Leveling Transmuters

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Temple Termagant

Post Saturday, 21st April 2012, 04:00

Leveling Transmuters

So, I've been running DrTm and after about 30 splats I've yet to get to lair. This is the only combination that is like this for me, even Ogre Wanderer and Mummy Monk get to Lair more reliably.

So yeah, do I focus Unarmed, or Transmutations for Spider Form?
Is spellcasting worth it early, is dodging or fighting?

Orc Priests are the big ones. often I seem to run into them D3->D5 when Spider Form is at ~25% fail(if I rush Trans), but even when I cast spider form and charger at them (Priest alone) The 10 damage smite just eats me alive (~30 hp w/o fighting bonuses) Do I just run from them?

Blades Runner

Post Saturday, 21st April 2012, 04:38

Re: Leveling Transmuters

Jiokuy wrote:So, I've been running DrTm and after about 30 splats I've yet to get to lair. This is the only combination that is like this for me, even Ogre Wanderer and Mummy Monk get to Lair more reliably.

So yeah, do I focus Unarmed, or Transmutations for Spider Form?
Is spellcasting worth it early, is dodging or fighting?

Orc Priests are the big ones. often I seem to run into them D3->D5 when Spider Form is at ~25% fail(if I rush Trans), but even when I cast spider form and charger at them (Priest alone) The 10 damage smite just eats me alive (~30 hp w/o fighting bonuses) Do I just run from them?

Yeah I wouldn't fight orc priests until about 40 hp. Even then, make sure you lure to a corner for ambush, so you're not eating smite while you close distance. Definitely get spider form castable because it gives you escape option plus offense boost. I would leave off dodging for sure, probably fighting... spellcasting i'm still not sure. Personally I go Unarmed and Transmutations only for the beginning. Don't forget to use sticks to snakes... the summons might seem weak but everything else is weak too, so 2 or 3 snakes plus you is enough to take most things in early dungeon, even orc warriors/priests and ogres because they get poisoned. Slings, wands and poison needles are all helpful as well during the vulnerable early stages.
Last edited by moocowmoocow on Saturday, 21st April 2012, 05:14, edited 1 time in total.

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 21st April 2012, 05:06

I find it best to just focus nothing but Unarmed until level 3 when you actually memorize Spider Form. Depending on your aptitudes and stats at this point, your failure rate could be anywhere from 38% - 72%. I usually then train pure Transmutations until I'm around 47% failure, then resume Unarmed. Having a high failure for spider form is bad, of course, but usually you can see threats from far away enough to duck behind a corner and cast Spider Form until you get it ready. I would ignore Dodging, Fighting, Spellcasting, and Poison Magic.
TrCK:
Xom grants you an implement of some kind.
_Something appears at your feet!
4790 gold pieces {god gift}.

DsAr:
You blink. You feel slightly more hungry. Prince Ribbit hits you. You die...
"Hey, that's my toy!"
Xom revives you!

Abyss Ambulator

Post Saturday, 21st April 2012, 05:22

Elynae wrote:Skill build for me would usually be this:
Transmutations till Spider Form (very good early on)
Unarmed till 10
Transmutations/Ice/Spellcasting (not at the same time) till Ice Form
Unarmed till 15
Fighting till 10

and then either Dodging or UC, probably the former.

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 21st April 2012, 18:05

For my past few DrTm, I focused on both unarmed and transmutation and just left spellcasting on to keep hunger in check as I used higher and higher level spells. I leave it like this until I get both unarmed and transmutations to 10. Always works like a charm.
Mixing up spider form, snakes and early launchers, it is easy to survive.
And don't fight other monsters while orc priest is around.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 21st April 2012, 19:00

tormodpwns wrote:I find it best to just focus nothing but Unarmed until level 3 when you actually memorize Spider Form. Depending on your aptitudes and stats at this point, your failure rate could be anywhere from 38% - 72%. I usually then train pure Transmutations until I'm around 47% failure, then resume Unarmed. Having a high failure for spider form is bad, of course, but usually you can see threats from far away enough to duck behind a corner and cast Spider Form until you get it ready. I would ignore Dodging, Fighting, Spellcasting, and Poison Magic.

One level of Poison Magic never hurts.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice