Which is the best Race for a Hunter

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Lair Larrikin

Post Monday, 7th February 2011, 09:38

Which is the best Race for a Hunter

I love hunters - hitting things from afar is fun!

So far I've played Mountain Dwarf Hunters of Oka, which are quite good, but I wonder if any of the other races (and gods) makes a good hunter as well.

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 7th February 2011, 09:39

Re: Which is the best Race for a Hunter

Try a centaur with a bow, a halfling with a sling, or an Ogre with large rocks.
... and forgive us our YASDs,
As we forgive our developers,
And lead us not into the Abyss,
But deliver us from Sigmund,
For Thine is the Roguelike,
the Orb and the Victory,
now and forever.

For this message the author Zicher has received thanks:
golan2072

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 7th February 2011, 10:23

I'd go for a halfling hunter of okawaru (or trog, you decide) for a good sling + tons of ammo.

For this message the author Jenx has received thanks:
golan2072

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 7th February 2011, 21:25

Yeah, halfling hunters are one of my favourite classes. They have a really good synergy of shields + slings + short blades + stealth + stabbing + dodging. Their starting sling is really powerful, it's just hard to train fighting when instead of softening things up you are one-shotting them with your sling all the time. And, it actually makes all those sling bullet gifts worthwhile!

For this message the author danr has received thanks:
golan2072

Mines Malingerer

Post Monday, 7th February 2011, 21:28

IMO Trog is MUCH better than Okawaru for a ranged user because he is much more likely to gift ammo, having his gifts limited to weapons and ammo only. MDHu of Trog was my first ranged win, but a Spriggan Hunter is sick nasty as well (my 2nd ranged win).

If you play online trunk, Mountain Dwarf Hunter is crazy hard to kill with the buffs to armor (you should be raising str for xbows anyway).
Arsenal FC...I'm a gooner.

For this message the author colma has received thanks:
golan2072

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 7th February 2011, 21:48

I've been considering that combo as well since all my ranged users always end up with slings due to the shield+sling combo and I've been meaning to give crossbows a try. So aside from Str, should I bother putting any points into dexterity at all or just keep pumping str? (And I'm still not sure - does heavy armor like scale and plate reduce the attack speed with ranged weapons or not?)

Mines Malingerer

Post Monday, 7th February 2011, 21:53

Jenx wrote:I've been considering that combo as well since all my ranged users always end up with slings due to the shield+sling combo and I've been meaning to give crossbows a try. So aside from Str, should I bother putting any points into dexterity at all or just keep pumping str? (And I'm still not sure - does heavy armor like scale and plate reduce the attack speed with ranged weapons or not?)

I won with it wearing some kind of plate I believe, so the penalty (whatever it is) wasn't too terrible :lol:.

But the str weight of xbows is 80% vs. the 20%/30% of bows so I just went all str.
Arsenal FC...I'm a gooner.

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 8th February 2011, 15:04

I won with a 3-rune crossbow user who Xbowed most things in Zot despite having a shield, crystal plate mail and pumping up Dex due to a demon whip, which wasn't all that useful, because even a fire orb could be quickly bolted to death. So I guess my advice is - crossbows are good, use them!

For this message the author zasvid has received thanks:
golan2072

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice