Warper advice

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 3rd February 2011, 20:21

Warper advice

The Warper class really intrigues me. They have no spells for offensive magic, they start with a sword and armor and they just seem...weird. I like that.

However I've no idea what to do with one. Do I play as a fighter? Do I try to get my hands on other spellbooks and go for spellcaster? I'm trying as a High Elf Warper right now, which god should I go for?

Just...some general advice on these guys, please.

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 3rd February 2011, 20:42

Re: Warper advice

Play them as a fighter with blink until you find a better spellbook, I guess. So you could go with pretty much any god, Kiku would be nice if you want to be more spellcaster-y, or good old boring Oka/Makhleb. I don't think there really needs to be a starting class for Tloc, come to think of it.

Mines Malingerer

Post Thursday, 3rd February 2011, 21:27

You could also go with a ranged-magic hybrid with your HE's bow aptitude. You start with the teleport projectile spell to increase your accuracy so you don't waste all that precious ammo.
Arsenal FC...I'm a gooner.

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 3rd February 2011, 22:06

I recently won a 3-runer DGWr. It was a "pure" Wr - only Tloc spells allowed. In the beginning, it was a fighter with blink, like Marvin said. Post mid-game it became more of a stealth-based character, teleporting around, grabbing stuff and avoiding fights.

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 3rd February 2011, 22:36

Chei should be a good option, I think, for a HE Warper. You can get to 40+ Int really quickly (no hunger from spells)
Never tried it though.

Or you can play as a backstabber with controlled blink.
Mangled by Mennas

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 3rd February 2011, 22:54

I was thinking of maybe combining it with Ashenzari and going for a teleporting stabber as Rapigel suggested. Ash's warning and auto mapping can be useful, and if it really comes to it I can use Scrying to check out nearby places before I teleport in/out of them...the problem is surviving long enough to be able to do that. I'm thinking of dropping the High Elf and going Spriggan for the extra EV and speed.

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 4th February 2011, 00:39

Yep High Elves are tough to play in the early game because they have 150% experience and not-so-great HP. Warpers are generally melee fighters with spellcasting support (think crusader or transmuter). Have you tried an Ogre Warper? They have great spellcasting aptitude, super high HP and great at M&F.
TrCK:
Xom grants you an implement of some kind.
_Something appears at your feet!
4790 gold pieces {god gift}.

DsAr:
You blink. You feel slightly more hungry. Prince Ribbit hits you. You die...
"Hey, that's my toy!"
Xom revives you!

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice