How stable is the current trunk?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 17th May 2012, 20:02

How stable is the current trunk?

Ok, I never play trunk, just the stable releases. However, when I heard about the highscores feature, I had to try it out. It's very good.

For this reason, I want to continue to play trunk. Therefore, can anyone tell me how stable to current trunk is? Can I continue playing it without problems?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 17th May 2012, 20:20

Re: How stable is the current trunk?

What do you mean by "stable"?

If you mean, does it crash when you sneeze?
NO.

If you mean, if they update it tomorrow and introduce a bug, will it crash when you sneeze?
POSSIBLY, BUT A NEW BUILD WILL BE RELEASED WITHIN HOURS OR EVEN MINUTES OF DETECTION.

The point of trunk, IMHO, is to try out all the new features by playing the game, and also discovering occasional bugs and unbalanced mechanics.

Trunk is built on the prior release, so it's not like it is some gigantic fluctuating horrific beast. I think the terms "stable" and "unstable" bring with them a nonsensical innate fear of the unknown. Many Google apps are still in Beta (a kinder word for "not stable") for years and I'm sure you've used several!

You will notice in trunk, not only the high scores, but that trunk no longer has missile enchantment! This will end up being, I believe, the 0.11 version's "Mountain Dwarf Removal". It's still being balanced and as someone who is playing trunk, you'll be in a better position than you were to feedback!

I am not a developer for Crawl, but I do play trunk, monitor the changelog, and update all the time.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 17th May 2012, 20:43

Ok thanks. I've noticed that the inventory lines up items in a different order. Even that is gonna take getting used to. :)

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 17th May 2012, 20:50

Oddysee wrote:Ok, I never play trunk, just the stable releases. However, when I heard about the highscores feature, I had to try it out. It's very good.

For this reason, I want to continue to play trunk. Therefore, can anyone tell me how stable to current trunk is? Can I continue playing it without problems?

It's quite playable, and if you get a crash, you can usually just reload your savefile (you'll only lose a tiny amount of progress). Game-stopping bugs are very rare. Trunk is stable enough that a lot of people play it exclusively.

Just one thing to note, is that you can't upgrade a 0.10 save to a 0.11 (trunk) save, since the new version breaks save compat. So, if you have a 0.10 game, you should finish it before giving 0.11 a try.

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 17th May 2012, 21:17

Bear in mind as well that the version you are playing is considered unstable. What I have found is that there are rare, but not non-existent times when I will go to load a saved game on CAO, and have the updater tell me that the save is no longer compatible. If you're one to play a single game over multiple sessions, you might see this from time to time.

But otherwise, I have to agree, you're in a better position to provide feedback, and you get the newest features first, like the new inventory order.
The above post is for entertainment purposes only. If you think anything I ever say is backed by fact, or if you cite things I've said in any argument ever, you are insane.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 17th May 2012, 21:17

Oddysee wrote:Ok thanks. I've noticed that the inventory lines up items in a different order. Even that is gonna take getting used to. :)

Actually, I do believe that's a bug because something broke. I am going to hunt down the post in Tavern where someone said so and post that link here.

EDIT Ah forget it, I thought it was galehar who said it was an introduced bug, but I always say that galehar says stuff, and I'm usually wrong and I can't find the Tavern post. Here's the bug entry on Mantis.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 18th May 2012, 09:32

Yeah, trunk is pretty stable now. And some changes are actually pretty good: ammo enchantment is out, all ammo are pretty much +3 for all intents and purposes.

I wish there were webtiles for trunk.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice