Tip: Add "5" to macros for big spells

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 16th July 2012, 06:24

Tip: Add "5" to macros for big spells

I just tried this and man is it a) removing tedium from the game and b) helping to keep me alive.

My main damage spells right now are IMB and Bolt of Fire, assume they are a and b. My macros read: F1: za.5 and F2: zb.5

The 5 does nothing if there are still monsters in view. Once I've obliterated the last thing in sight though, I automatically do a long rest. This saves the tedium of stopping to rest, and makes sure I keep recharging the old MP pool. Usually it's only one or two monsters because I can start blasting them with BoF at the end of LOS as soon as I see them.

Very. Cool.

My other standbys are Fireball and Orb of Destruction, but I haven't macroed them because they are more situational, I don't want to blast myself, and OoD still costs me a Choko to cast so I want to switch to my staff of energy before casting it.

I just cleared Swamp: 5, the end with all the hydras and swamp dragons, and also featuring the Learnean Hydra, Mara, Boris and Frederick. All dead. I am unstoppable! (Which means I've reached the point where I get cocky and then get myself killed by bees or something stupid.)

For this message the author danr has received thanks: 2
MyOtheHedgeFox, pratamawirya

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 16th July 2012, 06:45

Re: Tip: Add "5" to macros for big spells

You also don't want to rest where you just made a lot of noise.... In most cases it is really safer to go rest somewhere other than where you just killed a lot of enemies (though less convenient).

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 16th July 2012, 18:26

Re: Tip: Add "5" to macros for big spells

I've been finding that while it does draw a few more monsters, they come one or two at a time which are dispatched fairly quickly, and I have a fair bit of MP, it only takes a few shots, and they take a while to come sometimes so I still recover some MP.

While my MP may continue to go down for a little bit, there's usually a point around when I still have about half or a third of my MP left when they stop coming. And if I did run out of MP, I can still run away then from the few that are left.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice