question about general necromancer gameplay

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Mines Malingerer

Post Saturday, 28th April 2012, 01:42

question about general necromancer gameplay

recently i tried some HONes, and found myself playing like a melee-necromancy hybrid all the time.
in other words, did not learn any of the animating spells.
is this normal to play a necromancer like a melee hybrid? or is it the "right way" to animate corpses?

Abyss Ambulator

Post Saturday, 28th April 2012, 01:44

Re: question about general necromancer gameplay

Yeah, necromancer is typically hybrid. I almost never use dead animation spells just because they're fiddly.

Mines Malingerer

Post Saturday, 28th April 2012, 01:46

what about twisted ressurection? is it worth learning and casting?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 28th April 2012, 02:12

snmjk20 wrote:what about twisted ressurection? is it worth learning and casting?

It's more worth it now because you don't have to make piles of bodies; they all just crawl together, and abominations can travel levels, but I have found that by the time you get Twisted Resurrection useful, the Abominations have outlived (no pun) their usefulness.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Blades Runner

Post Saturday, 28th April 2012, 02:39

Aboms are good for lair, orc, maybe swamp. After that they start getting creamed.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 28th April 2012, 05:08

Twisted res is very powerful but excruciatingly tedious, so I don't use it.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 28th April 2012, 06:07

crate wrote:Twisted res is very powerful but excruciatingly tedious, so I don't use it.

Are you referring to the old, tedious version that required stacking corpses in a pile, or the new, current one which tries to animate all corpses in view into crawling corpses to crawl to each other?

Because casting it now on a field of dead bodies isn't tedious at all and zero busy work vs. the old version. The resulting monsters are still, well, what was said earlier about the abominations.

Maybe if you have Kiku for rapid corpse delivery and the Haste or other enhancer spells ready, it might be OK at times to trash a stair dance.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 28th April 2012, 07:02

Necromancers are hybrids: getting a pain brand on your choice of top tier weapon is what necromancy (with Kiku) is all about.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 28th April 2012, 10:52

Rapigel wrote:Necromancers are hybrids: getting a pain brand on your choice of top tier weapon is what necromancy (with Kiku) is all about.

replace "top tier weapon" with "fast weapon" and "Necromancers" with "Kikubaaqudgha worshippers" and you're right, no reason to start Ne if you're going Kikubaaqudgha anyway

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 28th April 2012, 12:47

XuaXua wrote:
crate wrote:Twisted res is very powerful but excruciatingly tedious, so I don't use it.

Are you referring to the old, tedious version that required stacking corpses in a pile, or the new, current one which tries to animate all corpses in view into crawling corpses to crawl to each other?

The tedium comes from shepherding around your little flock of flesh. It's like playing a summoner, but worse.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 28th April 2012, 14:44

BlackSheep wrote:
XuaXua wrote:

The tedium comes from shepherding around your little flock of flesh. It's like playing a summoner, but worse.

They are pretty slow (or fast depending on the composition), aren't they?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 28th April 2012, 19:49

It's basically yred tedium but way worse.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 28th April 2012, 21:05

I honestly prefer Animate Dead over Twisted Resurrection. It's quicker to get the skills you need to take it online, and zombies from death yaks and hydrae are perfectly competitive with abominations as meatshields and extra damage. There's no frustration when they get themselves killed, since the fact that they won't follow you through stairs means they are completely expendable anyway, and even as late as Zot a single surviving draconian zombie trailing along after you can hold that orb of fire in your escape corridor long enough to break LOS. Midway between, giant or dragon zombies are pretty solid minions. Abominations are clearly superior when you are in an area where there's a lot of low-quality corpses to work with, most particularly Orc, but I don't usually find that I have nine whole spells slots to spend on making undead minions.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice