Trying to survive with an Octopode Anything

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Swamp Slogger

Post Monday, 9th July 2012, 23:13

Trying to survive with an Octopode Anything

So I've beat this game twice now, once with a DrWz of Ash and once with a NaWz of Oka->Vehu. I wanted a bit more of a challenge and decided to try an Octopode. In the past I've splatted dozens and I just splatted dozens (hundreds?) more. My first goal was OpTm and Statue Form. Many, many failed attempts to make it to the Temple, a few deaths post-temple, one death in Lair. I reconsidered my god choice and decided that, despite having had some wildly successful NaTm of Chei, maybe OpTm of Chei wasn't a good idea. Then I decided to try EE of Ash. A bit more successful on that front, Stoneskin was nice, auto-id of protection weapons was very nice. Did OK but managed to die a couple dozen times nonetheless. I'd tend to make it to the Lair or partially through it. So then I switched to IE of Ash. Ozocubu's Armour was MUCH better than Stoneskin; Summon Ice Beast was good for emergencies. I finally managed to FINISH Lair, and the Orcish Mines, having netted some good spells and a nice artefact vampiric demon blade!...

...only to die to a centaur captain. Gah. I had Fighting/Dodging/Shields at about L10, wondering if I should have kept a protection weapon instead of the demon blade. I didn't feel that there was much I could have done differently... I couldn't run, I tried Mephitic Cloud, zapped myself several times with a wand of heal wounds (which didn't negate getting hit each turn). In the end, I tried to fight him and died to a MISCAST of a 1% spell (LRD) that should have finished his sliver of health. I think he took me down from 80 HP or so in three shots after I gave up on healing.

So would anyone like to offer some survival tips for Octopodes? I want to eventually get to the extended game and go through some Ziggurats for rings. I don't want to be a follower of Sif, Vehu, Oka, or Chei. I don't want to use Fire Storm or the Wizard background as I've done it twice before. Thoughts?

Also, best options for dealing with ranged weapons (Are EV/SH better than AC?) would be nice. I never got Repel Missiles.
Last edited by Fungus on Wednesday, 11th July 2012, 05:27, edited 1 time in total.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 9th July 2012, 23:44

Re: Trying to survive with an Octopode

Stay far away from melee for essentially the whole game. Characters with all armor slots will eventually accumulate enough AC to basically ignore green rats, imps, and so on. You won't. Not without some unreasonably good luck with ring drops, anyway. Good backgrounds for octopodes include anything that has a solid long-range attack as early as possible out of the gate. I don't really recommend transmuter, no matter what the character generation screen says.

The best octopode deities are… Vehumet, Ashenzari, and Sif Muna, probably in that order. You decided you didn't want to do them again, but you probably chose them the first time because they're obviously the best for a character that depends on spells and will probably never hybridize. Generically good deities like Kiku, Nemelex, and Makhleb are fine, too, but Vehumet is going to get you a nice and predictable progression that hands you everything you need exactly when you need it.

Generally speaking, your battle strategy should be to turn opponents into charred, frozen, or smeared blotches on the dungeon floor before they get a chance to retaliate against your unfortunately fragile defenses. Repel and Deflect Missiles are certainly good defensive multipliers if you find them, but the best defensive multiplier is simply to break out of stealth with a devastating alpha strike that prevents your opponents from retaliating. Remember that you can run for the stairs just as fast as most other player species can.

Swamp Slogger

Post Monday, 9th July 2012, 23:52

Well, I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with Ash. Are there any good ways to deal with fast-moving ranged enemies? I'm wondering if I need to abandon autoexplore...

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 10th July 2012, 01:00

What about the AE route? You'll get Swiftness and Repel Missiles for dealing with fast moving ranged enemies, and you can eventually build up to Tornado which plays much differently from Fire Storm.
KoboldLord wrote:I'm also morbidly curious now as to how Shatter is abusable for 'stealth tricks'. It's about as stealthy as the Kool-Aid Man smashing through the walls and running through the room

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 10th July 2012, 01:44

Fungus wrote:Well, I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with Ash. Are there any good ways to deal with fast-moving ranged enemies? I'm wondering if I need to abandon autoexplore...

You should be able to recognize centaur packs (and ogre mage packs, and yaktaur packs, etc.) with Ashenzari's creature detection, if you have enough slots bound to get the radius up enough. A bunch of angry faces loosely grouped around a slightly angrier face, basically, with the exact angriness of the faces telling you enough information about their threat level for you to use process of elimination to figure out what sort of pack is causing the angry faces. Yaktaurs are angrier than centaurs, for instance. It should almost always be possible to pull some sort of corner trick on them to keep them all from shooting you at once. For single targets, of course, the answer is overwhelming force.

Swamp Slogger

Post Tuesday, 10th July 2012, 02:15

bobross419 wrote:What about the AE route? You'll get Swiftness and Repel Missiles for dealing with fast moving ranged enemies, and you can eventually build up to Tornado which plays much differently from Fire Storm.

AE looked interesting, but it seemed like a bit of a one-trick pony with Lightning Bolt. I have no idea how I would be able to get an Octopode to survive long enough to Lightning Bolt with only Shock to work with.

KoboldLord wrote:You should be able to recognize centaur packs (and ogre mage packs, and yaktaur packs, etc.) with Ashenzari's creature detection, if you have enough slots bound to get the radius up enough. A bunch of angry faces loosely grouped around a slightly angrier face, basically, with the exact angriness of the faces telling you enough information about their threat level for you to use process of elimination to figure out what sort of pack is causing the angry faces. Yaktaurs are angrier than centaurs, for instance. It should almost always be possible to pull some sort of corner trick on them to keep them all from shooting you at once. For single targets, of course, the answer is overwhelming force.

In my case it was autoexplore on an open-layout style level. There were no centaurs other than the captain that mowed me down. Maybe I should have tried for "overwhelming force" first instead of Mephitic Cloud and vain attempts to heal?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 10th July 2012, 02:27

Octopodes are fine with melee, you just have to realize you have low AC and play accordingly. Their tentacle aux and constriction combine to add a fair bit of damage (or, if you are playing a trunk version about three days old, an absolutely enormous amount of damage) so that somewhat makes up for your low AC.

Anyway opne is super strong because every ne is super strong so you can try that. Opie is good also.

Swamp Slogger

Post Tuesday, 10th July 2012, 02:48

crate wrote:Octopodes are fine with melee, you just have to realize you have low AC and play accordingly. Their tentacle aux and constriction combine to add a fair bit of damage (or, if you are playing a trunk version about three days old, an absolutely enormous amount of damage) so that somewhat makes up for your low AC.

Anyway opne is super strong because every ne is super strong so you can try that. Opie is good also.

I've tried a few non-Op necromancers and never really been able to get them off the ground. You get Pain and... otherwise play as melee? Vampiric Draining in close quarters?

d744141 | Neil Moore | 2012-07-08 23:33:29 -0400

Fix ridiculous octopode squeeze damage.
Commit 87c4016 changed player::has_tentacles() (and therefore
player::has_usable_tentacles()) to return the number of tentacles
rather than 0 or 1. The melee attack code, however, was using
that "0 or 1" as a multiplier.

Financial advice: invest in brown paper bag manufacturers.
:lol:

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 10th July 2012, 03:03

Every spell in the ne starting book is very good.

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 10th July 2012, 06:30

Melee octopodes are just fine. I just did a spelless 15-runer going from Oka to TSO. It was certainly not very difficult I didn't use Oka's abilities a single time granted I had an absolute shitload if slaying in the end. Shields + ev will give you enough defences and constriction helps in the early game when your defences still suck heavily.

Edit. I wouldn't know about possible nerfs to constriction in trunk, at least nagas get their constriction ability later now than in 0.10.

Swamp Slogger

Post Tuesday, 10th July 2012, 20:18

crate wrote:Every spell in the ne starting book is very good.

Well, I'm trying Ne now and and using skeletons and zombies as bone/fleshshields. I haven't found a good way to deal with undead and demons yet. On D:8, no wands, still as squishy pode as ever.

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 10th July 2012, 21:08

Demons aren't to be dealt with. If you find Grinder, pass the level. If you find a Crimson Imp, park him on the level above; parking red imps is extremely easy.

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 10th July 2012, 21:28

Control Undead and/or your own undead should be good at dealing with enemy undead.
Won all race/bg, unwon (online): Nem* Hep Uka
Favourites: 15-rune Trog, OgNe/OgIE/OgSu (usually Ash), Ds, Ru, SpEn, Ce of Chei, Qaz

Swamp Slogger

Post Tuesday, 10th July 2012, 22:13

Got hit by a pack of yaks, retreated up a couple levels and ran into... a Storm Dragon. On D:7. One hit with lightning, bouncing off the wall behind me, and it was over. Really, RNG?

Maybe I should move this to CIP: Octopode Anything.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 11th July 2012, 00:06

Fungus wrote:

Well, I'm trying Ne now and and using skeletons and zombies as bone/fleshshields. I haven't found a good way to deal with undead and demons yet. On D:8, no wands, still as squishy pode as ever.

Tab spell will kill the only demon (crimson imp) that exists. You can try looking at the rest of the spells in your starting book to deal with undead.

Swamp Slogger

Post Wednesday, 11th July 2012, 05:25

crate wrote:
Fungus wrote:

Tab spell will kill the only demon (crimson imp) that exists. You can try looking at the rest of the spells in your starting book to deal with undead.

Perhaps I'm missing some obvious sarcasm, but I'm pretty sure there are other demons in the game besides crimson imp. Tab doesn't work well with no weapons training, which may mean I'm playing the class wrong? Not sure. With my wizards I focused on getting killing power from spells and went for weapons much later (usually around the Vaults). With the Necromancer, Pain+Vampiric Draining can't get me through Lair at all. Just got shredded by a pack of blink frogs that intercepted my escape, but before that, I was doing a lot of stair dancing and trying to keep my zombies alive. I was doing OK taking on single enemies at a time, but had no good method of dealing with packs of any sort.

I'm thinking maybe I should try starting IE/EE for an AC boost and then go with Kiku instead of Ash.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 11th July 2012, 05:31

Re: Trying to survive with an Octopode Anything

In a 3-runes game, crimson imps are the only kind of demon that bother you. All other demons are highly situational (like in special vaults or something).

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 11th July 2012, 05:32

I've noticed a number of random quasit spawns in trunk

(they're not much stronger than crimson imps)

Lair Larrikin

Post Wednesday, 11th July 2012, 05:51

crimson imp? even XL2 octopode shall able to kill it in 5 turns.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 11th July 2012, 06:38

When I said every spell in the ne book, I was most definitely including lethal infusion, since lethal infusion is better than any of the skald brands! You should try it.

Also an op with no weapon skill and a dagger can probably tab a crimson imp to death since you have tentacles + constriction.

Swamp Slogger

Post Wednesday, 11th July 2012, 14:14

pratamawirya wrote:In a 3-runes game, crimson imps are the only kind of demon that bother you. All other demons are highly situational (like in special vaults or something).

I definitely want to go for all runes + Zigs for rings.

One-Eyed Jack wrote:I've noticed a number of random quasit spawns in trunk

(they're not much stronger than crimson imps)

I've been nearly shredded by quasits twice now (run away at < 50% health without having damaged it significantly).

archl wrote:crimson imp? even XL2 octopode shall able to kill it in 5 turns.

With no defenses and especially if the crimson imp has a weapon, I'm not usually as lucky. But, you are right, they aren't extremely dangerous, but they tend to pick up things like wands and blast me while blinking around.

crate wrote:When I said every spell in the ne book, I was most definitely including lethal infusion, since lethal infusion is better than any of the skald brands! You should try it.

Funny, that's the one I usually skip because I'm worried about losing exp. The trade-off is worth it? I figured I never want to be in close combat anyway.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 11th July 2012, 14:41

Fungus wrote:
pratamawirya wrote:In a 3-runes game, crimson imps are the only kind of demon that bother you. All other demons are highly situational (like in special vaults or something).

I definitely want to go for all runes + Zigs for rings.

Being a necro doesn't matter in the post-endgame. Kill the demons with any tools you can find.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 11th July 2012, 17:32

Fungus wrote:
crate wrote:When I said every spell in the ne book, I was most definitely including lethal infusion, since lethal infusion is better than any of the skald brands! You should try it.

Funny, that's the one I usually skip because I'm worried about losing exp. The trade-off is worth it? I figured I never want to be in close combat anyway.

If people didn't tell you that draining had an xp penalty, you would never have noticed it. It is utterly insignificant.

Swamp Slogger

Post Wednesday, 11th July 2012, 17:39

archl wrote:crimson imp? even XL2 octopode shall able to kill it in 5 turns.

OK, I think you're overstating this quite a bit. I just tried with my XL5 Octopode and, after getting down to 10/31 HP having made no real dent (the imp healed anything I could take off), I switched to Throw Icicle. This imp was weaponless and wandless. Constriction doesn't help when they blink.

Blade wrote:If people didn't tell you that draining had an xp penalty, you would never have noticed it. It is utterly insignificant.

Thanks, good to know.

Swamp Slogger

Post Wednesday, 11th July 2012, 19:09

Well, I got another Ice Elementalist of Ash running and am about to entire Lair, but I only have the starting spellbook and the Book of Flames (ironic). Fire magic cancels Ozocubu's Armour, but I'm thinking of picking up Fireball, Sticky Flame perhaps... the success rates aren't bad. I also found a vampiric demon whip in a shop and want to use it, but I know I'll run out of food without being able to butcher. Is it a suicidal idea to use Inner Flame to (hopefully) blow up monsters into chunks? Or maybe I should just spam Fireball and wait until I get Animate Skeleton before using the demon whip? Also, If a monster gets into close quarters, I want to have O's Armour up, but in that sort of situation Sticky Flame would be nice...

Any tips?

re: minmay
??shald reasons
No data found...

??fire elementalist reasons
Sticky flame.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 11th July 2012, 21:45

I would personally not bother with sticky flame as an opie but if you want to learn it go ahead, it is not very dependent on spellpower and is a very strong spell. I would not learn anything else that is fire magic except maybe conjure flame.

You should buy the vampiric demon whip if you can afford it because it is amazing, and you can use animate skeleton or ice form to butcher once you find one of them. In the meantime you can carry it around and equip it for fights where you might die without it.

Swamp Slogger

Post Wednesday, 11th July 2012, 22:02

crate wrote:I would personally not bother with sticky flame as an opie but if you want to learn it go ahead, it is not very dependent on spellpower and is a very strong spell. I would not learn anything else that is fire magic except maybe conjure flame.

You should buy the vampiric demon whip if you can afford it because it is amazing, and you can use animate skeleton or ice form to butcher once you find one of them. In the meantime you can carry it around and equip it for fights where you might die without it.

Thanks for the tips! Is there a way to move this thread to CIP? Anyway, I found a ring of wizardry and, with something around 15 spell points to spare, decided to learn both Fireball and Sticky Flame. I'm in Lair:3 without any other spellbooks and I thought Fireball would be good for crowd control since Throw Icicle doesn't work well for swarms at all. I'm now a dual-elementalist and have both Fire and Ice Magic at 10 with Ash. All spells are at 1%, so I'm training Dodging/Shields/Stealth.

I did buy the whip before I realized it was vampiric. I figured a runed demon whip was worth ~250 GP.

EDIT: Found a few more spellbooks, got a few gems like Blink, Repel Missiles, Evaporate/Fulsome and Statue Form. I think this pode is going to make it.

Code:
 Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.11-a0-2798-g21a6711 (tiles) character file.

Sushi the Thaumaturge (Octopode Ice Elementalist)  Turns: 46032, Time: 02:46:07

HP  76/76        AC  8     Str 11      XL: 14   Next:  0%
MP  31/31        EV 15     Int 31      God: Ashenzari [****..]
Gold 1800        SH 22     Dex 16      Spells: 11 memorised,  1 level left

Res.Fire  : + . .   See Invis. : +   a - orc hammer (protect)
Res.Cold  : + . .   Warding    : .   B - +1 shield
Life Prot.: . . .   Conserve   : +   D - +2 wizard hat {Int+3}
Res.Poison: .       Res.Corr.  : .   f - cursed amulet of conservation
Res.Elec. : .       Clarity    : +   u - cursed +6 ring of intelligence
Sust.Abil.: . .     Spirit.Shd : .   A - cursed +3 ring of strength
Res.Mut.  : .       Stasis     : .   G - ring of protection from fire
Res.Rott. : .       Ctrl.Telep.: .   r - cursed ring of sustenance
Saprovore : . . .   Levitation : .   q - cursed ring of wizardry
                    Ctrl.Flight: .   E - +4 ring of dexterity
                                     F - ring of protection from fire
                                     O - ring of ice

@: somewhat resistant to hostile enchantments, very stealthy
A: almost no armour, amphibious, 8 rings, constrict 8, camouflage 1, AC +1
a: Scrying, Renounce Religion

You are on level 2 of the Lair of Beasts.
You worship Ashenzari.
Ashenzari is extremely pleased with you.
You are not hungry.

You have visited 3 branches of the dungeon, and seen 20 of its levels.
You have also visited: Labyrinth.

You have collected 2548 gold pieces.
You have spent 768 gold pieces at shops.

Inventory:

Hand weapons
 a - an uncursed orcish hammer of protection (weapon)
 b - the long sword of Untruth {slice, +Blink +Inv MR}
   (You bought it in a shop on level 11 of the Dungeon)   

It inflicts extra damage upon your enemies.

It increases your resistance to enchantments.
   It lets you turn invisible.
   It lets you blink.
 c - a +2,+2 vampiric demon whip
Armour
 B - a +1 shield (worn)
 D - a +2 wizard hat of intelligence (worn)
Magical devices
 l - a wand of fire {zapped: 1}
 o - a wand of polymorph other (16)
 y - a wand of lightning (5)
 I - a wand of digging {zapped: 2}
Comestibles
 s - 2 bread rations
 Y - a meat ration
Scrolls
 g - 2 scrolls of teleportation
 j - a scroll of identify
 w - a scroll of fear
 S - 2 scrolls of magic mapping
Jewellery
 f - a cursed amulet of conservation (around mantle)
 q - a cursed ring of wizardry (on tentacle)
 r - a cursed ring of sustenance (on tentacle)
 u - a cursed +6 ring of intelligence (left tentacle)
 A - a cursed +3 ring of strength (right tentacle)
 E - a +4 ring of dexterity (on tentacle)
 F - a ring of protection from fire (on tentacle)
 G - a ring of protection from fire (on tentacle)
 O - a ring of ice (on tentacle)
Potions
 d - 2 potions of paralysis
 i - 6 potions of curing
 m - a potion of decay
 t - 4 potions of strong poison
 v - a potion of speed
 z - a potion of degeneration
 K - a potion of restore abilities
 N - a potion of invisibility
 P - 3 potions of poison
 V - a potion of confusion

Skills:
 - Level 4.8 Maces & Flails
 - Level 6.8 Dodging
 - Level 6.3 Stealth
 * Level 8.5 Shields
 - Level 3.2 Traps & Doors
 - Level 10.3 Spellcasting
 - Level 8.0(10.3) Conjurations
 - Level 4.0(6.1) Charms
 - Level 8.0(10.3) Summonings
 * Level 4.9(7.1) Transmutations
 - Level 8.2(10.5) Fire Magic
 - Level 8.2(10.5) Ice Magic
 * Level 2.5(4.4) Earth Magic
 - Level 4.1(6.7) Evocations

You have one spell level left.
You know the following spells:

Your Spells              Type           Power        Failure   Level  Hunger
a - Throw Frost           Conj/Ice       #######      1%          2    None
b - Blink                 Tloc           N/A          3%          2    None
e - Evaporate             Fire/Trmt      ######.      1%          2    None
f - Fireball              Conj/Fire      ######....   1%          5    ##.....
i - Summon Ice Beast      Ice/Summ       ########..   1%          4    None
r - Repel Missiles        Chrm/Air       ######....   1%          2    None
s - Statue Form           Trmt/Erth      #######...   43%         6    #####..
t - Throw Icicle          Conj/Ice       ########.    1%          4    None
z - Fulsome Distillation  Trmt/Necr      N/A          1%          1    None
F - Flame Tongue          Conj/Fire      ######       1%          1    None
O - Ozocubu's Armour      Chrm/Ice       ########..   1%          3    None

Dungeon Overview and Level Annotations

Branches:
Dungeon (13/27)            Temple (1/1) D:6             Orc (0/4) D:8
   Lair (6/8) D:11          Swamp (0/5) Lair:3        Snake (0/5) Lair:4
 Slime: Lair:6-8   

Altars:
Ashenzari
Cheibriados
Elyvilon
Fedhas
Kikubaaqudgha
Makhleb
Nemelex Xobeh
Okawaru
Sif Muna
Trog
Vehumet
Xom
Yredelemnul
Zin
the Shining One

Shops:
D:11: (

Annotations
D:13 Nessos

Innate Abilities, Weirdness & Mutations

You cannot wear most types of armour.
You are amphibious.
You can wear up to eight rings at the same time.*
You can use your tentacles to constrict many enemies at once.*
Your skin changes colour to match your surroundings (Stlth).*
Your rubbery body absorbs attacks (AC +1).*

Message History

e - a ring of protection from fire (on tentacle)
Adjust (i)tems, (s)pells, or (a)bilities?
Adjust which item? (? for menu, Esc to quit)
e - a ring of protection from fire (on tentacle)
Adjust to which letter?  (? for menu, Esc to quit)
G - a ring of protection from fire (on tentacle)
Items here: ))))))))
the war axe of Conformity {antimagic, Int+2}
the dagger of the Clouds {stab, -Cast rF+ Stlth+}
an uncursed executioner's axe of venom; an uncursed bow of flame; an uncursed battleaxe; the long sword "Grim" {slice, rC+}
an uncursed orcish trident of protection
the +0,+3 trident "Zifoogoox" {pierce, Stlth++}
Items here: ????????
a scroll of holy word; a scroll of enchant weapon III; 2 scrolls of identify; a scroll of enchant weapon II; a scroll of amnesia
a scroll of curse weapon; 3 scrolls of teleportation; a scroll of enchant weapon I
Things that are here:
a +1 wizard hat; a +0 buckler; a +0 elven large shield
There is a stone staircase leading up here.

### #.##.....# #.#.
                    ##.##.....###.#f
                  ###f.##......##.P#
                ###.##.#.......#..#.
                #......##...........
                #.########...####)#.
                #.#      ##..####...
                #.#       #.....#.f.
#              ##.#       ##..#.#.#.
##            ##f.##     ##.......#.
.#            #...P#######........f.
###############.............#.......
.......#<...##.([)@###P#.####...>###
.##..#.#.......!?:%}#######....#.# #
.##.#..#...###."/|}##    ##.##...#
.>#.......## #....##     #...#.#.###
..####.########..#####   #...######P
..##P..#  #.........P#   #...##  #..
.......####....#....##   #....# ##..
..##......#...##...(# ####...## #...
##........#.......P.###.#....#####..
####......#.#.....#..........f......
.# #........#...#...................
.# #.............)..................
.# #.......###..#.#.##.###...##f.#..

There are no monsters in sight!

Vanquished Creatures
  A minotaur (Lab)
  Erica (D:12)
  5 hydras
  2 hill giants
  An unseen horror (D:13)
  2 griffons
  5 elephants (Lair:5)
  5 black mambas
  A queen ant (Lair:2)
  3 slime creatures (D:13)
  2 feature mimics
  9 spiny frogs
  5 komodo dragons
  A giant leech (Lair:3)
  7 trolls
  A two-headed ogre (D:11)
  2 basilisks
  7 blink frogs
  A tarantella (Lair:5)
  A wyvern (D:12)
  3 wraiths
  23 yaks
  A wood golem (D:13)
  Grum (D:11)
  A merfolk (D:7)
  2 fire drakes
  3 hippogriffs
  A redback (Lair:5)
  6 war dogs
  A swamp worm (Lair:3)
  A mottled dragon (D:12)
  A necrophage (D:11)
  3 sky beasts
  15 soldier ants
  6 orc warriors
  A yellow wasp (D:10)
  2 phantoms
  4 ogres
  2 ice beasts (D:10)
  A yak zombie (D:13)
  A warg (D:7)
  6 crocodiles
  A wolf (Lair:3)
  Sigmund (D:6)
  3 giant slugs
  3 big kobolds
  6 centaurs
  21 giant frogs
  2 brain worms
  A basilisk zombie (D:10)
  A water moccasin zombie (D:9)
  4 agate snails
  2 basilisk skeletons
  A water moccasin skeleton (D:7)
  11 water moccasins
  5 wights
  11 killer bees
  2 jellyfish (Lair:1)
  2 eyes of draining
  A killer bee zombie (D:9)
  An electric eel (Lair:1)
  9 crimson imps
  A quasit (D:8)
  4 big fish
  2 big kobold skeletons
  2 hound zombies
  A goliath beetle (D:11)
  4 shadows
  10 hounds
  12 iguanas
  12 orc priests
  4 hound skeletons
  7 scorpions
  3 jellies
  11 orc wizards
  5 porcupines
  A worker ant zombie (D:6)
  41 worker ants
  5 sheep (Lair:1)
  2 mummies (D:11)
  22 adders
  3 gnolls (Lair:1)
  30 green rats
  An iguana zombie (D:8)
  A giant centipede zombie (D:10)
  3 giant centipedes
  An iguana skeleton (D:7)
  2 giant mites
  2 statues (D:6)
  6 worms
  3 giant eyeballs
  7 giant geckos
  3 oozes
  73 orcs
  19 bats
  12 giant cockroaches
  19 hobgoblins
  30 jackals
  A giant newt (D:1)
  2 giant spores
  15 goblins
  A hobgoblin skeleton (D:5)
  27 kobolds
  A kobold skeleton (D:4)
  An orc skeleton (D:6)
  8 quokkas
  21 rats
  4 ballistomycetes
  7 fungi
  7 plants
  10 toadstools
704 creatures vanquished.

Vanquished Creatures (collateral kills)
  Urug (D:11)
  Joseph (D:10)
  A rock worm (D:10)
  Menkaure (D:5)
  A rock worm zombie (D:12)
  A killer bee (D:12)
  2 jellyfish (Lair:1)
  3 electric eels (Lair:1)
  A worker ant zombie (D:7)
  An adder (D:11)
  2 orcs
15 creatures vanquished.

Vanquished Creatures (others)
  34 ice beasts
  A giant frog (D:10)
  A basilisk skeleton (D:12)
  An adder (Lair:3)
  A green rat (Lair:4)
  2 orcs
  A goblin (D:4)
  A hobgoblin (D:4)
  4 jackals
  A quokka (Lair:3)
  A giant newt (D:1)
  5 kobolds
  A fungus (Lair:5)
  38 toadstools
92 creatures vanquished.

Grand Total: 811 creatures vanquished

Notes
Turn   | Place    | Note
--------------------------------------------------------------
     0 | D:1      | Sushi, the Octopode Ice Elementalist, began the quest for the Orb.
     0 | D:1      | Reached XP level 1. HP: 11/11 MP: 3/3
   434 | D:1      | Reached XP level 2. HP: 9/17 MP: 2/4
   597 | D:1      | Learned a level 2 spell: Throw Frost
  1826 | D:2      | Found a shattered altar of Ashenzari.
  1834 | D:2      | Became a worshipper of Ashenzari the Shackled
  2074 | D:1      | Reached XP level 3. HP: 2/21 MP: 1/6
  2449 | D:2      | Learned a level 3 spell: Ozocubu's Armour
  2723 | D:2      | Found a basalt altar of Yredelemnul.
  3290 | D:2      | Found an iron altar of Okawaru.
  4045 | D:3      | Reached XP level 4. HP: 25/27 MP: 6/8
  5300 | D:4      | Reached XP level 5. HP: 27/31 MP: 7/10
  5791 | D:4      | Reached skill level 4 in Ice Magic
  5803 | D:4      | Learned a level 4 spell: Throw Icicle
  6580 | D:5      | Entered Level 5 of the Dungeon
  6598 | D:5      | Noticed Menkaure
  6788 | D:5      | Found an ancient bone altar of Kikubaaqudgha.
  7466 | D:6      | Reached XP level 6. HP: 25/36 MP: 5/13
  7585 | D:6      | Noticed an ogre
  7812 | D:6      | Noticed Sigmund
  8509 | D:6      | Reached XP level 7. HP: 30/41 MP: 8/16
  8522 | D:6      | Learned a level 4 spell: Summon Ice Beast
  8600 | D:6      | Found a staircase to the Ecumenical Temple.
  8645 | D:6      | Reached skill level 1 in Summonings
  8848 | Temple   | Entered the Ecumenical Temple
  9283 | D:6      | Reached skill level 5 in Ice Magic
  9429 | D:6      | Found a snail-covered altar of Cheibriados.
  9935 | D:6      | Killed an ogre
  9935 | D:6      | Reached XP level 8. HP: 46/46 MP: 7/18
 10075 | D:6      | Noticed a phantom
 10078 | D:6      | Reached skill level 5 in Conjurations
 10093 | D:6      | Killed a phantom
 10465 | D:7      | Reached skill level 1 in Charms
 11120 | D:7      | Reached XP level 9. HP: 51/51 MP: 14/19
 11852 | D:7      | Reached skill level 5 in Summonings
 12052 | D:7      | Reached skill level 6 in Ice Magic
 12959 | D:8      | Got the trident "Zifoogoox" {pierce, Stlth++}
 12963 | D:8      | Identified the +0,+3 trident "Zifoogoox" {pierce, Stlth++} (You found it on level 8 of the Dungeon)
 14952 | D:8      | Found a staircase to the Orcish Mines.
 15883 | D:9      | Found a deep blue altar of Sif Muna.
 16310 | D:9      | Paralysed by a giant eyeball for 4 turns
 16978 | D:10     | Entered Level 10 of the Dungeon
 17068 | D:10     | Reached XP level 10. HP: 31/56 MP: 15/20
 17890 | D:10     | Reached skill level 7 in Ice Magic
 18337 | D:10     | Noticed Joseph
 19440 | D:10     | Reached skill level 5 in Spellcasting
 20389 | D:10     | Identified a scroll of acquirement
 21057 | D:10     | Killed Joseph
 21399 | D:11     | Reached skill level 8 in Ice Magic
 21951 | D:11     | Noticed Urug
 22096 | D:11     | Noticed a hill giant
 22174 | D:11     | Found Fatecsyosh's Antique Weapon Boutique.
 22305 | D:11     | Reached XP level 11. HP: 61/61 MP: 16/25
 22361 | D:11     | Noticed Grum
 22364 | D:11     | Bought a runed demon whip for 312 gold pieces
 22364 | D:11     | Bought a crystal long sword for 228 gold pieces
 22364 | D:11     | Bought a bloodstained long sword for 228 gold pieces
 23582 | D:12     | Reached skill level 1 in Shields
 23582 | D:12     | Reached skill level 1 in Evocations
 24607 | D:12     | Noticed Erica
 24614 | D:12     | Killed Erica
 24622 | D:12     | Acquired Ashenzari's first power
 25359 | D:12     | Reached skill level 9 in Spellcasting
 25486 | D:12     | Learned a level 5 spell: Fireball
 25713 | D:11     | Reached skill level 1 in Fire Magic
 26198 | D:13     | Killed an unseen horror
 26585 | D:13     | Learned a level 4 spell: Sticky Flame
 26801 | D:13     | Noticed a hill giant
 26813 | D:13     | Killed a hill giant
 26947 | D:13     | Noticed Nessos
 27433 | D:13     | Reached XP level 12. HP: 66/66 MP: 17/29
 27625 | D:11     | Killed a hill giant
 27625 | D:11     | Reached skill level 5 in Fire Magic
 27799 | D:11     | Reached skill level 10 in Spellcasting
 28156 | D:11     | Found a staircase to the Lair.
 29356 | D:11     | Learned a level 1 spell: Flame Tongue
 30045 | D:6      | Killed Sigmund
 30723 | D:5      | Killed Menkaure
 31929 | D:11     | Killed Urug
 32306 | D:11     | Killed Grum
 32382 | Lair:1   | Entered Level 1 of the Lair of Beasts
 34214 | Lair:2   | Acquired Ashenzari's second power
 34260 | Lair:2   | Noticed a seven-headed hydra
 34402 | Lair:2   | Killed a seven-headed hydra
 35830 | Lair:2   | Reached skill level 5 in Shields
 37047 | Lair:3   | Noticed a five-headed hydra
 37068 | Lair:3   | Killed a five-headed hydra
 37068 | Lair:3   | Reached XP level 13. HP: 71/71 MP: 20/30
 37367 | Lair:3   | Found a staircase to the Swamp.
 37461 | Lair:3   | Reached skill level 1 in Maces & Flails
 38178 | Lair:3   | Noticed a four-headed hydra
 38190 | Lair:3   | Killed a four-headed hydra
 38190 | Lair:3   | Reached skill level 5 in Dodging
 38190 | Lair:3   | Reached skill level 1 in Traps & Doors
 38357 | Lair:3   | Noticed a five-headed hydra
 38361 | Lair:3   | HP: 3/71 [five-headed hydra (11)]
 38363 | Lair:3   | Killed a five-headed hydra
 39913 | Lair:4   | Reached skill level 5 in Stealth
 40098 | Lair:4   | Learned a level 1 spell: Fulsome Distillation
 40101 | Lair:4   | Learned a level 2 spell: Evaporate
 41451 | Lair:4   | Found a white marble altar of Elyvilon.
 41451 | Lair:4   | Found a glowing golden altar of the Shining One.
 41451 | Lair:4   | Found a glowing silver altar of Zin.
 42040 | Lair:4   | Found a staircase to the Snake Pit.
 42399 | Lair:5   | Found a labyrinth entrance.
 42732 | Lab      | Entered a labyrinth
 42945 | Lab      | Acquired Ashenzari's third power
 43024 | Lab      | Noticed a minotaur
 43040 | Lab      | Killed a minotaur
 43054 | Lab      | Got a graven book
 43054 | Lab      | Got an antique book
 43055 | Lab      | Got the dagger of the Clouds {stab, -Cast rF+ Stlth+}
 43057 | Lab      | Identified Qacwyir's Volume of Transmutation and Earth (You found it in a labyrinth)
 43057 | Lab      | Identified the Grimoire of Noxious Darkness (You found it in a labyrinth)
 43311 | Lair:5   | Got the war axe of Conformity {antimagic, Int+2}
 43339 | Lair:5   | Reached skill level 1 in Transmutations
 43711 | Lair:5   | Noticed a four-headed hydra
 43717 | Lair:5   | Killed a four-headed hydra
 44413 | Lair:2   | Learned a level 6 spell: Statue Form
 44663 | Lair:6   | Reached skill level 1 in Earth Magic
 45807 | Lair:6   | Reached XP level 14. HP: 76/76 MP: 25/31
 46016 | Lair:2   | Learned a level 2 spell: Blink
 46019 | Lair:2   | Learned a level 2 spell: Repel Missiles

Swamp Slogger

Post Sunday, 15th July 2012, 20:04

YASD to Cerebov.

This was a great Octopode run. The vampiric demon whip + statue form made all the difference in the world, letting me be a bit of a melee octopode. I had a lot of trouble with Pan, however. I cleared as much of the game as I could, everything but Pan, the Tomb and Hell. I found SIX Grand Grimoires and ZERO Books of Annihilations. Sigh. So much for Ice Storm. I did have Shatter but it didn't work quite as well as I had anticipated. I killed one Pan Lord with great difficulty (the one with Executioners) and made a few mistakes on Cerebov. Do you ever have one of those moments where you *thought* you pushed the look button and then moved the cursor, when in reality you missed the look button and moved yourself? Two moves got me hit with Iron Shot, Fire Storm, and placed me next to Cerebov with something under 20 HP. I pulled all the stops, tried to Blink/Teleport away..... no luck. DEATH.

Now I see from other posts that I could have used Shatter to steal the rune from behind Cerebov's back. :roll:

Considering that I had six runes and cleared Zot:5, I'm mentally considering this a win. At least, enough of a good run to let Octopode rest in peace for the moment as I go on to other things. ;)

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice