Okawaru Changes

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Tuesday, 26th June 2012, 22:06

Okawaru Changes

Hey, I just read that Okawaru doesn't gift anymore in the mines ... this is good to know, and I didn't.

Where can I read about such changes as they happen? The commit logs are too noisy, and it's hard to scan for relatively important changes like this.

If there's not a handy place to point me toward, can someone summarize the okawaru changes for my benefit? Thanks!

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 26th June 2012, 22:15

Re: Okawaru Changes

I think you have to just grin and bear the hundreds of spammy commits if you want to know what's going on.

I know nothing about the Oku changes... because I'm not patient enough to read the commits! So there.
Jabberwocky wrote:You came back on the forums. Everything in the corner has been worse since 11/4/12. It got better when you left, but now it's bad again.

"You cannot grasp the true form of Giygas's attack!"

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 26th June 2012, 22:35

Okawaru only gives decent piety for sacrificing the corpses of non-popcorn, now. You cant just slay a thousand orcs and prepare for a forecast of sunny with a chance of artifact showers.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Tuesday, 26th June 2012, 22:43

This removes an interesting tactical option from the game now. I rarely ever enter the orcish mines before having completed the lair, due to danger. But sometimes, if I hadn't yet found a decent weapon, and was a follower of Okawaru, I'd take my chances and enter the mines hoping to clear some fodder to get a relatively early gift, or build up my piety so that I could get earlier access to haste.

Not a big deal I guess, but I never found Okawaru's gifts to be too frequent, even with an amulet of faith.

Sorry if this thread turns into a design debate, I just wanted to bring that up.

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 26th June 2012, 23:34

I agree, Okawaru didn't really need the nerf, but I think it was more to do with "This isn't how Okawaru is intended to be" then "He is too powerful.". It does help separate him from Trog a little.

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 27th June 2012, 00:34

I play Oka practically every game (#1 best god) and the change is so minor that you may not even notice. New Oka gives less piety for killing weak dudes, and more for killing strong dudes. In a typical game's progression (D > Lair > Orc > D > Vaults/Crypt > D > Rune Branches / Elf > Zot) the only places this affects are Orc and Elf1-3, where you shouldn't even need heroism/finesse in the first place.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 27th June 2012, 02:57

I think you overall get more piety unless maybe you are a race with a really good xp apt.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 27th June 2012, 04:23

Moose wrote:This removes an interesting tactical option from the game now.

I think possibly most of the words in this sentence are being misused.
mikee_ has won 166 times in 396 games (41.92%): 4xDSFi 4xMDFi 3xDDCK 3xDDEE 3xHOPr 2xDDHe 2xDDNe 2xDSBe 2xKeAE 2xMfCr 2xMfSt 2xMiAr 2xMiBe 2xNaTm 1xCeAr 1xCeAs 1xCeBe 1xCeEn 1xCeFE 1xCePa 1xCeTm 1xCeWz 1xDDAs 1xDDCr 1xDDHu 1xDDTm 1xDENe 1xDEWz

For this message the author mikee has received thanks: 3
ebarrett, Galefury, njvack

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice