Draconian Questions (and using Dragon form)

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 17th April 2012, 15:28

Draconian Questions (and using Dragon form)

The one thing I'd like from the Crawl wiki is a list of precisely which dragon types Draconians transform into using Dragon Form.

That isn't listed on the mass Dragons page and it isn't listed on the Draconians page, and I don't have the where-with-all to know all the data offhand and write it myself.
Last edited by XuaXua on Thursday, 19th April 2012, 14:20, edited 1 time in total.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 17th April 2012, 15:38

Re: I'm annoyed by everyone calling the wiki outdated!

XuaXua wrote:The one thing I'd like from the Crawl wiki is a list of precisely which dragon types Draconians transform into using Dragon Form.

That isn't listed on the mass Dragons page and it isn't listed on the Draconians page, and I don't have the where-with-all to know all the data offhand and write it myself.

Code:
monster_type dragon_form_dragon_type()
{
    switch (you.species)
    {
        case SP_WHITE_DRACONIAN:
             return MONS_ICE_DRAGON;
        case SP_GREEN_DRACONIAN:
             return MONS_SWAMP_DRAGON;
        case SP_YELLOW_DRACONIAN:
             return MONS_GOLDEN_DRAGON;
        case SP_GREY_DRACONIAN:
             return MONS_IRON_DRAGON;
        case SP_BLACK_DRACONIAN:
             return MONS_STORM_DRAGON;
        case SP_PURPLE_DRACONIAN:
             return MONS_QUICKSILVER_DRAGON;
        case SP_MOTTLED_DRACONIAN:
             return MONS_MOTTLED_DRAGON;
        case SP_PALE_DRACONIAN:
             return MONS_STEAM_DRAGON;
        case SP_RED_DRACONIAN:
        default:
             return MONS_DRAGON;
    }
}

From transform.cc

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 17th April 2012, 16:01

minmay wrote:except it doesn't actually work in tiles

Huh, I wonder how hard that would be to change...

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 17th April 2012, 16:37

minmay wrote:Because that's not how it works. They just keep their breath weapon (with increased power) and resistances. There is no such thing as players turning into monsters, and I hope there never will be.

Do Grey Draconians get the Iron Dragon breath weapon when they transform then, or no breath weapon?
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 17th April 2012, 17:09

No breath weapon

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 17th April 2012, 18:12

On a wonderfully offtopic thought, I've always wanted iron dragons to leave hides. When enchanted it should be something like a crystal plate with reduced EV penalty, and no resistances. Maybe 14 ac, -5 ev, no resists? I can dream ;)

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 17th April 2012, 20:25

minmay wrote:Because that's not how it works. They just keep their breath weapon (with increased power) and resistances.

They also keep their scales mutations, which means they'll generally have more AC in dragon form than other species. Just double checked that in wiz. A level 27 Merfolk had 16 AC in Dragon Form and a level 27 Mottled Draconian had 26 AC.
The best strategy most frequently overlooked by new players for surviving: not starting a fight to begin with.

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 17th April 2012, 22:07

Re: Draconians using Dragon form

XuaXua wrote:The one thing I'd like from the Crawl wiki is a list of precisely which dragon types Draconians transform into using Dragon Form.

Could you stop derailing thread, with off-topic questions and ideas? How hard is it to create a new one?
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 18th April 2012, 02:04

I submitted a patch that uses the tiles for the various dragon types mentioned in that code snippet I referenced for draconians casting dragon form.

https://crawl.develz.org/mantis/view.php?id=5572

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 18th April 2012, 02:06

galehar wrote:

Could you stop derailing thread, with off-topic questions and ideas? How hard is it to create a new one?

It's easier when the moderators do it for me, apparently. :D

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 18th April 2012, 17:50

So... sort of on topic.

Pre-level-7 Draconian gains mutation "breathes fire".
Draconian turns out to be gray (*$%&*#$!!!!).
Gray (or Grey, whatever) Draconian casts Spider Form.
Spider can breathe fire.

Red draconian casts Spider Form.
Spider cannot breathe fire.

Completely understandable since the first one is a "mutation" and the second one is an aspect of race, but I found it semi strange.

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 19th April 2012, 07:40

Interactions between forms, racial mutations and random mutations is scary...
Also, I hope you're playing trunk so you can enjoy your brand-new iron-grey draconian :)
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 19th April 2012, 14:16

galehar wrote:Interactions between forms, racial mutations and random mutations is scary...
Also, I hope you're playing trunk so you can enjoy your brand-new iron-grey draconian :)

Iron-Grey are not in crawl_tiles-0.11-a0-1191, which is the latest off the RSS feed.

Was always slightly annoyed (but understood and glad it got rationalized out due to weight) by the shallow water penalty.

I almost considered suggesting having a draconian that lost the vestigal wings.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 19th April 2012, 14:20

Re: Draconian Questions (and using Dragon form)

If you have pre-color draconian Spellcasting of 4, and you change to a Purple Draconian (Spellcasting +2), does your skill get adjusted, or should you have held off feeding the skill till the color change?

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 19th April 2012, 14:35

XuaXua wrote:If you have pre-color draconian Spellcasting of 4, and you change to a Purple Draconian (Spellcasting +2), does your skill get adjusted, or should you have held off feeding the skill till the color change?

You keep the same amount of skill points. When aptitudes change, skill levels are adjusted accordingly. Thus, helding off has no effect.

Aptitudes change the number of skill points needed to reach a certain level, it doesn't change the number of skill points you gain.

For this message the author galehar has received thanks:
XuaXua

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 19th April 2012, 19:28

Yay commits! New tiles... so shiny...

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 14th May 2012, 15:38

Draconian is transmuted into Spider Form.
Hit by a Spear of Dragon Slaying.
The draconian still convulses; should he really?

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 14th May 2012, 20:55

XuaXua wrote:Draconian is transmuted into Spider Form.

Yes. It's Spider Form, not Spider Being.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 14th May 2012, 21:15

galehar wrote:

That strikes me as inconsistent. By that logic, a non-draconian using dragon form shouldn't gain a vulnerability to the dragon-slaying brand, because he's not really a dragon.

For this message the author Tiber has received thanks: 2
rebthor, XuaXua

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 18th May 2012, 18:31

galehar wrote:

Then why can't he use breath weapon when he's in Spider Form?
If I have the poison spit mutation or developed the yellow draconian's acid bite, I've got those.

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 18th May 2012, 19:05

(Caution: I am now officially making things up. Specifically, transmutations lore).

Why's a spider formed dragon still hurt by dragon slaying? Because deep down, he's still a dragon. In his heart. His soul. The cores of his being. That's beyond the scope of transmutation. Instead of changing the expression of yourself, you're changing what yourself means. Instead of reorganization, you've talking redefinition, recreation. Once you get into that stuff you're kind of crossing into the realm of divine powers. Or at the very least crazy transcendental enlightenment metamental nonsense. And we don't even have a skill for enlightenment and/or philosophy (get Grimm working on it, maybe :p).

Why can't a spider formed dragon use his breath weapon? Cause he's got the wrong respiratory system. Why can he still use his acid bite? Cause he's still got a viable delivery system. Why can he still spit poison? Cause spiders can still spit.

Basically, forms incorporate whatever is compatible (and/or fundamental) from the natural form of the caster, and overwrites everything else. So one caster's spider form isn't necessarily the same as another's. Statue forms reflect different body types and shapes. And in the most extreme example, a draconian's genetic heritage will drastically affect his or her dragon forms.

Now, I did make all that up, but it makes sense, and is consistent with the in game interaction of the various forms with racial and non-racial mutations.

For this message the author mageykun has received thanks:
XuaXua

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 18th May 2012, 19:06

That's a long way of saying, "because brands are magic and work however they want to"

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 18th May 2012, 19:22

Well, yeah. But whenever possible, I prefer some kind of justifiable in-universe lore to a simple "because that's how it was decided the game mechanics work". It's a lot more satisfying, and potentially useful to think about. A sense of how things work in-universe can be used to set up a more logical and consistent set of game mechanics. (for instance, the last time the topic of forms and mutations overlap came up it actually revealed some inconsistent bugs for fixing).

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 18th May 2012, 19:30

mageykun wrote:(Caution: I am now officially making things up. Specifically, transmutations lore).

Man magey, you make things up all the time; someone should call you out on it.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 22nd May 2012, 18:25

So... my Draconian in Spider-Form was climbing on walls over some water with low MP and the spell was about to time-out (SEWERS!).

I drank a potion of levitation.

The spider gained the "Fly" status, rather than the levitation status. I was not wearing an amulet of controlled flight; apparently, this controlled flight on draconians should be suppressed in certain forms (Ice Form, Spider Form).

Barkeep

Post Thursday, 24th May 2012, 01:55

Wow. That edge case makes me feel again like the distinction between lev and fly should just not be. Tengu in forms probably do the same.

As things are, it sounds like a bug and probably can go to Mantis.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 24th May 2012, 03:58

njvack wrote:Wow. That edge case makes me feel again like the distinction between lev and fly should just not be. Tengu in forms probably do the same.

As things are, it sounds like a bug and probably can go to Mantis.

Ever since the levitation spell was removed and any bonuses to flight were neutered (seems to only help the overloaded/burdened escape), I haven't felt a compelling reason to fly as a draconian.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice