Stabber of Kiku Pain Branding

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 30th April 2017, 01:05

Stabber of Kiku Pain Branding

When playing a stabber of Kiku (DEEn in this case) is it better to pain brand the dagger, or to pain brand a rapier or a long blade? I don't know whether the pain branding gets multiplied by the stab. Even if it does, I'm not convinced it's necessary since dagger stabs are already so good. Pain branding a higher-damage weapon might make sense for foes one can't disable easily, though I suppose most of those have rN+ anyway. So which is best?
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 30th April 2017, 01:12

Re: Stabber of Kiku Pain Branding

MainiacJoe wrote:When playing a stabber of Kiku (DEEn in this case) is it better to pain brand the dagger, or to pain brand a rapier or a long blade? I don't know whether the pain branding gets multiplied by the stab. Even if it does, I'm not convinced it's necessary since dagger stabs are already so good. Pain branding a higher-damage weapon might make sense for foes one can't disable easily, though I suppose most of those have rN+ anyway. So which is best?

Honestly I'd prefer to pain-brand something that doesn't suck to melee with when not stabbing, as you've pointed out, dagger stabs don't need the extra damage, the problem is that rapiers are only slightly less awful than daggers at "plain old melee"

A long sword is probably a good choice (demon blade would be optimal) but anything that doesn't require you spend a ton of XP on to do decent melee with is fine (any demon weapon, dire flail, lajatang, etc.)
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 30th April 2017, 04:22

Thanks for your help. What do you think about quarterstaff?
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 30th April 2017, 05:54

MainiacJoe wrote:Thanks for your help. What do you think about quarterstaff?

It's not the worst possible option, but I'm quite certain that there's a better option available.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 30th April 2017, 07:29

MainiacJoe wrote:When playing a stabber of Kiku (DEEn in this case) is it better to pain brand the dagger, or to pain brand a rapier or a long blade? I don't know whether the pain branding gets multiplied by the stab. Even if it does, I'm not convinced it's necessary since dagger stabs are already so good. Pain branding a higher-damage weapon might make sense for foes one can't disable easily, though I suppose most of those have rN+ anyway. So which is best?

It's best to pain brand the fast high enchant weapon you're already skilled for.

Pain brand is so dumbstrong that you don't need to worry about waiting on optimal setups in a 3 rune game. In a 15 rune you want necronomicon or (if you have a ton of EA) demon+eudemon.

For this message the author NhorianScum has received thanks: 2
duvessa, nago

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 30th April 2017, 07:57

I would pain brand a dagger. Since even the fastest long blade has 6 min delay, it doesn't really make sense to pain brand one in preference to a dagger unless it's very good (demon blade+) and already at mindelay.
People pain brand spears for a good reason. Pain damage is kind of ridiculous (it starts beating elec at around 10 skill).

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
nago

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 30th April 2017, 16:01

Well for this particular character an efreet dropped a demon blade in a L3 volcano before I read overnight replies,so I did that. Looking back I might have kept that flaming and pain brand a dagger, but a demon brand of pain is not bad so I'm okay I guess.

Barkeep

Post Monday, 1st May 2017, 16:06

The other nice thing about branding a demon blade is you don't need to switch weapons before beating on a lich. (Well, okay, you probably have dispel undead but still.) I'm real bad at remembering to switch weapons, so 'tab will ultimately kill pretty much anything' is a good place for me to be in.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

For this message the author njvack has received thanks:
Airwolf

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 1st May 2017, 17:47

An early demon blade drop on a kiku stabber is a great pain brand. Usually you want to pain brand the moment you hit 6*, so pain branding a demon blade isn't relevant.

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice