Okawaru darts gift

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 11th April 2012, 19:45

Okawaru darts gift

I have just got my first okawaru gift -:

You see here 21 runed darts {god gift}

I have never put any xp into throwing. Indeed, in the turn I received the gift my throwing skill was 7.6. But I heard that okawaru does not gift darts unless I have at least 8 throwing skill. Is this not true? How are the gift type determined?

Reading henzell:

"They give a second chance at a missile gift if your best missile skill is at least 8, you are carrying a launcher."

Well, indeed, my best missle skill (Bows) is way above 8. But this means I can receive *any* type of ammo? This is a little strange.

Thanks for any answer.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 11th April 2012, 19:49

Re: Okawaru darts gift

There is a contradiction here. You can't "have never put any xp into throwing" while at the same time having "throwing skill was 7.6".

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 11th April 2012, 19:59

I guess it's possible that he's playing a gladiator, assassin or something that starts with throwing, and never put any extra XP into it. And that heroism is temporarily boosting it to 7.6.

And I'm guessing that the ammo gifts might work similarly to melee weapon gifts - if you have at least some skill in a weapon type, you have a chance to get that type of gift

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 11th April 2012, 20:06

Yes, I played a centaur gladiator and I had heroism on.

Temple Termagant

Post Wednesday, 11th April 2012, 22:24

Okawaru has been known to give really bad gifts every now and then. For example I've received pole arms in games with no pole arms skill. Eventually Okawaru will give you some good items, just keep killing stuff.

Swamp Slogger

Post Thursday, 12th April 2012, 00:32

spacewolf009 wrote:Okawaru has been known to give really bad gifts every now and then.

I think you mean all the time.

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 12th April 2012, 00:58

Okay, I decided to do some wizmode testing (in stable). I have learned the following.

Ammo gifts don't start at all until you hit thowing, bows, crossbows or slings lvl 8. And the heroism boost doesn't count.

Once you're eligible for ammo gifts, there's a second roll to determine the kind of ammo you get, with weighting distributed according to skill ratios.

So all your skill's in bows? Your ammo gifts are 100% arrows. You have 8 bows and 2 throwing? Ammo gifts get divided 80% arrows, 20% darts, approximately. 7 bows and 2 throwing? You get no ammo gifts. Etc.

For this message the author mageykun has received thanks: 4
BlackSheep, Daydreamer, njvack, sanka

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 12th April 2012, 14:02

so I should have waited until after Okra gave my centuar some barding before raising bows? Gee, 17 off-brand +1 arrows, again, Thanks.

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 12th April 2012, 14:13

You'll still get armor / weapon gifts once you become eligible for ammo gifts. Just less of them. (Those percentages I threw around are out of gifted ammo, not all gifts).

So yes, it's convenient if you can hold off on training ranged skills long enough to get the armor gifts you want. But, as a practical matter, if you're going primarily ranged for damage it might be difficult to hold off training your core damage dependent skill (unless you start melee and transition later or something). Especially if you need the delay to survive.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 12th April 2012, 21:26

Do note, the gift timeout after getting ammo is much shorter than getting a weapon or armor. So, you'll be getter more gifts overall if you're getting ammo.
The best strategy most frequently overlooked by new players for surviving: not starting a fight to begin with.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice