GhFi with shields question

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 25th April 2012, 13:51

GhFi with shields question

Should I use the starting shield fighters get as an unarmed character? I have heard a buckler was mandatory, but was never sure about a large shield. Thanks in advance!

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 25th April 2012, 15:24

Re: GhFi with shields question

Don't use the starting shield. You don't have the skill to use it.
What made you happy today?
Shatari wrote:I traded a goat for a Nintendo DS XL, and a ton of games.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 25th April 2012, 18:02

I assume you're starting with a regular shield as a fighter. You might want to take it off for the first 3-4 dungeon levels, but I have often left it on, and it's not that bad. The first few ranks of shields have the most impact, and you should start with 2.something skill level right at the start. You still want to train unarmed more than shields, but once UC gets up to 8-10, you could put a few more levels into shield.

Basically yes, you want the shield, but it's slightly less important than training unarmed, and until you have the shield skill, you will dodge less, attack somewhat slower, etc. Raising shields to 15 will fix all this, and that's what you want in the end (unless you go to 25 for a large shield, which is viable but a lot of exp and definitely late game only). If you take it off for a while to get more damage first, put it back on around the time you reach lair. Finding a random buckler would make it easier to train early on, but you can train with a regular shield once you're a bit higher up no problem.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 25th April 2012, 18:24

Personally I would take it off till UC is at 10, go Okawaru and get Shields 10 under Okawaru while spamming Heroism. Then UC 15, some fighting and armour, and then fully negate the shield penalties.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice