Playing online help needed

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 28th May 2012, 11:30

Playing online help needed

Well, I have never played online before so I thought I would give it a try. I downloaded the .zip of Putty, did all the config stuff and connected to CAO via SSH. It was all going well, I chose the new user option put in a user name but when I am prompted for a password, I can't type anything. At that point, my keyboard seems to be disabled. Can anyone shed some light on this please?

Pandemonium Purger

Post Monday, 28th May 2012, 11:33

Re: Playing online help needed

Oddysee wrote:Well, I have never played online before so I thought I would give it a try. I downloaded the .zip of Putty, did all the config stuff and connected to CAO via SSH. It was all going well, I chose the new user option put in a user name but when I am prompted for a password, I can't type anything. At that point, my keyboard seems to be disabled. Can anyone shed some light on this please?

The password is not being printed to the screen. This prevents anyone else looking at the screen from learning your password and logging in as you.

For this message the author Patashu has received thanks:
Oddysee

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 28th May 2012, 12:05

Now I feel dumb. Thank you very much. One more thing, I started playing, then saved and exited and when I continued that game this message came up: Lua error: Can't find "lua/pickup.lua"

Any ideas?

Lair Larrikin

Post Monday, 28th May 2012, 12:52

Oddysee wrote:Now I feel dumb. Thank you very much. One more thing, I started playing, then saved and exited and when I continued that game this message came up: Lua error: Can't find "lua/pickup.lua"

Any ideas?

You need to edit your options file. To do this, press o if you are playing 0.10, or T then o if you are playing trunk. There should be a line 'lua_file = lua/pickup.lua'. You can either put a # in front of this line, or delete it.

edit: Leaving this line in your options file won't hurt anything, you just get an error message that does nothing except print a line to the message log.

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 28th May 2012, 12:54

Thanks. I'm curious as to what the error effects in-game?

EDIT: I just saw your edit lol

Lair Larrikin

Post Monday, 28th May 2012, 12:56

Oddysee wrote:Thanks. I'm curious as to what the error effects in-game?

Nothing. It's a lua file that was used in older versions, but is no longer used. When the options file is loaded, it looks for the file but can't find it and gives you an error message, but nothing bad happens.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice