Should I just quit?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Sewers Scotsman

Post Saturday, 12th May 2012, 12:50

Should I just quit?

I thought this question was too small to need its own thread but I am obliged to start one for it.

I'm playing an XL2 MiBe, I'm on DL1, and I've just put on a cursed -6 ring of intelligence. I know Crawl doesn't have many totally unavoidable deaths, and of course you might suggest I don't ID jewellery by putting it on in future, and there's a chance I'll find a remove curse scroll before I die (I don't know how long that is: Henzell just says "eventually"); in any case, in this instance:

Should I just quit?

Pandemonium Purger

Post Saturday, 12th May 2012, 13:16

Re: Should I just quit?

Confidence Interval wrote:I thought this question was too small to need its own thread but I am obliged to start one for it.

I'm playing an XL2 MiBe, I'm on DL1, and I've just put on a cursed -6 ring of intelligence. I know Crawl doesn't have many totally unavoidable deaths, and of course you might suggest I don't ID jewellery by putting it on in future, and there's a chance I'll find a remove curse scroll before I die (I don't know how long that is: Henzell just says "eventually"); in any case, in this instance:

Should I just quit?

Remove curse is probably the most common scroll in the dungeon. Read all unknown and {tried} scrolls until they succeed (20% chance per attempt) and then go look for more.

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 12th May 2012, 15:08

So you have 0 or less int?

Just keep going. You'll find remove curse or be dead in short order. I mean, it's one of the most common scrolls in the game, and you only have like a five minute window to look anyways.

Blades Runner

Post Saturday, 12th May 2012, 19:51

Well, considering you're at XL2 with a MiBe, you honestly aren't losing anything. You will be back to XL2 in what, 45 seconds?

Like they said, read all your scrolls. I suppose you've thought about that already, so meh. Considering you're probably a better/more experienced crawl player then me, I think you have a good idea of what your choices are :lol:

Sewers Scotsman

Post Sunday, 13th May 2012, 11:00

Thanks all. I didn't have any remove curse scrolls and didn't find any in the short period before I died.

In an excellent instance of RNG humour, however, the one potion I found and glugged before I died was a potion of gain intelligence (which, unlike a remove curse scroll, is a pretty rare item) - so I died because of intelligence of -1 instead of -2.

Halls Hopper

Post Sunday, 13th May 2012, 11:16

Xoms power is strong within you

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Sunday, 13th May 2012, 13:10

Deimos wrote:Well, considering you're at XL2 with a MiBe, you honestly aren't losing anything. You will be back to XL2 in what, 45 seconds?

Like they said, read all your scrolls. I suppose you've thought about that already, so meh. Considering you're probably a better/more experienced crawl player then me, I think you have a good idea of what your choices are :lol:

I thought you can't even read scrolls when you are on negative intelligence.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Sunday, 13th May 2012, 13:14

AIAndy wrote:
Deimos wrote:Well, considering you're at XL2 with a MiBe, you honestly aren't losing anything. You will be back to XL2 in what, 45 seconds?

They fail 80% of the time, as though you had a high level blurry eyes mutation

Sewers Scotsman

Post Sunday, 13th May 2012, 17:06

Patashu wrote:
AIAndy wrote:

They fail 80% of the time, as though you had a high level blurry eyes mutation

That sounds right - I did manage to read the one scroll I had but it took a few attempts. (In further great Xom-slapstick style, it was detect curse.)

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 13th May 2012, 17:24

Speaking of detect curse, I dont think I've ever used one intentionally. There are already enough remove curse and id scrolls in the dungeon for me not to have to worry about detecting curses.

Sewers Scotsman

Post Sunday, 13th May 2012, 20:01

I often use them when I've one or more new items I want to try and I don't have enough ID scrolls. I usually want to preserve my remove curse scrolls. You can die through not having a remove curse scroll (see above) but not directly through not having detect curse - and since you get cursed in various ways, including through mummy death curses, it's good to have some RC scrolls to spare.

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 13th May 2012, 20:41

I use detect curse fairly often, once I have a few items to be tested. I don't go for the tedious (and definitely not even optimal in the larger sense) strategy of testing 51 items at a time, more like 2-5.
Won all race/bg, unwon (online): Nem* Hep Uka
Favourites: 15-rune Trog, OgNe/OgIE/OgSu (usually Ash), Ds, Ru, SpEn, Ce of Chei, Qaz

Eringya's Employee

Post Sunday, 13th May 2012, 21:27

Initially when I read the title I thought you were asking whether to quit the game in general or not. This is quite disappointing. :P Anyway, unless you're attempting a streak (and people who want to streak play much more careful than that obviously :P ) just kill the bastard off or struggle through your scrolls for a RC one. Exploration for new scrolls is kind of prohibitive but it's there as a last resort... :P
MuCK;
  Code:
612 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Slain by a gnoll

Sewers Scotsman

Post Monday, 14th May 2012, 06:12

TehDruid wrote:Initially when I read the title I thought you were asking whether to quit the game in general or not. This is quite disappointing. :P

I am happy to receive comments on the broader issue.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice