Sewer / undead vaults ?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Snake Sneak

Post Sunday, 8th April 2012, 20:03

Sewer / undead vaults ?

I haven't seen any for a while... i have played about twenty games recently with no sewer or undead vaults, my characters usually make it to dungeon 7-12.

i want low level vaults :D !!

Any idea why this is ?

Abyss Ambulator

Post Sunday, 8th April 2012, 20:09

Re: Sewer / undead vaults ?

Bad luck. Also, this should probably be in Dungeon Crawling Advice.

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 8th April 2012, 22:45

Yeah, just bad luck. They aren't guaranteed; I've gone 10+ games without one before, but every game recently has had them in.
"If the world's a stage, and the people actors, then who the f**k has my script?"

My Games/Anime/Weirdness blog: http://detarame.wordpress.com/

Snake Sneak

Post Sunday, 8th April 2012, 23:55

All right thanks guys.

I just found an awesome ice vault so i guess its all good.

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 10th April 2012, 08:26

Don't just go entering them all without caution. Sewer and Ossuary can be easily beaten with most characters. Bailey should be fine , just make sure you don't open any secret doors, and turn back immediately if you see something nasty. The others you'll need special resistance sets for; rC++ for Ice Cave, rF++ and preferably a wand of digging for Volcano, and so on.

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 10th April 2012, 11:07

I've played probably around a hundred games with three wins, and still haven't seen a volcano. Plenty of sewers, ice caves, baileys etc, but not a single volcano. It's almost a running gag for me. :P

Swamp Slogger

Post Tuesday, 10th April 2012, 14:42

FluidDynamite wrote:I've played probably around a hundred games with three wins, and still haven't seen a volcano. Plenty of sewers, ice caves, baileys etc, but not a single volcano. It's almost a running gag for me. :P

Volcanoes seem to be the most uncommon portal vaults, also I recently got a big wizlab entry vault and the entrance portal got replaced with a mimic! :'(

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 10th April 2012, 14:53

I tend to find Volcanoes in Orc, Lair; I don't recall finding it anywhere else.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 10th April 2012, 18:45

I routinely clear sewer/ossuary/baily when I find them (though often with a lot of blood and sweat), but have yet to enter a volcano that didn't either kill me or send me screaming in terror back to the dungeon. Maybe it's just bad luck so far (missing rF++, or slow race/god, or no digging, or too dependent on hit-and-run tactics.)

Not a criticism -- I keep sticking my nose in because I want to learn what it takes to beat them. :-)
Won with: KeAE^Sif, NaWz^Sif, NaTm^Chei, SpEn^Nmlx, GrEE^Qaz, HOFE^Veh, MiBe^Trog, DrFE^Hep, FoFi^Zin, CeHu^Oka, DjFE^Ash, DrIE^Ru, FeSu^Jiy, GnCA^Usk.
In Progress:
Long-term goal: complete the pantheon.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 10th April 2012, 19:59

mattlistener wrote:I routinely clear sewer/ossuary/baily when I find them (though often with a lot of blood and sweat), but have yet to enter a volcano that didn't either kill me or send me screaming in terror back to the dungeon. Maybe it's just bad luck so far (missing rF++, or slow race/god, or no digging, or too dependent on hit-and-run tactics.)

Not a criticism -- I keep sticking my nose in because I want to learn what it takes to beat them. :-)

Some health and observation of the clock. Honestly. You need to luck around those flames if you don't have rF and beat up some opponents to win rF off them to use. Enemies are usually not where the fire is, except the ones that live in lava. And most of the time there is a safe haven. I have found volcanoes to be much less scary than ice caves.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 10th April 2012, 20:00

XuaXua wrote:I tend to find Volcanoes in Orc, Lair; I don't recall finding it anywhere else.

I think I've seen more volcanoes in Orc than anywhere else. Which means, of course, great odds that the portal will have closed before you find it.

Still, better than that time I had a bazaar appear in Slime. :p

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 10th April 2012, 20:22

On the topic of portal appearances, I recently discovered that the Bailey can generate twice in a single game. Don't know about the others.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 10th April 2012, 21:30

mageykun wrote:
XuaXua wrote:I tend to find Volcanoes in Orc, Lair; I don't recall finding it anywhere else.

I think I've seen more volcanoes in Orc than anywhere else. Which means, of course, great odds that the portal will have closed before you find it.

Still, better than that time I had a bazaar appear in Slime. :p

I always map Orc:4 and am quite systemic with going through all Orc 1-2, 2-3, 3-4 stairwells. I try to ensure each early floor of Orc is done before I completely tackle the next.

Granted, it probably also still possible for Volcano to appear in a completely inaccessible bubble because hey, Orc.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 10th April 2012, 21:30

Grimm wrote:On the topic of portal appearances, I recently discovered that the Bailey can generate twice in a single game. Don't know about the others.

Mad Cavalier vs. Max Axemen, or the same one?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 10th April 2012, 23:38

Pteriforever wrote:Don't just go entering them all without caution. Sewer and Ossuary can be easily beaten with most characters. Bailey should be fine , just make sure you don't open any secret doors, and turn back immediately if you see something nasty. The others you'll need special resistance sets for; rC++ for Ice Cave, rF++ and preferably a wand of digging for Volcano, and so on.

Demanding two pips of resistance for volcanoes and ice caverns means you basically never enter. You simply won't have the chance to have more than one or two pieces of resistance equipment at the depths where those spawn, and even then there's no guarantee the resistances will be the right ones. Almost all volcano maps are going to be manageable for most characters at that depth with no pips of fire resistance at all, and while ice caverns are tougher there aren't really any that require more than one pip of cold resistance. Expecting a wand of digging is just ridiculous, because there's exactly one out of nineteen volcano maps where a wand of digging is even useful.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 11th April 2012, 00:09

I concur with KL here. I put on resists if I have them but if I don't I jump in the portals anyway and almost always survive, now that I've figured out Ice Caves. The only precaution I take is dropping ! or ? just inside the entrance.

XuaXua wrote:
Grimm wrote:On the topic of portal appearances, I recently discovered that the Bailey can generate twice in a single game. Don't know about the others.

I don't know the names - one was the six pointed star fort, the other one was the series of square rooms connected at the corners, with glass windows and a bunch of gnolls and hobgoblins.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 11th April 2012, 09:45

Yeah - rC/rF for ice caves/volcano is definitely not needed, but it does make it considerably more risky. Drop either potions or scrolls depending, and then give it a shot. Taking down ice statues as a melee character with no rC is tough, but if you have > 100 hp it is possible. Still, I've lost a couple characters that way ;) With rC+ it's much easier and with rC++ it's nearly impossible to die to them. Other than the ice statues I don't usually have much trouble in ice caves, unless I manage to get stuck in ice clouds for many, many turns.

In both you can usually find the resistance inside, so once you get that you'll be safe.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 11th April 2012, 13:21

I've died many times in ice caves. I've never died in a volcano, and have had to bail out in semi-panic only a literal handful of times.

The fact that there are no fire equivalents to ice statues (yet?) helps a lot. Of course, what would a hypothetical fire statue do? Conjure Flame next to you, since there's no fire equivalent to Freezing Cloud? (Fire Storm? Uh, yeah.)
You fall off the wall. You have a feeling of ineptitude.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 11th April 2012, 13:26

Fire Storm, ring of flames, and summon dragon (but only fire dragons).

Make it happen, devs. :D

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 11th April 2012, 14:02

Well, there is the volcano's ability to belch flame clouds all over you... does that count?

Or on the player side's, evaporate potions of poison or cast poison cloud + ignite poison for flame clouds. Or evaporate potions of blood and get lucky.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 11th April 2012, 16:49

Grimm wrote:I concur with KL here. I put on resists if I have them but if I don't I jump in the portals anyway and almost always survive, now that I've figured out Ice Caves. The only precaution I take is dropping ! or ? just inside the entrance.

XuaXua wrote:

I don't know the names - one was the six pointed star fort, the other one was the series of square rooms connected at the corners, with glass windows and a bunch of gnolls and hobgoblins.

Those are two different portals then, if the fort was with orcs; the entrances look the same. I've got them both before too, but the first time I did find both it was with a Trowel card. Another was exploration.

Regarding the Ice Caves and Volcanoes, I drop all my potions save 30% of my healing outside the caves and all my scrolls outside the volcano. I never enter with them because I never know if I have to use a different exit than the one I came in.

Also screw the Ice Cave with the big demons in it. What the hell.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 11th April 2012, 16:54

XuaXua wrote:Those are two different portals then, if the fort was with orcs; the entrances look the same. I've got them both before too, but the first time I did find both it was with a Trowel card. Another was exploration.

The fort was with orcs. They are both listed as "bailey" in the morgue file:

Code:
You visited 10 branches of the dungeon, and saw 70 of its levels.
You visited the Abyss 1 time.
You visited 1 bazaar.
You visited 3 portal chambers: volcano, bailey, bailey.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 11th April 2012, 20:02

Grimm wrote:
XuaXua wrote:Those are two different portals then, if the fort was with orcs; the entrances look the same. I've got them both before too, but the first time I did find both it was with a Trowel card. Another was exploration.

The fort was with orcs. They are both listed as "bailey" in the morgue file:

Code:
You visited 10 branches of the dungeon, and saw 70 of its levels.
You visited the Abyss 1 time.
You visited 1 bazaar.
You visited 3 portal chambers: volcano, bailey, bailey.

Yeah, they don't distinguish, I guess.

From my experience, the entrance text is either Axmen or Chevalier depending on the Bailey type, and they each pick from different lists.

Axmen always seems to be the kobolds throwing axes either in a row or in a few diamonds. Guarded by pole-wielding kobolds.
Chevalier is the orcs with poles or crossbows. Guarded by orcs.
Not sure which swaps with that crazy Deep Elf one. One of these things doesn't go with the others.

In any case the Bailey portal is always "The Oraflame is lowering!" text.

For this message the author XuaXua has received thanks:
Grimm

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 13th April 2012, 01:57

I believe that's oriflamme.

Just hope you don't get the bailey filled with Frenchmen :shock:

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice