Controls + non-spoiler hints cheatsheet in printable format?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 19th May 2012, 05:03

Controls + non-spoiler hints cheatsheet in printable format?

Is there a SUBJ for Crawl available, guys? =)
If you find any mistakes or typos in my post, feel free to PM me about it. Thanks in advance!

The Verse flows throughout Aquaria...
Through each ripple and wave...
Through every living being...
The Verse binds us all as one.

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 19th May 2012, 05:20

Re: Controls + non-spoiler hints cheatsheet in printable for

Well, I suppose you could print out keybind.txt for a concise commands cheat sheet. Copy / paste to a word processor with columns and you could even fit in on a single page. You might want to reformat it into something nicer though. Display the vi keys in a grid, remove all the cmds and _'s, etc. You could start from the relevant manual section instead, but it describes ever command rather than just identifying it, which is much less concise / printer friendly.

I'm not sure what constitutes non-spoiler hints though. Or what SUBJ means in this context.

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 19th May 2012, 08:47

I am thinking of making a PocketMod cheatbooklet (virgin and spoiled versions, where "virgin" means spoiler-free) and a booklet for recording character data for easier memorization of your artefacts and innate abilities.

Maybe somebody else would like to make it? =)

The idea for the character booklet is simple.
A PocketMod booklet has 6 pages (not including front and back lists).

three 2-pages for each character, on which there are places for:

name, creation date/time,
list for artefacts/egoitems (?),
list for alive and kicking uniques / monster groups,
checklist for important milestones (rF, rC, Clarity, rMut, Mystic Blast book...),
tiny list for stashes,
place of death / victory,
reason of death / victory.

And a back page with a few strategy hints.
If you find any mistakes or typos in my post, feel free to PM me about it. Thanks in advance!

Pandemonium Purger

Post Saturday, 19th May 2012, 09:35

All of this is stuff crawl can already tell you, under screens such as %, ctrl+f, ctrl+O, \, \- and your dump.

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 19th May 2012, 09:43

It surely can, but I myself had troubles remembering about certain powerful artefacts or abilities, and witnessed good players forgetting about their "escape cards" or simply overlooking them.
A material carrier might be useful.

And, I definitely insist on the importance of a material cheat sheet. An on-screen manual can be closed, and will be closed by some players, while a material guide will always remain somewhere. Plus, due to it being material, it will receive more attention.

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 20th May 2012, 02:30

Oh, you mean you want character sheets to fill out. I used to just use backs of envelopes for my nethack characters (finally- a use for all that spam they shove in college mailboxes) but it wouldn't be much harder to make a printable template to fill out if that's what you want (I'd start with the top bit of a dump / morgue, and replace specifics with _'s. Follow with big blocks of _'s for your lists). Formatting it to fit / print right for a foldable booklet would probably the hardest bit (can't comment on that right now- the thing you linked seems to be dead at the moment).

There's just the tedium of transcribing and updating the information, of course. And starting over for each new character. You can poo-poo this if you want, but really, this is the main reason I can't bring myself to play nethack anymore. It's too much work to write everything down after getting used to crawl doing it for you! I mean, I'd be tempted to look for ways to shunt the data to alternate windows or monitors if I wanted to look at it all at once before I considered going back to writing it all by hand. >_>

A printer friendly cheat sheet of commands probably has more practical utility, as it doesn't add tedium in exchange for being able to loot at all the info at once. Useful for new players who don't want to check the manual over and over.

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 20th May 2012, 06:20

So be it: a cheat sheet only. =)

Strange: it is still available here. Check pocketmod.com if that link returns no data for you.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice