Item name colours

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 9th February 2011, 06:14

Item name colours

Is there one place I can go to find out what the various item name colour codings mean?

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 9th February 2011, 09:42

Re: Item name colours

Yes there is: The source code!
Joke aside, this question comes very often. Let's try to answer it, and then maybe we'll make a sticky thread. Or even better, we'll add the info to the game documentation.

weapon colour in stats area:
Bow : blue
crossbow: lightblue
sling : brown

stones, sling bullets, large rocks: brown
arrows : blue
needles : white
bolt : lightblue
darts : cyan
javelin : red
throwing net : darkgrey

short blades : cyan
long blades : lightcyan
axes : dark grey
M&F : light grey
polearms : red
staves : green

in inventory screen:
god hates : red
emergency: yellow
good : cyan
dangerous : magenta
bad: red
useless : dark grey
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

For this message the author galehar has received thanks: 4
danr, Grimm, mageykun, starless

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 9th February 2011, 09:56

Well I'll be. I had assumed that the colours in the stats area indicated some sort of usefulness, as they do in the inv screen.

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 9th February 2011, 10:23

...and I always wondered why every god hates javelins.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 9th February 2011, 10:27

the weapon colours in the stats area make sense for console players, because it's the glyph colour when the item is on the ground and they are used to it. For tiles players, it's just confusing.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 9th February 2011, 10:43

galehar wrote:the weapon colours in the stats area make sense for console players, because it's the glyph colour when the item is on the ground and they are used to it. For tiles players, it's just confusing.

Would it be more confusing if we use different colour schemes for console and tiles?
Please report bugs to Crawl's bug tracker, and leave feedback on the development wiki. Thank you!

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 9th February 2011, 11:16

jpeg wrote:
galehar wrote:the weapon colours in the stats area make sense for console players, because it's the glyph colour when the item is on the ground and they are used to it. For tiles players, it's just confusing.

Would it be more confusing if we use different colour schemes for console and tiles?

Possibly. What's really confusing is that the same item is displayed in different colours depending on which menu you're looking at it. We'll have to ask console players if there's actually any value in using the base item colour in the stats area. If there isn't, then I suggest the stats area (and the % screen) use the same colours as the inventory.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 9th February 2011, 11:25

I once made a proposal (sorry no time to dig it up from the wiki right now, but I can if you're interested) to use colours in the Weapon/Quiver slot better: for ego rather than weapon type.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 9th February 2011, 15:06

galehar wrote:Possibly. What's really confusing is that the same item is displayed in different colours depending on which menu you're looking at it. We'll have to ask console players if there's actually any value in using the base item colour in the stats area. If there isn't, then I suggest the stats area (and the % screen) use the same colours as the inventory.

Console players frequently comment about this in IRC as well ("why is my wielded weapon grey/red/whatever? does that mean it's a bad weapon to use?"). I don't think glyph colour should have anything to do with it, would be much clearer if it used the same colours as the inventory everywhere.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice