Transmuter love

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Zot Zealot

Post Tuesday, 1st February 2011, 18:45

Transmuter love

In my case, I happen to like Sludge Elves and Cheibriados as well so I get to have all the cake, but Transmuters of all kinds are my favourite class for loads of reasons. Thought I'd start a thread for my fellow shifty characters to share the love...

Awesome things:

- Evaporate. It's the swiss army chainsaw of the early and middle dungeon.
- Genuine hybrid spellcasting/melee satisfaction. Never really got along with Reavers or Crusaders, but Transmuters are great fun.
- Ice Form. I find myself using this as far as I get in the game, it never gets old.
- Blade Hands. Worth playing with tiles just because you look like such a badass.
- Cheibriados! He even has the best altar.

Other awesome things? You train nearly all the 'interesting' magic schools (ie, not Conjurations and the Artist Formerly Known As Enchantments), so there are plenty of opportunities to follow left-field paths as they come along. Like Necromancy when you find a Kiku altar. Or finding the Book of Earth, you get to play an Earth Elementalist without all that tedious hoarding of rocks to survive the early game (and let us not forget Statue Form, trundle trundle). Or... loads of good stuff.

I've even had fun worshipping Okawaru :oops:

I've noticed a few subtle buffs that have happened now that I'm playing trunk:

- Ponderous Armour. Not sure if this was intended to be a buff, or just to prevent running away in Spider Form. But having my stat bonuses partially go away every time I shapeshifted made me sad. I'm definitely doing a little better in melee.
- Sky Beasts. This doesn't sound like a buff, but their mutagenic corpses mean you identify potions of mutation early in the game. This means you can quaff pretty much anything without fear, as long as you've IDed Healing beforehand.
- Clinging to walls in Spider Form. A subtle one, and also doesn't sound too useful - and yet, it's come in handy every single game since.

What else ya got?
I am sure I played flawflessly. This was an utmost unfair death. -- gorbeh

For this message the author joellercoaster has received thanks:
MyOtheHedgeFox

Swamp Slogger

Post Tuesday, 1st February 2011, 20:19

Re: Transmuter love

Ahh transmutors
I haven't played one in a while, but Chei is the Bomb with them.
Naga Transmutors are also great with Chei as the Forms help out with Melee while adding to the Nagas already great Hp.

Im gonna give them another go.

What advantages does wall cling add?

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 1st February 2011, 21:32

Spider form got nerfed. No more easy escapes with Chei and curare paralyzes you now. Wall clinging is just situational levitation.

Anyway, Transmuter is my favorite background. Merfolks (best transmutation apt in the game), felids (great statue form users), demigods (high stats), draconians (dragon form), and sludge elves (best apts in general) all make good transmuters.

Here's a guide for anymore interested in playing a transmuter (v0.7):

http://crawl.chaosforge.org/index.php?t ... uter_guide

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 1st February 2011, 22:56

joellercoaster wrote:In my case, I happen to like Sludge Elves and Cheibriados as well so I get to have all the cake, but Transmuters of all kinds are my favourite class for loads of reasons. Thought I'd start a thread for my fellow shifty characters to share the love...

I love transmuters too, for all the reasons you listed. I think transmuters (and the transmutation school in general) is really original and helps make crawl a unique game.

joellercoaster wrote:- Ponderous Armour. Not sure if this was intended to be a buff, or just to prevent running away in Spider Form.

Well, both actually!

I did a lot of code on forms, like fixing all the merfolk related bugs. There's more to come. I'd like to clean up the clinging code. Also, I think forms need more consistency. I'd like to make all animal forms (spider, ice and dragon forms) have the same restrictions as felids. No throwing (and no evaporate) and no wands. Of course this is a nerf, and maybe we'll need to buff some of them in other ways. But I think it is an interesting nerf. As usual, I got carried away. I should start a thread in the design forum :)
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Mines Malingerer

Post Wednesday, 2nd February 2011, 03:51

Where's the Twilight, er, uh...I mean Vampire love? Solid apts and they get fangs 3 and never have to eat. I'm also a big fan of innate see invisible.
Arsenal FC...I'm a gooner.

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 2nd February 2011, 10:05

Other than the decay abuse (which doesn't work anymore) I don't like vampire transmuters. Mainly because vampires need to be full to use transformations. I like the resists you get from being thirty or nearly bloodless.

Mines Malingerer

Post Thursday, 3rd February 2011, 00:05

I just like vampires in crawl I guess.

I just tried one on a whim. It was sweet, but I died before I could make it to the can't-find-any-blood endgame which would have crushed me anyway. I see that as much more of an issue than hunger mechanic bonuses.
Arsenal FC...I'm a gooner.

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 3rd February 2011, 07:15

joellercoaster wrote:- Genuine hybrid spellcasting/melee satisfaction. Never really got along with Reavers or Crusaders, but Transmuters are great fun.

- Clinging to walls in Spider Form. A subtle one, and also doesn't sound too useful - and yet, it's come in handy every single game since.

Sorry, I'm going to have to disagree with your first point. A "genuine" hybrid would be one that truly casts spells and fights in combat, i.e. the Reaver is the only genuine hybrid in Crawl (as a starting background at least). I would say Transmuters and Crusaders are melee classes with magic support because spellcasting is not something you do often with those characters, except to renew enchantments and transformations.

And for clinging, I don't know how that's useful if you're worshipping Chei. First of all, Chei disapproves of the spell altogether. Secondly, it seems to be used only for crossing water, which Ice Form already takes care of (plus has overall better stats).
TrCK:
Xom grants you an implement of some kind.
_Something appears at your feet!
4790 gold pieces {god gift}.

DsAr:
You blink. You feel slightly more hungry. Prince Ribbit hits you. You die...
"Hey, that's my toy!"
Xom revives you!

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 3rd February 2011, 08:42

tormodpwns wrote:Sorry, I'm going to have to disagree with your first point. A "genuine" hybrid would be one that truly casts spells and fights in combat, i.e. the Reaver is the only genuine hybrid in Crawl (as a starting background at least). I would say Transmuters and Crusaders are melee classes with magic support because spellcasting is not something you do often with those characters, except to renew enchantments and transformations.

Huh? Why? I don't see what's genuine about using conjuration and melee. Obviously, any build that isn't pure fighting or pure casting is an hybrid. I think what joellercoaster meant when he said that transmuters are genuine hybrids, is that in their case, the hybridisation feels really natural. Much more so than reavers.

tormodpwns wrote:And for clinging, I don't know how that's useful if you're worshipping Chei. First of all, Chei disapproves of the spell altogether.

No he doesn't. And he never did.

tormodpwns wrote:Secondly, it seems to be used only for crossing water, which Ice Form already takes care of (plus has overall better stats).

It can be used for crossing lava too. But clinging must be seen as a gimmick than can be useful sometimes, not as a buff. Hopefully, it will be more interesting in spider's nest when the monster version will be implemented.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Zot Zealot

Post Thursday, 3rd February 2011, 09:05

galehar wrote:Why? I don't see what's genuine about using conjuration and melee. Obviously, any build that isn't pure fighting or pure casting is an hybrid. I think what joellercoaster meant when he said that transmuters are genuine hybrids, is that in their case, the hybridisation feels really natural. Much more so than reavers.

Right - if the only thing you do in Crawl is cause direct damage to things, then I guess only Reavers would count :)

I use spells in combat a lot - probably until the end of the Lair, my #1 weapon is Evaporate. And for a shorter period, I lean on Sticks to Snakes a fair bit*. Then after that, there's LRD, Agony, even some schooled Conjurations like Iron Shot and Enchantments like Ozocubu's Armour. This game, I have a lot of Earth Magic going on so I'm really looking forward to Shatter.

One of my early ones learned Orb of Destruction (then left a ghost, bah).

Maybe I play my Transmuters differently?

*actually, lately I've rediscovered it for higher-level situations and use it as a sort of poor man's Summon Butterflies - except when you have high skills, your butterflies are fast, poisonous and have a lot more HP.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 3rd February 2011, 14:28

My EEs and Tms tend to blend together past the first spellbook, particularly if I worship Sif. If I start an EE, Sandblast gets Transmutations going pretty nicely, and LRD later on also helps. As a Tm, it rarely hurts to victory dance with Stoneskin if you've got the spell levels, which jump-starts your Earth Magic...and you need some of that if you want Statue Form.

So whatever you're starting with, Sif will drop stuff like LRD, Petrify, and Shatter on you pretty quickly.
You fall off the wall. You have a feeling of ineptitude.

Swamp Slogger

Post Thursday, 3rd February 2011, 16:56

Why do some people keep on saying that Chei doesn't like spider form?
Have they just not tried it or what? Because unless someone changed it it works.
And if you DO change it, I will hunt you down and Frown at you.

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 3rd February 2011, 20:15

omndra wrote:Why do some people keep on saying that Chei doesn't like spider form?
Have they just not tried it or what? Because unless someone changed it it works.
And if you DO change it, I will hunt you down and Frown at you.

It's because they don't read my guide (posted above). ;) Using Spider form for escaping as a Chei worshiper is pretty common knowledge. Anyway, it got nerfed in 0.8.

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 15th February 2011, 23:37

Just started playing DGTr transmuters myself, and I fell in love with them. There is something incredibly satisfying about turning corpses into potions, and I'm a mutation addict, so alter self is to me what a beach of cocaine is to Amy Whinehouse.

Just encountered Anges at XL 11, which normally would have been a reason to leave the floor and come back a good deal of XL's higher, but this time I confused and poisoned her until she finally ripped herself to shreds with her own lajatang. Didn't know you still get the experience if the monsters kill themselves. :lol:

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 16th February 2011, 08:31

HonestJim wrote:Just encountered Anges at XL 11, which normally would have been a reason to leave the floor and come back a good deal of XL's higher, but this time I confused and poisoned her until she finally ripped herself to shreds with her own lajatang. Didn't know you still get the experience if the monsters kill themselves. :lol:

You are the direct cause for such monsters' suicides, so the XP is rightfully yours. :)
Reminds me of one of my SpVMs at the bottom of the Lair, when I met four death yaks across a body of deep water. One meph cloud confused then all and they all drowned within a few turns.
4k+ XP for 3MP - beat this ratio ;)
... and forgive us our YASDs,
As we forgive our developers,
And lead us not into the Abyss,
But deliver us from Sigmund,
For Thine is the Roguelike,
the Orb and the Victory,
now and forever.

For this message the author Zicher has received thanks:
MyOtheHedgeFox

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Tuesday, 1st March 2011, 18:18

Ok, after my last TM death (to an arrow trap of all things.. sucker hit me in ice form for 14 HP and all I was trying to do was pick up an arrow) I'm convinced I'm just not playing transmuters right. I rarely get past the lair with them. In the guide it says Ice Form gets you through the lair but I've got komodo dragons essentially ripping me to shreds while I'm in ice form.

I also don't know what to do when it comes to finally picking up a weapon. It seems like any training I do in blades or M&F is a waste, and the one time I actually did find a staff, I cursed it and had to sticks to snakes it just so I could get food. I'm also running out of potions because the trade (confuse a hobgoblin; leave corpse; replace confusion) isn't as 1:1 as you might think.

With the nerf to Chei in 0.8, I want to try Kiku, but with the lack of direct damage I'm just not getting deep enough. Any 0.8 tips or in general things to avoid?
  Code:
Jory screams, "No, no!" before exploding into a cloud of blood!

Mines Malingerer

Post Tuesday, 1st March 2011, 18:26

Why would you use a weapon being a transmuter?

Zot Zealot

Post Tuesday, 1st March 2011, 18:34

I wouldn't say Chei has been nerfed - just differented. My only win was a SETm of Cheibriados in a recent 0.8 build :)

One big tip if you are playing with Chei and are having trouble with the Lair, is do Hive first. You get a stack of Chei piety, Ice Beasts eat bee corspes like popcorn (to coin a phrase) plus you'll be a bit tougher in general when you start meeting yaks - possibly to the point of Blade Hands (which are definitely the right thing for Komodo Dragons - they're just bastards in general).

If you're not playing Chei, buffed Ice Beasts are awesome (berserk rocks). And you should still clear the Hive first :)

Regarding the potions thing, it's possible you're using them too much too soon. Later on you have them coming out of your ears (and they aren't as useful anyway), but early, potions of confusion are your get out of jail card - save them for packs of gnolls, orc wizards/priests, and things you can't reasonably pick off one on one. Don't be afraid to duke it out unarmed right from the start, and remember to throw things at people - hobgoblins should always be a net gain in potions ;)

Handy trick for getting out of fights you didn't know you were going to lose: target the square diagonally behind your enemy, who will hopefully get caught in the corner of the blast, giving you time to run away.

I love the early Transmuter game!

For this message the author joellercoaster has received thanks: 2
MyOtheHedgeFox, tcjsavannah

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Tuesday, 1st March 2011, 23:22

Gabriellk wrote:Why would you use a weapon being a transmuter?

Because I'm tired of dying to hobgoblins and kobolds with short swords on D:1.

joellercoaster wrote:One big tip if you are playing with Chei and are having trouble with the Lair, is do Hive first. You get a stack of Chei piety, Ice Beasts eat bee corspes like popcorn (to coin a phrase) plus you'll be a bit tougher in general when you start meeting yaks - possibly to the point of Blade Hands (which are definitely the right thing for Komodo Dragons - they're just bastards in general).

Thanks.. I wouldn't have thought about this because I'm just conditioned now to go Lair first. I guess I just need to throw trash more and do more luring of early level mobs into corridors and the like. But I'll try this out next.
  Code:

Zot Zealot

Post Wednesday, 2nd March 2011, 13:13

Also: don't forget Sticks to Snakes!

It's not useful for very long, but having around for marginal fights can be a massive help. And save the potions.

(Then you briefly rediscover it later in the game and have black mambas etc on tap, which isn't actually that useful but it is cool.)

Zot Zealot

Post Wednesday, 2nd March 2011, 14:08

OK, not vital for very long. And some games you just find you don't need it - but I always learn it because when you do, you really do.

I admit I used it a lot last time because I just liked having them around, though - I described it as 'a poor man's Summon Butterflies' :)

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 2nd March 2011, 14:30

Sticks to Snakes is a decent way to deal with imps in the early going (pre-Ice Form), since nothing you can Evaporate will do anything to an imp and Spider Form is playing a game of EV Chicken. Even small snakes can hit often enough to whittle an imp down, though.

(This is assuming you don't just lure the imp upstairs and park it there.)
You fall off the wall. You have a feeling of ineptitude.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Wednesday, 2nd March 2011, 14:33

Sticks to snakes is also your best way to victory dance pure transmutations, if you don't want to risk splashing too much into necro, ice, poison, etc....

Temple Termagant

Post Wednesday, 2nd March 2011, 19:45

mrbobbyg wrote:Sticks to snakes is also your best way to victory dance pure transmutations, if you don't want to risk splashing too much into necro, ice, poison, etc....

While that is true in the current stable version (0.7), it isn't any more. Sticks to snakes is the best way to victory dance transmutations now. Lvl 2 Transmutation now, instead of transmutation/summoning.

The current fad going around is OgTm. really big sticks (GSC and regular giant clubs) get stronger snakes, and I've heard that it's a workable combo. I think I saw somebody quote the wiki earlier in the thread? Don't believe a word of it. The wiki is full of outdated information, opinions, and some information that is just plain wrong. Speaking in general terms, anyway.

And about using weapons as a transmuter? The early game is hard, no doubt, but unarmed combat damage is astronomical. It falters a bit around Lair, but it is extremely strong once you're into the midgame.
Also I ♥ transmuters. Blade hands is so deliciously overpowered.

Has anybody here tried a DrTm, and gone for Dragon form? The damage is just silly. And you get to keep your color!

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Thursday, 3rd March 2011, 14:49

I tried a Merfolk transmuter and skipped Spider Form and Ice Form and went straight for blade hands.. until the Lair:2 stairs dropped me right next to a Hydra, it was doing pretty well. That +4 aptitude in transmutation is excellent. The Demigod stats are good as well but I start itching when I have to bypass the temple.

Still trying to get a tm far. Maybe I'll try the Ogre. Which race has the best Necro/Transmutation aptitude combo?
  Code:

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 3rd March 2011, 15:13

tcjsavannah wrote:I tried a Merfolk transmuter and skipped Spider Form and Ice Form and went straight for blade hands.. until the Lair:2 stairs dropped me right next to a Hydra, it was doing pretty well. That +4 aptitude in transmutation is excellent. The Demigod stats are good as well but I start itching when I have to bypass the temple.

Still trying to get a tm far. Maybe I'll try the Ogre. Which race has the best Necro/Transmutation aptitude combo?

From the wiki, pretty good Necro/Transmutation combos are:

Deep Elf: 2 Nec, 1 Trm
Sludge Elf: 1 Nec, 3 Trm
Vampire: 1 Nec, 1 Trm (but you need to keep your satiation up to use forms, and if you're thinking Necromutation just go bloodless instead)
Humans/Nagas/Draconians: 0 Nec, 0 Trm
Demonspawn/Deep Dwarf: 1 Nec, -1Trm
Spriggan: -1Nec, 3 Trm

Mines Malingerer

Post Monday, 25th April 2011, 19:40

I've occasionally been trying Troll Transmuters -- don't need weapons, and Evaporate gives the Troll a lot more flexibility. (And strength means no worried about carrying lots of ammo!) So far it's mostly been a one-trick caster, but you could add more spells later.

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 26th April 2011, 17:37

I think SETr of Chei are the most flavourful combination in the game and fun as well. They are interesting and offer unique challenges and opportunities. Things can get hairy in some places like the final Elf or Shoals but the combination can be very powerful. Just managed to clear a zig with one without any mass conjurations or haste.

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 29th April 2011, 21:03

Can someone tell me why transmuters have such a low winning ratio? Granted, I never got one past the midgame myself, but they don't seem underpowered at all and their starting book is rather neat. Also, miasma cloud is pure awesome.

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 30th April 2011, 07:25

I've been infatuated with Spriggan Transmuters for some time now. Of course they have their disadvantages (size, strength, mali to some spellcasting schools, Chei doesn't really like them, etc.) but they make the early game incredibly easy since you can keep your throwing distance without wasting mana for spidey form. That and good stabbing aptitudes.

Blades Runner

Post Saturday, 30th April 2011, 18:17

Try a CeTr! They're very quick and hit (and kick!) hard, can carry potions to evaporate, and train bows very quickly. Hunger in the early game is an issue but I've never starved to death. Train spellcasting and transmutations when you have backup chunks. The forms will come online slowly but your hooves and you bow make up for it.

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 6th May 2011, 00:50

Transmutes are an old favorite of mine, though I haven't played them much since before I got good at the game (supporting minmay's claim I suppose :p).

The first time I made if to Zot was with a MfCr of Sif. I shifted from unarmed to polearms after I cleared (drowned / stabbed) a gnoll castle, eschewed the forms and blade hands entirely, and relied heavily on evaporation for confusion-stabbing, poison, and other damage over time effects, sticks to snakes for the usual reasons, and spent my remaining spell slots on enchantment, ice and tmut based buffs (back before I knew condensation shield sucked).

Lately I'm fooling around with DrTms. I'd like to figure out the more 'traditional' transmuter, and have recently come to discover the joy that is turning yourself into a giant spider and ripping a pack of enemies apart (In the old days I was scared off of spider form form an early mishap- once I cast it to try and escape, only to discover it weakened me, and got overburdened and killed). Also, I've wanted to check out the new and improved draconian for a while, not to mention dragon form.

Questions:

If I plan on using the forms, is blade hands still a good idea? You can't use both at the same time.

Is picking up a buckler/shield a good idea? Obviously, there's some penalty to unarmed combat, but is the added survivability worth it? It was certainly worth giving up two handed swords with my earlier mele hybrids.

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 7th May 2011, 04:15

Well, yes, blade hands is technically a form, but in my head I kinda see it as something different than the others. It doesn't alter your speed, your hp, your evasion or ac, it doesn't have a brand associated with it, come with special attacks, abilities or resistances, it doesn't require you to meld armor... . It therefore seems to me that the strategic calculus of is different, since the trade offs for casting it are so radically divergent from the others. Semantics, though.

Has anyone tried condensation shield since it was improved? With tmut / ice, it looks like it would go wonderfully with an ice form reliant transmuter...

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Saturday, 7th May 2011, 13:41

Blade hands is basically vital to a tmut imo. Most of your potential damage output comes from blade hands.

As for shields, I never leave home without them. A buckler can be the difference between victory and yakataur captain pincushion. I tend to play naga tm though, so that may change the calculus, as it's a lot less exp to dump.

Zot Zealot

Post Tuesday, 14th June 2011, 20:25

I would just like to request, at this point, that the top tile designers all over the world get together immediately and fix the lack of Octopode-specific Blade Hands tile. I mean, an opportunity for such awesomeness doesn't come along every day :D

Joel
Got an OcTm going just to see what it looked like, now XL13 and thinking Wizmode would have been a better way but having far too much fun to stop :P

Zot Zealot

Post Friday, 17th June 2011, 08:29

Notes so far on Octopode Transmuters:

The early game is about the same as usual. Train up Unarmed on the weak, confuse the strong with Evaporate.

Starting around the Lair though, your lack of AC starts becoming a pain - anything you melee tears delicious octopus strips off you - spending a lot of time in Ice Form mitigates it a bit (especially fighting swarms of bees etc) but you seem to spend a lot of time low on HP (Makhleb helps, but not enough). This means it's more important than ever to know when to turn into a spider and flee.

Blade Hands is even more glass cannon-y than usual. The combo with Confusing Touch and Phase Shift is helpful though, hopefully allowing one to dish out enough punishment to finish the battle before that Hill Giant lands a lucky shot with his GSC. Have been trying to train Dodging too but it's not super effective yet, I still get hit a lot more than I'd like.

The flexible apts give you lots of options to adapt to your spellbook finds though, and great Stealth will allow you to pick your battles. I suspect playing a stabby Octopode Enchanter could be a very strong character. The midgame seems to be getting easier now that I have some decent backup skills and a buckler (famous last words). Haven't seen a ring of evasion, protection or slaying yet but I'm really pleased with the large assortment of other jewellery I'm allowed to wear.

Speaking of Makhleb, Minor Destruction is neat - previous Tm games have had frustrating periods of shredding things with Blade Hands, only to see them freak out and hop off into the depths of the Lair to heal again. This game, not so much 8) Haven't used any of His other abilities at all, gradually getting Invocations up to a level where Greater Servant is not a terrible idea though.

Being able to swim is nice since the game has generated Swamp and Shoals :)

Anyway, loving the high damage hit-and-run play style so far. All advice welcome.

Zot Zealot

Post Friday, 17th June 2011, 10:56

Bugger - got munched at XL15 by a hydra lurking by some stairs in the Swamp when I ran the wrong way. The fragility thing is hard to deal with! It was certainly YASD and avoidable, but you have to be so wary - the balance between brave enough to get close to things to hurt them, and timid enough to know when to run, is a fine one. In this case I was caught in two minds, and when the first round of combat went against me I was in trouble.

Still, OcTm fun! Will be trying again at some point.

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 17th June 2011, 11:12

i got mine chewed out by aizul (with no rPois). i found a +2 hat of intelligence via gastronok, which was nice, and the mask of the dragon not much later on, which was nicer, but meant going back to AC 1 (at XL 15). no rings of protection, a +3 ring of evasion, and no spells to enhance it. fine as long as i could kill anything from a distance with conjurations, but tough otherwise.

a lot of fun though. i'll play a transmuter sometime soon. i always have problems with them because i don't deal well with low AC in forms, but it won't be a problem here. :)

i was about to suggest to enhance their natural AC with XL, but it may dilute the appeal and it wouldn't help all that much either.
Wins: DDBe (3 runes, morgue file)

kev

Temple Termagant

Post Saturday, 18th June 2011, 14:50

So, i have this quite nice SeTm of Okawaru in trunk and i can't really decide for an endgame god (want to try 15 runes). I cleared vaults/elf/swamp/snake and just found an altar of jiyva @slime:6 (iceform totaly pwns slime btw). So should i switch to jiyva? i have the resist mutation mutation though and don't know how much the res mut mutation interferes with jiyva. I also have a treasure trove which requires 2 clear mutations potions available (have none atm), so i could save those for the trove. What are other options? TSO? Ash?

Code:
 Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.9-a1-539-g4c0d231 character file.

Fudge the Acrobat (Sludge Elf Transmuter)                                                                                                          Turns: 84306, Time: 07:50:09

HP 189/189       AC 23     Str 20      Exp: 26/910062 (3552), need: 107537
MP  27/38        EV 31     Int 27      God: Okawaru [*****.]
Gold 2606        SH 40     Dex 18      Spells: 14 memorised,  5 levels left

Res.Fire  : . . .   See Invis. : +      - Unarmed
Res.Cold  : . . .   Warding    : + .  H - +4 robe of Night {+Inv MR SInv Stlth++}
Life Prot.: + . .   Conserve   : .    J - +15 shield "Bullseye" {EV-5}
Res.Acid. : . . .   Res.Corr.  : .    A - +2 helmet {Int+3} {god gift}
Res.Poison: +       Clarity    : .    e - +2 cloak "Zihaetoa" {god gift, Str+3 Int+4
Res.Elec. : .       Spirit.Shd : .    U - +2 pair of gauntlets {Str+3} {god gift}
Sust.Abil.: . .     Stasis     : .    s - +2 pair of boots {Lev} {god gift}
Res.Mut.  : .       Ctrl.Telep.: .    M - brooch of Shielding {Ward AC+4 EV+4}
Res.Rott. : .       Levitation : +    I - ring of wizardry
Saprovore : . . .   Ctrl.Flight: +    u - +4,+4 ring of slaying

@: flying, very slightly glowing, hasted, heroism, very quick, extremely resistant to hostile enchantments, extraordinarily stealthy
A: -10% mp, mutation resistance 1, poison resistance, slowness 1
a: Heroism, Finesse, Renounce Religion, Evoke Invisibility, Evoke Levitation, Stop Levitating

You are on level 6 of the Pits of Slime.
You worship Okawaru.
Okawaru is exalted by your worship.
You are not hungry.

You have visited 10 branches of the dungeon, and seen 68 of its levels.
You have visited the Abyss 1 time.
You have visited 1 Labyrinth.
You have visited 1 bazaar.
You have visited 2 portal chambers: ice cave, wizlab.

You have collected 6351 gold pieces.
You have spent 3765 gold pieces at shops.

Inventory:

Hand weapons
 R - the +3,+1 short sword of Pride {speed, rF+ rC+ Dex-1 Int-2}
   (You found it on level 3 of the Snake Pit)   

Attacks with this weapon take half as long, but cause less damage.

It affects your intelligence (-2).
   It affects your dexterity (-1).
   It protects you from fire.
   It protects you from cold.
Armour
 c - the +3 robe of Clouds {+Lev rElec}
   (You took it off a wizard in The Chambers of Crepealiu the Cloud Mage)   

It insulates you from electricity.
   It lets you levitate.
 e - the +2 cloak "Zihaetoa" (worn) {god gift, Str+3 Int+4}
   (Okawaru gifted it to you on level 8 of the Lair of Beasts)   

It affects your strength (+3).
   It affects your intelligence (+4).
 n - a +1 cloak of preservation
 s - a +2 pair of boots of levitation (worn) {god gift}
 A - a +2 helmet of intelligence (worn) {god gift}
 H - the +4 robe of Night (worn) {+Inv MR SInv Stlth++}
   (You found it on level 4 of the Dungeon)   

It increases your resistance to enchantments.
   It enhances your eyesight.
   It lets you turn invisible.
   It makes you much more stealthy.

According to legend, this robe was the gift of Ratri the Goddess of the
   Night to one of her followers.
 J - the +15 shield "Bullseye" (worn) {EV-5}
   (You bought it in a shop on level 4 of the Orcish Mines)   

It affects your evasion (-5).
 U - a +2 pair of gauntlets of strength (worn) {god gift}
Magical devices
 j - a wand of digging (9)
 q - a wand of teleportation (6)
 z - a wand of hasting (8)
Comestibles
 C - 3 bread rations
 L - 4 royal jellies
Scrolls
 g - 3 scrolls of fog
 p - a scroll of fear
 y - a scroll of magic mapping
 D - 5 scrolls of blinking
 S - 4 scrolls of remove curse
 T - 3 scrolls of teleportation
Jewellery
 f - an uncursed ring of protection from magic
 m - the amulet of Shrudwyal {Spirit +Rage +Inv rF++ rN+ SInv}
   (You found it on level 5 of the Elven Halls)   

[amulet of guardian spirit]

It greatly protects you from fire.
   It protects you from negative energy.
   It enhances your eyesight.
   It lets you turn invisible.
   It lets you go berserk.
 u - a +4,+4 ring of slaying (left hand)
 x - an uncursed ring of teleport control
 I - a ring of wizardry (right hand)
 M - the brooch of Shielding (around neck) {Ward AC+4 EV+4}
   (You bought it in a shop on level 1 of the Elven Halls)   

[amulet of warding]

It affects your AC (+4).
   It affects your evasion (+4).

Back in the good old days, every adventurer had one of these handy devices.
   That, and a pony.
 O - an uncursed ring of life protection
 Z - an uncursed amulet of the gourmand
Potions
 a - 4 potions of speed
 i - 2 potions of magic
 o - 2 potions of healing
 t - 5 potions of poison
 v - 3 potions of resistance
 B - 5 potions of confusion
 F - 4 potions of degeneration
 G - 4 potions of agility
 K - a potion of decay
 P - 2 potions of mutation
 Q - 2 potions of heal wounds
 W - a potion of might
Magical staves
 b - an uncursed staff of air

You have 3552 experience left.

Skills:
 + Level 19(24) Fighting
 + Level 22(27) Dodging
 + Level 13(18) Stealth
 - Level 6(11) Stabbing
 + Level 6(11) Shields
 + Level 5(10) Traps & Doors
 - Level 19(24) Unarmed Combat
 + Level 15 Spellcasting
 + Level 11 Charms
 - Level 6 Necromancy
 - Level 6 Translocations
 - Level 16 Transmutations
 - Level 2 Fire Magic
 + Level 6 Ice Magic
 + Level 11 Air Magic
 - Level 2 Poison Magic
 + Level 5 Invocations
 - Level 2 Evocations

You have 5 spell levels left.
You know the following spells:

Your Spells              Type           Power        Success   Level  Hunger
a - Evaporate             Fire/Trmt      #######...   Excellent   2    None
b - Fulsome Distillation  Trmt/Necr      N/A          Excellent   1    None
c - Swiftness             Air/Chrm       #######...   Excellent   2    None
d - Blink                 Tloc           N/A          Excellent   2    None
e - Haste                 Chrm           #######..    Excellent   6    Honeycomb
f - Control Teleport      Chrm/Tloc      #######...   Excellent   4    None
i - Deflect Missiles      Air/Chrm       #######...   Excellent   6    Honeycomb
k - Repel Missiles        Air/Chrm       #######...   Excellent   2    None
q - Airstrike             Air            #######...   Excellent   4    None
r - Silence               Air/Chrm       #######...   Excellent   5    None
s - Ice Form              Ice/Trmt       #######...   Excellent   4    None
v - Flight                Air/Chrm       #######...   Excellent   4    None
w - Blade Hands           Trmt           ########..   Excellent   5    None
x - Ozocubu's Armour      Ice/Chrm       #######...   Excellent   3    None

Dungeon Overview and Level Annotations

Branches:
Dungeon (24/27)            Temple (1/1) D:7             Orc (4/4) D:6
    Elf (5/5) Orc:4          Lair (8/8) D:11          Swamp (5/5) Lair:5
  Slime (6/6) Lair:6        Snake (5/5) Lair:6         Hive (2/2) D:14
  Vault (8/8) D:16          Blade (0/1) Vault:6       Crypt (0/5) Vault:4

Altars:
Elyvilon
Fedhas
Makhleb
Nemelex Xobeh
Okawaru
The Shining One
Trog
Vehumet
Yredelemnul
Jiyva

Shops:
D:5: =  D:6: ([  D:10: ?  D:16: ?  D:22: *  Orc:4: ([(?  Elf:1: +==([  Elf:2: /(/  Elf:3: =  Snake:1: (  Snake:4: [  Snake:5: [  Vault:3: %  Vault:4: +  Vault:5: [
Vault:7: *

Portals:
Hell: D:21 D:22 D:23 D:24 Lair:8
Abyss: D:22 D:23 D:24
Pan: D:23 D:24
Trove: D:17 (give 2 potions of cure mutation)

Annotations
D:13 exclusion: oklob plant
Lair:2 exclusion: oklob plant
Snake:2 exclusion: door
Hive:2 exclusion: 4 oklob plants
Vault:3 1 exclusion
Vault:6 1 exclusion

Innate Abilities, Weirdness & Mutations

Your magical capacity is low (-10% MP).
You are somewhat resistant to further mutation.
Your system is resistant to poisons.
You cover ground slowly.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Saturday, 18th June 2011, 23:17

Had a recent run with a centaur transmuter, based on the theory that hooves + blade hands = awesome unarmed damage.

But I ran into a lot of trouble with both AC and EV being crappy due to the centaur's poor aptitudes for dodging and armour etc. I could do a lot of damage, but almost every attack hit me as well. The low spellcasting apt didn't help either, as every cast of blade hands or ice form cost a lot of food, which was only made worse by the fast metabolism.

Eventually died on Crypt:5 fighting an ancient lich when I should have run away, but I'd kind of run out of options as to where to go next, and crypt seemed more survivable than the alternatives.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Sunday, 26th June 2011, 19:03

Where's the love for naga transmuter? These babies walk through clouds of vile fumes like nothing.

Halls Hopper

Post Tuesday, 28th June 2011, 20:21

is there something wrong with Demonspawn Transmuter in 0.9?
Im at XL7 and victory danced nearly all of my XP into transmutations an I am still only level 5.
Am I imagening things, or is does it take way longer in 0.9 than in 0.8?

edit: there must be something wrong .. i just victorydanced 150XP into transmutations and it went from 5.5 to 5.7.
And I i dont have many skills .. spellcasting 3, unarmed 3, dodging 4 ..

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 28th June 2011, 21:00

MonorailCat wrote:is there something wrong with Demonspawn Transmuter in 0.9?
Im at XL7 and victory danced nearly all of my XP into transmutations an I am still only level 5.
Am I imagening things, or is does it take way longer in 0.9 than in 0.8?

edit: there must be something wrong .. i just victorydanced 150XP into transmutations and it went from 5.5 to 5.7.
And I i dont have many skills .. spellcasting 3, unarmed 3, dodging 4 ..

Dump and post your character. Not that I can analyze it, nor am I volunteering others to do so, but it might help.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Halls Hopper

Post Tuesday, 28th June 2011, 22:12

minmay wrote:5.5 to 5.7 is what I'd expect from that XP at that stage. There's nothing wrong.

ok then i imagined things. I just felt so weak at this stage.
XL8 and Spider Form barely at Good with Unarmed 3.
Seems like DSTm has a hard beginning ...

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 28th June 2011, 23:20

MonorailCat wrote:ok then i imagined things.

Or not. Skill costs have been changed a bit. Looks like you're experiencing the effect of the second change.
Next

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice