God choice for Spriggan Arcane Marksman

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 12th June 2012, 14:56

God choice for Spriggan Arcane Marksman

So my SpAM has found the temple and is wondering which god to follow. They're not all there, so the ones I'm considering:

Kiku - just because I love vampiric draining and the chance of pain brand
Vehumet - For some nice conjurations to blow up inner-flamed monsters more effectively than I can with my sling
Sif Muna - for all that spellcasting goodness

I'm at XL 7, have 9 in spellcasting (I've been prioritizing that to get my spell hunger down because of spriggan food issues). I also just took a short sword of electrocution off a Kobold on D:5.

I'm thinking Vehumet. The ability to kill things at a distance goes really nicely with inner flame.

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 12th June 2012, 15:40

Re: God choice for Spriggan Arcane Marksman

As an AM, don't you already have a way to kill things at a distance?

I'd probably go Okie since you already have a decent selection of spells and finesse + heroism will turn your AM into a slinging monster, plus you know you'll never run out of bullets. Another good option is someone who gives you allies to tie up things in melee while you portal projectile them, so either Kiku for zombie hoard or Nemelex for summoning decks plus all the other goodies. I suppose Yred would also be an OK choice for minions.

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 12th June 2012, 16:30

My sling is not quite cutting it, as I'm running out of bullets. Unfortunately there's no Okie altar in the temple. I guess I can keep looking.

Actually, I'm getting a bit frustrated with the whole maneuvering game of Inner Flame.

Maybe Kiku would be a good option. Can you Inner Flame your own minions and then send them off Kamikaze style?

For this message the author danr has received thanks:
tcjsavannah

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 12th June 2012, 16:34

danr wrote:My sling is not quite cutting it, as I'm running out of bullets. Unfortunately there's no Okie altar in the temple. I guess I can keep looking.

Actually, I'm getting a bit frustrated with the whole maneuvering game of Inner Flame.

Maybe Kiku would be a good option. Can you Inner Flame your own minions and then send them off Kamikaze style?

If you don't plan to keep using inner flame, have you considered Fedhas?

While inner flame + fedhas is not something that would work well, your regular firing from the sling, as well as spells through the plants you can grow is always useful, and with patience, you can get some interesting allies. Depends how careful you think you'll be able to be with food though, since the same fruits you would need for the good Fedhas stuff are your primary nutrition source.
The above post is for entertainment purposes only. If you think anything I ever say is backed by fact, or if you cite things I've said in any argument ever, you are insane.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Tuesday, 12th June 2012, 16:36

danr wrote:Maybe Kiku would be a good option. Can you Inner Flame your own minions and then send them off Kamikaze style?

In my experience, they become hostile if you inner flame them while enslaved/summoned. However if you inner flame, then enslave, then order you can get them to kamikaze. Problem is that's three turns for (essentially) a high powered fireball/ring of flames.
  Code:
Jory screams, "No, no!" before exploding into a cloud of blood!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 12th June 2012, 16:40

You can inner flame zombies because they are zombies.

Really the best use for inner flame though is generally to ignore that it exists and instead use the actually good spells in your spellbook (enslave/cause fear).

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 12th June 2012, 18:04

crate wrote:You can inner flame zombies because they are zombies.

Really the best use for inner flame though is generally to ignore that it exists and instead use the actually good spells in your spellbook (enslave/cause fear).

Inner flame is great for sacrificing the pre-enslaved. It works quite well in Orc.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 12th June 2012, 21:16

I'm just experimenting with it again now with an SpEn who found the book of debilitations. I do see the issue with it taking a lot of turns, especially if you add in one or two steps to receive corpses, animate dead and/or animate skeleton.

However, you do get a lot of bang for your buck:
- Casting inner flame - okay, this does nothing yet
- Enslaving - this turns the lead orc to your side. So now already you have a bit more breathing room
- This orc now acts as a roadblock, and may slow down the others
- Then he blows up, causing decent damage to a few other monsters
- Finally, it leaves a raging inferno which is like conjure flame but in a 9x9 area, causing further damage to survivors, and giving you instant but temporary corners to melee around. If done near water it also creates steam.

I think the payoff is pretty decent, and it can definitely be fun gameplay.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 12th June 2012, 21:46

Okawaru for the ammo
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 15th June 2012, 20:08

You cannot have the inner flame + ensalve fun with Oka!

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 16th June 2012, 04:58

ldierk wrote:You cannot have the inner flame + ensalve fun with Oka!

Yes you can, once every ~50,000 turns

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice