was a OgTm which was fortunate to learn more spells from a book of Wizardry
duvessa wrote:Christ, you can't remove anything without tavern complaining about it.

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 18th July 2012, 13:35

Thanks everyone for the advice! though im curious that no one has mentioned playing ogres with ashenzari for the amazing stat bonuses that come later on.

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 18th July 2012, 16:10

I have a really sweet game with an OgHu of Xom

heres the dump http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/lerugray/lerugray.txt

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 20th July 2012, 17:29

Have fun when Xom decides that he'd like to see how well you'd do against your own club...

Also - Ash doesn't grant stat bonuses; ash grants skill bonuses. Ogres of Ash can make a certain sense, because you have good spellcasting apts and can use Ash to ease the burden of low levels in whatever schools you happen to find...but first you have to get to that point.

Or did you mean Chei, in which case you have to survive the "big slow moving target with no armor" phase to get to the "impressive stat bonuses (while still being painfully slow)" phase?

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 20th July 2012, 18:24

Why against berserkers? I splatted a OgBe in Zot last weekend... the middle game was pretty easy once you get GSC usable and large rocks for throwing. Of course you could do pretty much the same thing with Fi Gl Hu or whatever and just worship different god.

Lair Larrikin

Post Monday, 23rd July 2012, 20:02

Starting is an OgBe and then switching to TSO works pretty well. Stay with Trog until you have a nice GSC and a weapon with rPois (unless you also have it from some other source); getting an rElec weapon is useful also. Once you have your M&F and Fighting both at say 22+, level some Armour skill, make yourself a suit of dragon armour and abandon Trog. If you wait in a cul-de-sac with sustenance, fire resistance, curing, and plenty of food, then you should have no problem just killing the summons and waiting out his wrath. An amulet of faith makes the waiting a little less tedious.

After that's done, go pick up TSO and increase your spellcasting and charms until you can reliably cast swiftness. Find some mutation resistance and you should be able to clear Zot:5. Find a gold dragon, make a suit of gold dragon armour, and level up Armour skill. Now you should be able to go pretty much anywhere except for Tomb; if you want to go there, level Armour and relevant spellcasting skills enough so that you can cast Haste and Silence in your GDA.

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 23rd July 2012, 21:46

Getting an OgBe to reliably cast level 6 spells in GDA requires int on every 3rd level, wizardry, and training some bad apt skills very high (wizmode with 15 int, wizardry ring, 20 armour, 17 charms, 20 spellcasting is still 7% failure for haste, and silence requires another 2 spell schools). Getting that much XP almost certainly means grinding pan. To save yourself some crippling boredom I'd recommend using FDA or MDA instead.

For this message the author eeviac has received thanks:
Phrizz

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 24th July 2012, 03:56

eeviac wrote:Getting an OgBe to reliably cast level 6 spells in GDA requires int on every 3rd level, wizardry, and training some bad apt skills very high (wizmode with 15 int, wizardry ring, 20 armour, 17 charms, 20 spellcasting is still 7% failure for haste, and silence requires another 2 spell schools). Getting that much XP almost certainly means grinding pan. To save yourself some crippling boredom I'd recommend using FDA or MDA instead.

Good point - you don't need a GDA in tomb. I forgot that I didn't use it there; the mummies don't deal as much physical damage so you can get away with lighter armour, as you said.

Wizardry, 12 int, 16 charms, 20 spellcasting, and 25 armour gets me 5% failure for haste. While it's true that it's a bit painful to raise Armour that high, it's not without benefit: it helps with the accuracy penalty and gives excellent physical protection. I was able to 15-rune without grinding Pan using this strategy.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice