Advice on First Possible Success

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Temple Termagant

Post Monday, 21st March 2011, 23:38

Advice on First Possible Success

So, I'm looking at a character that I think could go all the way (my second great character, so I'm somewhat excited). The problem is that I don't know where to go next. I've cleared Lair and Orcish Mines, but I don't know if I should go through one of the Lair Sub-dungeons or just head further down into the dungeon. Any advice? I'm a SpBe, if that helps at all.

Snake Sneak

Post Monday, 21st March 2011, 23:51

Re: Advice on First Possible Success

I'd check out swamp, or snake (if you have poison resistance). Otherwise, just poke down through the dungeon. Just be super careful not to poke into the bottom floors of the subbranches. The difficulty takes a big running leap from the previous floors. Shit be scary as hell.

Also, posts like this should probably go in the YASD/YAVP/CIP forum. They should also probably change the name of said forum to actually include CIPs so more folks notice that.
Last edited by Megabass on Monday, 21st March 2011, 23:52, edited 1 time in total.
The green ugly thing basks in the mutagenic energy from your post and changes!

Temple Termagant

Post Monday, 21st March 2011, 23:52

All right, thanks for the advice. I'll also keep that in mind if I need to post something like this again.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Tuesday, 22nd March 2011, 02:37

spbe should do hive after orc for piety and food.
mikee_ has won 166 times in 396 games (41.92%): 4xDSFi 4xMDFi 3xDDCK 3xDDEE 3xHOPr 2xDDHe 2xDDNe 2xDSBe 2xKeAE 2xMfCr 2xMfSt 2xMiAr 2xMiBe 2xNaTm 1xCeAr 1xCeAs 1xCeBe 1xCeEn 1xCeFE 1xCePa 1xCeTm 1xCeWz 1xDDAs 1xDDCr 1xDDHu 1xDDTm 1xDENe 1xDEWz

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 22nd March 2011, 08:34

mikee wrote:spbe should do hive after orc for piety and food.

IMHO, if a SpBe should not touch Orc before actually going to Elven Halls.
Reasons? Exactly those you mentioned. These two branches are excellent piety boosts when exhausted after heavy BIA use. No need to blow that piety too early, SpBe tends to receive gifts before actually finding the staircase to Orc.
The same goes for Hive. Unless your piety dropped below BIA availability, and/or your need for food is really dire, there's little reason to enter.
... and forgive us our YASDs,
As we forgive our developers,
And lead us not into the Abyss,
But deliver us from Sigmund,
For Thine is the Roguelike,
the Orb and the Victory,
now and forever.

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 22nd March 2011, 08:58

Personally, I never had a piety problem with SpBe's, you don't need to leave branches full of squishies for later use unless you plan on spamming BIA through Zot. And if you ever do need a piety shot, you can take a short dip into the abyss (yeah, I know conventional wisdom is the abyss is a resource drain, but for a SpBe of sufficient strength, it's free food and piety).

Also, TC, if you want specific advice, a char dump helps. Sure, we can say go lair hive swamp orc snake vaults elf zot or whatever, but branch order can be highly subjective depending on build and finds.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Tuesday, 22nd March 2011, 09:17

I've never had problems with piety on any berserker (including mube), and I think even a newer player who might use bia a lot would still benefit more from a possible weapon upgrade early on. Maybe our experiences differ and I'm just greedy about weapons, who knows... but I still think doing hive as soon as you find it will significantly increase your chance of surviving until mid/late game.
mikee_ has won 166 times in 396 games (41.92%): 4xDSFi 4xMDFi 3xDDCK 3xDDEE 3xHOPr 2xDDHe 2xDDNe 2xDSBe 2xKeAE 2xMfCr 2xMfSt 2xMiAr 2xMiBe 2xNaTm 1xCeAr 1xCeAs 1xCeBe 1xCeEn 1xCeFE 1xCePa 1xCeTm 1xCeWz 1xDDAs 1xDDCr 1xDDHu 1xDDTm 1xDENe 1xDEWz

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 22nd March 2011, 09:36

The weapon upgrade point is perfectly valid for Orc, but, as i usually do Lair first, I tend to have a really decent weapon before Hive. Also, food is rarely a problem ever since you find your first bee room. Your mileage may vary, and perhaps it does.

Or I just lucked out with those katana gifts around D:8 ;).
... and forgive us our YASDs,
As we forgive our developers,
And lead us not into the Abyss,
But deliver us from Sigmund,
For Thine is the Roguelike,
the Orb and the Victory,
now and forever.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice