Enchanting ammo

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Sunday, 6th February 2011, 02:34

Enchanting ammo

how does one go about enchanting ammo? It requires you to equip a weapon, but when you have one equipped, the enchantment works on the weapon and not on the ammo.

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 6th February 2011, 02:53

Re: Enchanting ammo

Press (w)ield, then * and select the ammo.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Sunday, 6th February 2011, 03:58

ah ic thank you. I must say that is kinda tricky and I wouldnt have figured that out myself

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 7th February 2011, 00:48

When would you guys recommend enchanting ammo? For example, you're playing a MDHu with a crossbow and some bolts. Do you spend your scrolls on enchanting the crossbow (assuming you found a branded one)? Or do you use it on ammo, and if so, do you wait for a steel/branded set or just do it on a large stack of regular bolts? Also, does enchanting ammo have the same chance as weapons do to fail enchantment after +3?
TrCK:
Xom grants you an implement of some kind.
_Something appears at your feet!
4790 gold pieces {god gift}.

DsAr:
You blink. You feel slightly more hungry. Prince Ribbit hits you. You die...
"Hey, that's my toy!"
Xom revives you!

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 7th February 2011, 02:21

I save up plain (+0) ammo, until I have a huge stack (500+). Then, I enchant them all as high as possible. If I find steel ammo I'll save it for enchanting later. I don't usually enchant launchers, since I expect to find a decent randart eventually.

Mines Malingerer

Post Monday, 7th February 2011, 02:37

Lucy's got it. A great place to get ammo is the Vault and Elven Halls. You should be able to clear Elves 1-6 around XL 12-14 to have a sweet stack of ammo along with worshiping Trog, who also takes care of the launcher for you.

Okawaru is okay, but Trog's gifts are all weapons and ammo. I usually end up with stacks of 100s of arrows/bolts in my stash by the endgame.
Arsenal FC...I'm a gooner.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice