Ds mutations

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Mines Malingerer

Post Sunday, 10th June 2012, 14:01

Ds mutations

After playing a lot of Ds characters, I'm starting to wonder how their mutations work. Are they totally random, like the normal good\bad mutations? Or are they determined even before you level up?
I wanted to play with the nightstalker mut, but so far I tried leveling 4 characters and they all got demonic guardian instead....

Lair Larrikin

Post Sunday, 10th June 2012, 14:45

Re: Ds mutations

Mines Malingerer

Post Sunday, 10th June 2012, 16:09

Ah nice, so according to the info in that link, demonic guardian is a tier 2 facet and so is nightstalker, and that will give me the chance to still get the latter some time in the future.
But I'm still curious to know whether or not these Ds mutations are already determined once you create a new character, or if they are randomly acquired upon level up ( how I imagine it to be ).

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 10th June 2012, 16:22

A quick combination of save scumming and wizmode testing shows that mutations seem to be decided at character creation. Probably explicitly to prevent people from trying to scum for better mutations at lower levels. :p (Although you still could, I suppose- you'd just have to do all the testing and selection up front).

Kind of makes sense flavor-wise, if the mutations are genetic after all.

For this message the author mageykun has received thanks:
Griever7x

Mines Malingerer

Post Sunday, 10th June 2012, 16:36

Ah, that is exactly what I wanted to know, thanks magekyun. Afterall, if they'd let it be scummable, it wouldn't be that different from the normal mutations ( which can be pretty much spammed untill you get only good ones ).
Guess I'll just stick to my last Ds, found a labyrinth with an abyss gate in it :o

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice