Keeping Xom Amused

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Zot Zealot

Post Thursday, 3rd February 2011, 19:00

Keeping Xom Amused

I am playing a DSGl of Xom on the side, just for kicks. And, so far, it has been highly amusing - both for Xom, and also for me.

I love his pronouncements ("Here."). I cheer when he roars with laughter.

But I worry - always, I worry. How can I keep him happy?

I've been getting good press on the two wands of random effects I've found, so I've been spamming them at everything - he liked it when I whacked the megabat with a bolt of lightning, but I thought I would have got more laughs from accidentally hasting that ogre. It's all a bit mysterious.

Announcing that I was his beloved plaything, opening a gate and summoning the nequoxec, the midges and assorted imps and minor demons would have been fractionally more helpful *before* I fought my way through all those orcs.

But thanks for the Wand of Digging{god gift}, boss.

Seriously, this is great fun but I do wonder what exactly amuses him - is the code full of special case checks of the form "if(worshipping(XOM)) { amuse_xom() }" in various combinations of circumstances? How arbitrary/complicated are they?
I am sure I played flawflessly. This was an utmost unfair death. -- gorbeh

Zot Zealot

Post Thursday, 3rd February 2011, 19:05

Re: Keeping Xom Amused

I'll definitely try again, but it turns out that a whole pile of minor demons is still < one Orc Warrior, at that stage. And when he has Javelins, your Wand of Digging {god gift} isn't much help.

Still, I'm sure this is all very amusing.
I am sure I played flawflessly. This was an utmost unfair death. -- gorbeh

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 3rd February 2011, 19:45

Here are some tips:

- Don't bother going in harm's way to please Xom, unless he's BORED.
- Don't waste your time resting. Use Regeneration.
- Use speed boosting spells and gear. The less time outside of battle, the happier Xom will be.
- Controlled blink/teleport is enough to trivialize his most dangerous tricks.

Edit:

Here are some spoilers:

http://crawl.chaosforge.org/index.php?title=Xom

Some of the info might be outdated.

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 4th February 2011, 00:41

Keep some bad scrolls handy - Xom loves cursed gear, noise, or self-damage (immolation, etc.). Or if there's shallow water nearby go splash around for a bit; Xom is mildly amused by that.
TrCK:
Xom grants you an implement of some kind.
_Something appears at your feet!
4790 gold pieces {god gift}.

DsAr:
You blink. You feel slightly more hungry. Prince Ribbit hits you. You die...
"Hey, that's my toy!"
Xom revives you!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 4th February 2011, 00:54

tormodpwns wrote:Saint Roka surrenders.

Forgive me for going OT, but what happened here? Did you get to keep Roka as your faithful droog for the rest of the game?

mad

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 4th February 2011, 01:42

I've gotten Blork The Orc as a follower of my HOPr before, so you can definitely get unique orcs converted.

Add that to orcs having a chance at being converted when you deal a killing blow and that probably explains how he got Saint Roka to be his mook.

It's very, very cool though - I was shocked when I converted Blork and then very sad when he got roasted not long afterwards.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 4th February 2011, 01:53

Blork's a chump. Roka on the other hand brings a lot to the table - the table of war.

gb

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 4th February 2011, 08:02

you used to be able to do bad stuff on purpose (drink a potion of slowing, for example) to amuse Xom, but that's been removed from newer releases. the only advice i can give you is to find a chaos weapon, that will definitely keep Xom happy. take Crazy Yiuf's quarterstaff!

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 4th February 2011, 15:18

Yep Blork is weak like an Orc Wized who can't promote into a sorcerer. Urug, te other unique, has the HP of an Orc knight but hits weakly, significantly weaker than Orc warriors. But I was lucky enough to convert Saint Roka when I killed him (I rarely convert regular knights). Saint Roka has nearly 1.5x the HP of a warlord, hits harder, and smites. unfortunately he sometimes smites instead of melee attacking, which is more powerful.
TrCK:
Xom grants you an implement of some kind.
_Something appears at your feet!
4790 gold pieces {god gift}.

DsAr:
You blink. You feel slightly more hungry. Prince Ribbit hits you. You die...
"Hey, that's my toy!"
Xom revives you!

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 4th February 2011, 18:12

gb wrote:you used to be able to do bad stuff on purpose (drink a potion of slowing, for example) to amuse Xom, but that's been removed from newer releases. the only advice i can give you is to find a chaos weapon, that will definitely keep Xom happy. take Crazy Yiuf's quarterstaff!

Didn't help much for me.
Couple days ago I began as a Human Wanderer - clean slate with random stats. On the first level I defeated a gnoll with spear of chaos and decided to train polearms with it.
On the same 1 level I found an altar of Xom. "It's a sign!" I thought and without doubt - joined him.
Since then I ran like crazy through the dungeon occasionally hasting, healing and berserking those i struck. It was a demented ride until i encountered a big mob of monsters - barely survived, but killed them all. Backtracked to previous level with about 10 hp and start resting. When my hp risen to about 1/4 from it's maximum Xom animates my spear of chaos which kills me after a few turns. Oh, the irony...

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice