How to leave an annoying player ghost, a spoiler

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Thursday, 24th May 2012, 01:53

How to leave an annoying player ghost, a spoiler

Comments welcome! I read ghost.cc to compile this:

1) Be a centaur or spriggan. Both centaurs and spriggans get the maximum player ghost speed of 13.
1.5)Other ideas: Draconian at xl7+ (player ghost draconians get draining breath!), hill orc, minotaur, ogre...

2) Worship Cheibriados, unless you need sif/veh/kiku to get books or maybe trog for weapon gifts. Chei will give boosts to str, dex and int that 1) boost your melee damage 2) boost your ev 3) let you get spells below 50% miscast sooner. He also won't nerf your player ghost's speed.

3) Dump your shield. Player ghosts don't get SH. Also ignore ranged weaponry except to keep yourself alive.

4) Find the beefiest brandiest weapon you can. Wield it. Your player ghost's base damage is now this weapon's base damage. Weapon skill, fighting and str will all boost it slowly to a maximum of 50 (The formula is: base damage, then *(weapon skill+25)/25, then *(30+fighting)/30, then + str/4). Brands work the same for ghosts as for you, except holy wrath is turned into brandless. Temp brand spells work! Try dying with distortion!
4.5) The base damage calculation for UC ghosts is: 4+(if clawed, xl)+uc, then *(30+fighting)/30, then + str/4.

5) Find some annoying spells to cast. Good background choices: Wz with slow and mephitic cloud, Cj with meph and bolt, FE with sticky flame and fireball, AE with swiftness and lightning bolt, VM with mephitic cloud and venom bolt and poison weapon before dying, En with mephitic cloud and ensorcerelled hibernation, IE with throw icicle (it's as strong as the bolts/balls but only spell level 4). (For more ideas, see Appendix A)

6) Skills: Get the spells you want memorized and stop (They don't need to be consistently castable, just <50% when you die - !brilliance works. Your ghost's spell success and power will be based off of HD which is based off of XL on death), then get as desired: weapon skill for melee damage, fighting for melee damage/hp, dodging/armour for defenses.

7) Immediately before you die, maximize the following: fire/cold/lightning resistance, see invis, AC, EV, str, dex, get all spells you want it to cast < 50% miscast rate, your weapon's beefiness. Cast: Temp weapon brands, ozo's, stoneskin, phase shift, insulation, see invis. Quaff: Might, brilliance, agility, resistance. Invoke: Heroism, zerk.

8) Make sure you aren't in D:1, D:2 or the temple.
8.5) Die.

Appendix A: Choosing spells for your player ghost, in slightly more detail:

Two conj slots:
High level ghosts should aim for:
IOOD, LCS, fire storm, ice storm, iron shot (all of these hurt a lot)
Low level ghosts should aim for:
iron shot, bolt of magma, throw icicle, bolt of fire, bolt of cold, fireball, sticky flame, agony, chain lightning
Not quite as damaging as the above are:
bolt of lightning, stone arrow, venom bolt (poisonous!), bolt of draining, IMB, airstrike
Ensorcerelled Hibernation will take up a conj slot if you have it but it has the lowest priority possible

One summon/self-ench slot, good ideas:
summon greater demon (nasty!), summon horrible things, summon dragon, haunt, silence (so your player ghost can be mennasing), haste, swiftness, invis

Two misc slots, good ideas:
agony, freezing cloud, dispel undead, paralyse, confuse, mephitic cloud/evaporate (turns into meph), slow, petrify, polymorph other (ultimate annoyance!)

A sixth slot, which is always blink if you have it

Some spells player ghosts WON'T keep:
Poison Arrow ( :( )
Poisonous Cloud
Abjuration/Mass Abjuration (however, learn a powerful summon and you implicitly get this)
Intoxication/Toxic Radiance/Refridgeration
Any transmutations
Borg's / Death's Door
Pretty much all self-buffs besides haste/swift/invis/silence
Confusing Touch
Conjure Ball Lightning
Shadow Creatures
Shatter/Tornado
Tukima's Dance
Last edited by Patashu on Tuesday, 29th May 2012, 00:48, edited 4 times in total.

For this message the author Patashu has received thanks:
Dustbin

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 24th May 2012, 02:10

Re: How to leave an annoying player ghost, a spoiler

step one: spie
step two: throw icicle

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 24th May 2012, 16:48

0) Be a [very bad noun describing a bad man in the most disgusting way English language allows]
If you find any mistakes or typos in my post, feel free to PM me about it. Thanks in advance!

The Verse flows throughout Aquaria...
Through each ripple and wave...
Through every living being...
The Verse binds us all as one.

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 24th May 2012, 17:06

You skipped sputterflies for the sheer annoyance factor.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 24th May 2012, 21:21

If you want annoying ghosts, learn nothing but poly other, haste, and blink. mmm all the mutations

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 24th May 2012, 21:45

MyOtheHedgeFox wrote:0) Be a [very bad noun describing a bad man in the most disgusting way English language allows]

we just want some fun! give me some objective reason to be "moral" and why "morality" should apply to this and i might listen!

If you want annoying ghosts, learn nothing but poly other, haste, and blink. mmm all the mutations

This sounds great on a nice high-speed high-HP centaur.

Mines Malingerer

Post Thursday, 24th May 2012, 23:00

Couldn't you just get fire storm at 1% (or as low as possible), die on level 3 and your ghost will one shot things?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 24th May 2012, 23:16

dmurray wrote:Couldn't you just get fire storm at 1% (or as low as possible), die on level 3 and your ghost will one shot things?

No worries. Ghosts never miscast spells, so you can memorize Fire Storm at 99% failure even with stacked wizardry and brilliance up, and your ghost will cast it perfectly every time.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 24th May 2012, 23:24

minmay wrote:Ghosts don't get spells that the player had above 50% fail when they died.

Oh, that's sensible. Still not particularly difficult to attain, mind you, and completely unfair for the player who draws the ghost, but not quite as funny.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Friday, 25th May 2012, 02:12

dmurray wrote:Couldn't you just get fire storm at 1% (or as low as possible), die on level 3 and your ghost will one shot things?

You can get spells you normally wouldn't think about casting on your ghost, by quaffing brilliance to learn them and brilliance again just before you die to get them below 50% miscast rate (the magic number). Going as far as fire storm/ice storm isn't needed - LCS, iood, iron shot, fireball, bolt of foo, throw icicle are all deadly early on as well.

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 25th May 2012, 04:36

This is a funny thread. I remember reading on the SomethingAwful.com forums back in the day about something similar to this. It was a thread on trolling in video games and apparently someone used to just make crazy strong ghosts in a dungeon crawl type game. Apparently it had a similar way of working online as DCSS, hell it might even be this game. Anyways basically the guy would leave these nasty ghosts for the sole purpose of killing people he never met or knew. I find that stuff humorous.

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 25th May 2012, 04:44

if you want to leave an insanely deadly ghost, the best thing to do is get a deep elf with fire storm, max level, and leave it on lair:1 or lair:2. Someone did this recently and it got something like 6 kills, which (to my knowledge) makes it one of the most deadly ghosts ever.

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 25th May 2012, 06:28

cerebovssquire wrote:
MyOtheHedgeFox wrote:0) Be a [very bad noun describing a bad man in the most disgusting way English language allows]

we just want some fun! give me some objective reason to be "moral" and why "morality" should apply to this and i might listen!

Because people and other creatures might die because of this, Joker! (aims a javelinrang)

And I am almost sure that some people will play as Dark Knights (**Ne) solely for the purpose of clearing the game of them.
Thematic in some way...
If you find any mistakes or typos in my post, feel free to PM me about it. Thanks in advance!

The Verse flows throughout Aquaria...
Through each ripple and wave...
Through every living being...
The Verse binds us all as one.

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 25th May 2012, 13:29

evilmike wrote:if you want to leave an insanely deadly ghost, the best thing to do is get a deep elf with fire storm, max level, and leave it on lair:1 or lair:2. Someone did this recently and it got something like 6 kills, which (to my knowledge) makes it one of the most deadly ghosts ever.

I was thinking more of the annoying ghost factor. Yours is certainly the deadly ghost factor.

A Ce with haste, blink, poly other and sputterflies is going to annoy the hell out of people. Good luck getting close enough to kill him and the sputterflies will block any non-smite targeted attacks.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 27th May 2012, 13:42

rebthor wrote:
evilmike wrote:if you want to leave an insanely deadly ghost, the best thing to do is get a deep elf with fire storm, max level, and leave it on lair:1 or lair:2. Someone did this recently and it got something like 6 kills, which (to my knowledge) makes it one of the most deadly ghosts ever.

I was thinking more of the annoying ghost factor. Yours is certainly the deadly ghost factor.

A Ce with haste, blink, poly other and sputterflies is going to annoy the hell out of people. Good luck getting close enough to kill him and the sputterflies will block any non-smite targeted attacks.

I don't see how sputterflies helps here. Summon Butterflies and Polymorph Other are different annoyances. Summon Butterflies is "damnit this thing is virtually unreachable", Polymorh Other is "ugh mutations". The two obviously conflict with each other because Polymorph Other isn't smite-targeted.

Anyway, I just started a CeTm with the intention of going Sif Muna. I'm not sure if I want to make a ridiculously-high-HP dragon centaur or if I'll just troll CDO a bit... :P

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 27th May 2012, 20:06

...wait. They might not be conflict. Will the ghost attempt to fire through the butterflies, creating an amusing menagerie of new poly-summons attacking you?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 27th May 2012, 20:48

mageykun wrote:...wait. They might not be conflict. Will the ghost attempt to fire through the butterflies, creating an amusing menagerie of new poly-summons attacking you?

hobgoblins, the most amusing poly-summons

HD:1-3 creatures are what you are mainly going to get, and most of these are not interesting...

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 27th May 2012, 21:31

The ghost will also not even attempt to use poly other unless it has a free line of fire to its target.

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 29th May 2012, 17:09

Ok, I was just thinking of trying to fight ghosts that have butterflies and how incredibly annoying it is. When combined with a ghost who will mutate you, I thought it would be even worse.

So perhaps it should be amended to butterflies OR poly other.

Blades Runner

Post Saturday, 2nd June 2012, 03:32

Too much effort! All you really need to do is get a XL27 CE/Sp, grab any reasonably strong full-range spell, and starve yourself on D:3. Anything beyond that is just taking it too far; you will already 1-shot everything that comes into view and be neigh invulnerable to damage from a level 5 player.

If you want it to be annoying just swap out the spell with polymorph, as said earlier. Getting max resists isn't too important because you already are too strong to simply blow up that early in the game.

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 2nd June 2012, 03:44

You should starve in Lair, not in D:3. I don't think you can leave legendary ghosts in the early dungeon.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice