Playing faster (real time, not turns)

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 5th June 2012, 14:01

Playing faster (real time, not turns)

How do you do it?

I'm not so concerned with minimizing turn count because I don't think my turn counts are that high for my end-game characters. And yes, I know that turn count, not elapsed time is what affects score. What I do want to know is how players are able to allrune in the time it takes me to get a character to Zot. My win in the tourney was a 4 runer that took almost 20 hours. I just splatted a MiBe in hells that was over 18.5 hours. My local games are worse - I think my 5 rune local win on an SEEE took like 18 hours, an MdBe splatted in Zot at ~14 hours and a DEFE splatted in Geh at well over a day's worth of play. I had always thought the length of my local games was due to leaving them running while making dinner and the like, but at some point, I have to admit that it's just me.

The only reason I care is because I'd like to not spend 15 hours getting to the end game to splat a character if I can spend that time getting two characters to splat in the hells :lol:.

So what tips do you guys have to play faster?

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 5th June 2012, 14:31

Re: Playing faster (real time, not turns)

<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

For this message the author galehar has received thanks:
rebthor

Eringya's Employee

Post Tuesday, 5th June 2012, 14:34

When I play online I lag quite a bit, which makes my games significantly slower overall. My fastest win so far has been a local game that took about 3.5 hours with a Dragon Form Draconian Monk of Ashenzari (got 1% fail in the mid game with gourmand amulet, so hunger wasn't an issue). My first win which was offline, took me about 9 (HOFi) if i remember correctly, but that's mostly due tot he fact that I didn't know of the TAB button back then, lol. My first and only 15 rune win (MiMo of TSO/Zin online) took me almost 10 hours (I did ninja 2 hell runes at least I think).

I have the habit to auto explore every level entirely even if the exp isn't worth it, which takes quite a bit of time. I should stop doing that.
MuCK;
  Code:
612 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Slain by a gnoll

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 5th June 2012, 14:51

galehar wrote:https://crawl.develz.org/tavern/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2423

The first response was autoexplore, autotravel and autofight. I do all those things already. My delays are set to -1.

I think I need to work on assessing threats better perhaps so that I don't need to spend time figuring out who or what to take out first.

Swamp Slogger

Post Tuesday, 5th June 2012, 17:18

You probably do not tab vigorously enough (for characters using weapons at least.), I usually only stop tabbing when there is mortal peril on a non tourney character.

I also often skip Elf and Crypt (personal hatred, and Crypt rewards are usually junk), I don't have the fastest times, but they're quite a bit different than your 20h 4 rune.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 7th June 2012, 02:03

I came to this thread assuming I usually ran in around 6-7 hours for 3 runes, maybe 10ish for 15, and then I actually checked my logs and found out it was more like 23 hours for my first 15 rune, and 13 hours for the 5 rune after that. In good news, the next win after that, 15 runes, was 13 hours. So basically, win a few more times and you'll get faster as you get more familiar with it?

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 7th June 2012, 06:45

With a MiFi I managed a 4 and a half hour win with 4 runes, and that was my first win ever (first time to Vaults, Elf, and Zot). You can do almost everything with tab and autoexplore when you become a capable enough melee fighter.

Spider Stomper

Post Sunday, 1st July 2012, 21:00

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice