How much +dam is better than +acc?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Friday, 29th June 2012, 15:37

How much +dam is better than +acc?

A little question has just come to my mind: is there any situation where a slaying bonus to accuracy is better than one to damage? Hitting everytime harder is surely better, but decreasing the frequency of misses could increase the final damage output more than a simple +dam bonus.
Is there a general rule (or at least, a rule of thumb) to decide what prefer?

Specifically, this question has risen after my MiBe has found the Fencer's Gloves (+8 acc) while wearing a randart gloves with +3dam and wielding a +1,+6 executioner's axe of freezing. Considering he has 27 axes, 17 fighting, what should he wear?

If I add that he also wear a randart plate armour with +6 dam and a +0, +5 ring of slaying (yes, he's a tab-killing machine :D), would your advice change?
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 29th June 2012, 15:52

Re: How much +dam is better than +acc?

I'd take the fencer's gloves for the boost to EV and Dex (and possibly AC) over +3 Dam.

Eringya's Employee

Post Friday, 29th June 2012, 19:06

I'd definitely use the fencer's gloves for the reasons BlackSheep mentioned above and more EV & Dex is good on a minotaur cause retaliatory headbutt reasons. The +8 to accuracy is great when you're using a big weapon with lots of penalties to accuracy and also wearing something like CP or GDA. Once I had a HoHe with a +8 +8 holy exec axe and a GDA, that couldn't even touch Cerebov because of all the minus to accuracy, I reckon.

I could be very very wrong though. Perhaps one of the blue boys could shed some light on the mysteries of to-hit calculations.

Also, I saw your minotaur today on webtiles. :P Was going pretty nicely.
MuCK;
  Code:
612 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Slain by a gnoll

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 29th June 2012, 19:10

In theory, +ACC have multiplicative effect on your damage per AUT, while +DAM only additive. In practice, however, +DAM seems better. I hope someone with a deeper knowledge of how it all actually works will weigh in.

Oh and after slaying nerf, +EV >>> slaying for most characters.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 29th June 2012, 19:36

It depends way too much on what you're trying to hit. +8acc is a freaking ginormous bonus, +3dam not so much. Your accuracy roll is influenced by stats, fighting, weapon skill, weapon base type, weapon accuracy enchantment, and an assortment of less common factors. No matter how many bonuses you have stacked, though, most of them boil down to rolling a single die with a larger number of sides. You can never eliminate the chance to roll a natural 1.

On the monster side of the equation, the evasion rolls that oppose your accuracy roll are going to be all over the map. A stone giant has a pathetic 4EV, so even without accuracy penalties you have to roll below that to even have a chance of missing. An orc caster has 10EV, respectable. The A-class monsters in the holy Pan level all have 20EV, so get ready to miss a lot even if you've maxed out your combat skills.

An accuracy bonus will do almost nothing to help with the stone giant, but that silver star spamming at you is something you want to shut down as quickly as possible.

+8 accuracy on an artefact is, if I understand correctly, just under one third of the average accuracy bonus you get from maxed-out fighting plus maxed-out weapon skill combined.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Friday, 29th June 2012, 20:42

TehDruid wrote:Also, I saw your minotaur today on webtiles. :P Was going pretty nicely.

Yup, but MiBe is a combo which is guaranteed to going nicely :D

Anyway thaks for the answers, they'll be useful in the future - for this specific I'm not sure I need to use the fencer's gloves, as I've already cleared the spriggans's forest quickly and quite easily (and they're among the fastest bastards in the dungeon) and with 38ac /28 ev I don't desperately need a +3ev bonus.

Oh, just for the record: I've found another +6/+7 ring of slaying in V:8 :twisted: ! I suppose my aim is almost perfect now :lol: - and, yes, gentleman, I have +21 dam bonus :D
Considering I'll never enjoy a freaking bonus like this again, I'm so tempted to do extended (if I don't die in Shoals, no damned +lev in all game :cry: ), but I'm streaking... Decisions, decisions, i hate them! :lol:

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 30th June 2012, 07:46

nago wrote:
TehDruid wrote:Also, I saw your minotaur today on webtiles. :P Was going pretty nicely.

Yup, but MiBe is a combo which is guaranteed to going nicely :D

Anyway thaks for the answers, they'll be useful in the future - for this specific I'm not sure I need to use the fencer's gloves, as I've already cleared the spriggans's forest quickly and quite easily (and they're among the fastest bastards in the dungeon) and with 38ac /28 ev I don't desperately need a +3ev bonus.

Oh, just for the record: I've found another +6/+7 ring of slaying in V:8 :twisted: ! I suppose my aim is almost perfect now :lol: - and, yes, gentleman, I have +21 dam bonus :D
Considering I'll never enjoy a freaking bonus like this again, I'm so tempted to do extended (if I don't die in Shoals, no damned +lev in all game :cry: ), but I'm streaking... Decisions, decisions, i hate them! :lol:

Extended isn't that much of a risk. Especially since your char sounds like the kind of char who can do it with an antimagic executioner's axe and a holy executioner's axe and does enough damage to consistently produce !!!! messages if !!!! messages existed.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Saturday, 30th June 2012, 22:42

cerebovssquire wrote:Extended isn't that much of a risk. Especially since your char sounds like the kind of char who can do it with an antimagic executioner's axe and a holy executioner's axe and does enough damage to consistently produce !!!! messages if !!!! messages existed.

I've just won with 15 runes and you were obliviously right: extended hasn't been a risk (except, Tomb, which has been annoying with only 4 int), but a piece of cake. More than !!!message, I'd like the introduction of a irresistible aura of fear after reaching enough +dam. Something like: Cerebov nervously looks at your steaming axe and at your bloodthirsty face, then he throws away the fiery rune, screaming : "not today, not for my life! Runs to the hills, run for your lives!" :lol:

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice